Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:50 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I was speaking in the context of Massachusetts. The town consistently votes republican for local and state government. Not saying that is a bad thing, but is indicative of the town's general climate/attitude ... it ain't Harvard, Acton, Groton, Stow, etc. in terms of progressiveness.
In Massachusetts, any town that consistently votes Republican is because the townspeople want reasonable town budgets. All the Massachusetts republicans I know only want fiscal responsiblity, rather than the liberal stance of generous handouts to the needy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Pick one, both does not exist anywhere.

You could compromise by instead of buying, instead renting in a town with a good public school system. But even when the schools are rated highly, beware of crowded classrooms.
There are several options for the OP's budget that satisfy all requirements, and have been suggested here in this thread.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Not quite true. Their local state rep and senator are both liberal Democrats. Their congresswoman is Nikki Tsongas, who won by a good margin in Lancaster. Baker did win there, but he is not a conservative.

It is less progressive than those other towns, but they (at least Harvard and Acton) are extreme left even for Mass.
Can we then agree on "mostly true"?

They've voted for Romney, Herr, Brown, Miller, Saint Aubin, Heffernan ... lib candidates like Tsonga and Galvin, while voted in by Lancaster, are general outliers and won by lesser margins than in neighboring towns (we're taking like 5-8% difference).

Regardless, I think there are better options for the OP if she's willing to give on on some of her wants.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:38 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Can we then agree on "mostly true"?

They've voted for Romney, Herr, Brown, Miller, Saint Aubin, Heffernan ... lib candidates like Tsonga and Galvin, while voted in by Lancaster, are general outliers and won by lesser margins than in neighboring towns (we're taking like 5-8% difference).

Regardless, I think there are better options for the OP if she's willing to give on on some of her wants.
My point is that those voting patterns generally mirror the state as a whole (ie. Romney, Brown). But forget it, this is getting too off topic...

I do think that Lancaster is still one of the top options. Acton, Groton etc. are considerably more expensive and places like Ayer and Shirley do not do it for the schools.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
My point is that those voting patterns generally mirror the state as a whole (ie. Romney, Brown). But forget it, this is getting too off topic...

I do think that Lancaster is still one of the top options. Acton, Groton etc. are considerably more expensive and places like Ayer and Shirley do not do it for the schools.
I agree if looking at purely school systems. West Groton is considerably cheaper than the town center or east Groton; however, the location can add 10-15 minutes to a commute. As you suggest, Acton is a non-starter if the OP doesn't want to go the town house route. While Ayer provides good access and low entry prices, as you also suggest, the school system is not stellar and shows few signs of improving as the town still remains transient in nature. Hard to improve schools when a significant chunk of the populace are low income renters (no ownership). I also think the home values in Ayer have surpassed reasonable thinking, i.e., commuter rail bubble.

Littleton and Stow are also good options, but like Acton, are priced beyond the OP's budget unless she and her partner are willing to settle for a poverty shack.

IMO, Lancaster and Sterling are the only towns I can think of which realistically check most of OPs boxes. I give the edge to Sterling for quality of life and bang for your buck. Lancaster edges Sterling on schools and access to rt. 2/495, but I find the inventory in town to be of lower quality (mostly small sqft post-war stuff or well aged (worn) antiques).

Old 07-11-2015, 01:04 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
Can you buy in Maynard for $350K? That's probably the best bet with a commute to Hanscom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts