Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:44 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,202,555 times

Advertisements

For those of you that were so kind and helpful with my questions in the past....I am calling on you once again. We are now considering Winchester for it's charming downtown area and ponds but still accessible to Boston via train instead of Newton. What do you all think? There is a part of us that would like to experience being closer to a city feel but another that likes the calm and space of the burbs. Is Winchester a good alternative to Wellesley in affordability and Newton to more space with it's own downtown area? My husband works from home and I am a stay at home mom. My hubby also loves to fish and kyake. I really appreciate your patience with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 06:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
For those of you that were so kind and helpful with my questions in the past....I am calling on you once again. We are now considering Winchester for it's charming downtown area and ponds but still accessible to Boston via train instead of Newton. What do you all think? There is a part of us that would like to experience being closer to a city feel but another that likes the calm and space of the burbs. Is Winchester a good alternative to Wellesley in affordability and Newton to more space with it's own downtown area? My husband works from home and I am a stay at home mom. My hubby also loves to fish and kyake. I really appreciate your patience with me.
wellesley, is very high class, and they do not welcome new comers.

winchester is nice, but newton is best

Old 11-12-2006, 07:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Quote:
Winchester is a very nice small town that many people missed. It is a small town only 8 miles from Boston. I think their HS is just as good. However, it has about 200 kids per class versus 400 kids from Lexington or Newton North or South. It is almost like a Lexington but smaller and have a nice downtown. I do not think there are MBTA subway trains. Only commuter trains/rail. This means trains do not run very often. Only 1-2 times an hour.

Again the prices are not cheap. Very limited 4 bedrooms under $500K.Half of the 4Bed listings are over $1millon.

One thing I am confused is if both you and your husband are HOME based and if commuter rail schedule is acceptable, Why just Newton and Winchester? There are so many communities that the commuter train touches have nice downtown and ponds.

As to Kayaking, Natick and Newton both have rentals. You can paddle all the way into Boston via the Charles river. Winchester has places where you can kayak. There are many rivers like the Sudbury River, Concord, ...etc where you can Kayak also. LL Bean just open a store in Burlington, they offer Kayaking classes in nearby pond also. (Got a free lession from them on opening day).

Old 11-12-2006, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Winchester is a very nice small town that many people missed. It is a small town only 8 miles from Boston. I think their HS is just as good. However, it has about 200 kids per class versus 400 kids from Lexington or Newton North or South. It is almost like a Lexington but smaller and have a nice downtown. I do not think there are MBTA subway trains. Only commuter trains/rail. This means trains do not run very often. Only 1-2 times an hour.

Again the prices are not cheap. Very limited 4 bedrooms under $500K.Half of the 4Bed listings are over $1millon.

One thing I am confused is if both you and your husband are HOME based and if commuter rail schedule is acceptable, Why just Newton and Winchester? There are so many communities that the commuter train touches have nice downtown and ponds.

As to Kayaking, Natick and Newton both have rentals. You can paddle all the way into Boston via the Charles river. Winchester has places where you can kayak. There are many rivers like the Sudbury River, Concord, ...etc where you can Kayak also. LL Bean just open a store in Burlington, they offer Kayaking classes in nearby pond also. (Got a free lession from them on opening day).
I understand your question about other areas. We just don't want to be stuck way out in rural areas far from neighbors and the town, like Sudbury and or Concord, both of which we loved but think we would go nuts. We even discussed Beacon Hill and Back Bay today if you can believe it! I just think the quality of life would suffer living right in the city having to walk four dogs, especially in the winter and my son (13) being one of the walkers (nightime?) I would also miss the privacey and a yard where they can run free for a change and free us up to stay out longer without having to run home and walk them. Do you agree? Thank goodness we have 7 months to decide!!!!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I understand your question about other areas. We just don't want to be stuck way out in rural areas far from neighbors and the town, like Sudbury and or Concord, both of which we loved but think we would go nuts. We even discussed Beacon Hill and Back Bay today if you can believe it! I just think the quality of life would suffer living right in the city having to walk four dogs, especially in the winter and my son (13) being one of the walkers (nightime?) I would also miss the privacey and a yard where they can run free for a change and free us up to stay out longer without having to run home and walk them. Do you agree? Thank goodness we have 7 months to decide!!!!
why not check out norwood?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
You might want to look into Medfield. They have a really good school system and they are on the train line.

Wherever you end up, check out how many dogs you are permitted to have before you are required to apply for a kennel license. I know in my town it is only 3, and we are more rural than the places you've mentioned.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Oh and Westwood is another really nice town nearby.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Default westwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Oh and Westwood is another really nice town nearby.
westwood is real nice as weston and dover.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:46 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
Quote:
Base on what I think you are looking for (and how picky you are with schools), the only communities that fit your criteria is Newton and Belmont. They have good schools, easy to get into the city via MBTA subway/bus.

If you want more urban town, Brookline is another choice (really close to the city). No need for cars.

On the other side (more rural), Lexington, Winchester, Wellesley, Needham.

If school is not as important (you can send your kid to private school), you have many more choices. Many of the North or South Shore communities like Quincy have easy access to the city. You will love the bars by the water front (Marina Bay)

btw... I have not seen too many people get mugged walking 4 BIG dogs.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 PM

If only they were big..they total 45lbs altogether. Thank you again for all your input oh, and private schools are out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts