Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 12:02 PM

166 posts, read 482,888 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am 43, single, no kids, and bringing my job with me. We have an office in Westford, but I don't have to go in very often. I am going to rent for the first year to get to know the neighborhoods before I buy. Currently, I live in San Francisco Bay area, but I am originally from Chicago so the winters are not an issue for me (it's the long periods of sub-zero temps that I have a problem with).

I would like to rent a house and keep my rent a fair bit lower than what I am currently paying - so, under $2500. I don't need or want a big house 800 - 1500 sq. ft. would be plenty, but I would like it somewhat private. I don't want to be completely isolated either, but am happy to drive 15 minutes to a grocery store. I like to do some hiking and occasional sailing/boating/kayaking, otherwise I happily spend a lot of time reading or playing with my dog. Animal friendly is important as my dog loves water, but there are few beaches I can bring my dog where I currently live without getting a ticket for having a dog on the beach. Also would prefer somewhere that leans more liberal with open-minded people.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated and thank you for reading.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 02:08 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
You will find many Sf for rent but they are seasonal rentals. Prices go up in the summer. Sf renting in general will not be easy. Floor through apartment, or Th is most likely. Salem, Ipswich, Manchester by the Sea, Beverly, Marblehead, Rockport, Gloucester, Newburyport all of them off what you are looking for, in general. No beaches for all around dog walking that I know of, but someone else might know better.

Dog friendly is very relative in Eastern MA, it is friendlier nowadays, but probably not as friendly or easy to rent as some other parts of the US. If that is most important then go where you can find the best amenities for your dog. All coastal towns are pretty neat, North of Boston. This is such a small area in comparison from where you are coming from. Not much too choose from.

Good luck!

Old 06-27-2015, 03:56 PM

671 posts, read 900,778 times
Salisbury. The houses on the beach itself are a little smaller and cramped, but if you rented somewhere inland you could get a decent sized one within your budget that offers more privacy.

The beach is dog friendly (I see dogs all the time). It's a long span of beach front so you can avoid the people along the center. There's a restaurant down there that is dog friendly (Capri) as well. [It's a sectioned off area.]

The commute is 30-40 minutes depending how far off 495 you would be living and driving to. I have a few friends who rent there and they haven't had too much issue finding a place that rents to people with dogs.

There's no grocery stores in Salisbury, but you can drive 10 minutes to Seabrook, NH and find everything... very commercial along route 1. Also, there's no sales tax in New Hampshire, which is a bonus to do your shopping there.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:17 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
Salisbury. The houses on the beach itself are a little smaller and cramped, but if you rented somewhere inland you could get a decent sized one within your budget that offers more privacy.

The beach is dog friendly (I see dogs all the time). It's a long span of beach front so you can avoid the people along the center. There's a restaurant down there that is dog friendly (Capri) as well. [It's a sectioned off area.]

The commute is 30-40 minutes depending how far off 495 you would be living and driving to. I have a few friends who rent there and they haven't had too much issue finding a place that rents to people with dogs.

There's no grocery stores in Salisbury, but you can drive 10 minutes to Seabrook, NH and find everything... very commercial along route 1. Also, there's no sales tax in New Hampshire, which is a bonus to do your shopping there.
Salisbury. There are lots of grocery stores in nearby Newburyport and one grocery store in Seabrook NH.
You could even rent something year round within walking distance to the beach. There are small year round houses and lots of condos (and more condos and apartments going up all the time.)

Your dog can run on the beach after Labor Day I think, and before Memorial Day. But dogs aren't allowed on the beach in the summer because people are on the beach. It is a swimming and sunning beach and people don't want dogs running around or pooping in the sand. If there are dogs on the beach in summer, it's because people are breaking the law.

But in Salisbury you have access to the state reservation where everyone in the state (well, ok ) must take their dogs. The dogs love it and they run free on the beach and see all their dog friends. There is a massive apartment complex going up on Beach Rd, almost across from the state reservation--it should be ready soon. A brand new library is almost finished and it will be huge and not very far away.

Salisbury may not be as liberal as most places but you are right next to other towns that are, such as Newburyport. You could also live in Newburyport, just across the bridge, and still have access to the state reservation.

Other towns might be Gloucester where you can walk your dog on a boulevard overlooking the sea--it's gorgeous and the town has the oldest art colony in the country, a vibrant downtown that has restaurants and shops. It has a grocery store and fantastic beaches for swimming. The next town out is Rockport which is a major tourist attraction and art colony.

Ipswich has Crane's beach but dogs aren't allowed that I know of. There is Essex itself, which is filled with antique shops and you can easily get to Rockport and Gloucester.

Most of the towns here are wonderful but you won't find beaches that allow dogs on them during the summer. These are not seaweed strewn waters like in SF where you can't swim. these are gorgeous sandy beaches with people all over the place, both on the sand and swimming in the water.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-27-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 10:51 AM

166 posts, read 482,888 times
Thank you for the replies, they are very helpful.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Salisbury is a "low rent type" town and I do not mean rental costs. I suggest you look at Newburyport, Essex, plus Hampton NH and even in Portsmouth NH.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:35 PM

550 posts, read 680,563 times
Newburyport, Essex, Rockport, Manchester By the Sea and Ipswich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts