U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 8,126 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently rent in Stoughton, but we are planning on buying a home in the spring (2016). I am curious to hear others' thoughts on Medway. Public schools are a major priority, but we feel intimidated by some of the fancier ones. We liked Sherborn because of all of the large lots and because the schools are good, but we heard the high school had Lululemon day for spirit week and that scared us off. I like $100 yoga pants as much as the next guy, but it strikes me as odd that all the girls in that high school are expected to have some. We feel that Stoughton high school isn't fancy enough though. We would like our kids to go to school with mostly 4 year college bound kids.

We are many years away from high school, but it's hard to find useful information on middle and elementary schools. For elementary school I want my kids to get as much recess as possible. When I was a kid, I would have liked an elementary school that wasn't always running out of black crayons and had given me more time to play basketball. Presumably my kids will have similar needs and desires so I'm not sure then what makes one elementary school better than another. I know that some schools are much better than others at educating children with special needs. So far none of my kids have special needs, but I think more highly of schools that take that seriously.

As for what we're looking for in a neighborhood, we would like to have our kids play outside as much as possible. Ideally I would be able to let my kids loose and not have to worry about someone calling the cops on me. I'm interested in lots that are 2 acres or more or that back up to a conservation area because I have had bad experiences with neighbors. Either I'm unlucky or not likable because in many of the places I've lived some of the neighbors didn't care for me or my family. It would be great if we could live near families that like us and have kids the same age as our kids. There were some kids that lived across the street that played well with our kids and we were always in and out of each others houses. The mom was nice and laid back and we were all happier because our kids had friends and we trusted each other to watch them. They moved a few weeks ago. On moving day a cranky lady next door threatened to call the police on her because her kids were playing outside. They are 3,7, and 10. The move and the police threat was a double whammy. Time to move!

My wife and I grew up in Chapel Hill, NC. It's a liberal college town and we are educated and liberal. We don't go to church and don't plan on starting. We would like to spend $600k or less on a house. Our commutes are to back bay and ruggles. I'm sure there are fancy places close to the city in our price range, but we want space, privacy, and with some luck neighbors that like us and don't break out in hives when they see unattended children. If I had to sum us up I would say that we're 'semi-crunchy family oriented reluctant rat racers'.

So hopefully that gives you an idea of who we are and what we want.

We're also considering Norfolk. A commuter rail line that goes to back bay is a must so anything north is out and south shore area is out. We are open to any other suggestions. Thanks for reading this long-winded post! Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:20 PM

6,097 posts, read 9,434,392 times
Norfolk would meet your transportation needs the best. In Medway, you'd have to catch the train from Franklin. Millis might be a good fit for you (their schools are good) but you'd have to travel to Norfolk for the train.

The biggest expense in Sherborn isn't Lululemon but the high property taxes you'd be paying to maintain that school.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:49 PM

959 posts, read 590,913 times
Why not Franklin? It doesn't have the "best" schools in central/eastern MA, but the system is still well regarded with the majority of students being college bound. A solidly upper middle class town.

The internet is showing a few 2000sqft homes on 2+ acres within your budget and a short(ish) drive from the commuter rail station.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:33 PM

Yes, Franklin would fit within his budget. He mentioned Norfolk which is a little more upscale.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 8,126 times
Thank you everyone for the responses.

I have been paying attention to taxes. I get my info from here:
Massachusetts property-tax rates in 2015, by town and city (BBJ DataCenter) - Boston Business Journal

How does Millis compare to Medway? My impression is that it isn't growing or turning over which might make it difficult to find friends. Medway seems to have more growth. Is that correct? I haven't driven through Franklin. At first we eliminated it because of the commute, but I don't think it would be different than Medway. I will look into it more.

I like Norfolk a lot but I hear a lot of people send their kids to private high school rather than the regional public high school. I can't afford four private high school educations. I've found a few homes in Norfolk that have enough privacy and that are affordable. I just don't wanna pay a bunch in taxes to send my kids to a mediocre high school when there are better ones around.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM

959 posts, read 590,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, Franklin would fit within his budget. He mentioned Norfolk which is a little more upscale.
Agreed, but I figured I'd throw it out there as it offers good commuter rail access and, relative to Stoughton, will still be a significant leap up in quality of life (except for the commute).

Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM

5,491 posts, read 5,555,346 times
Easton, Walpole and possibly Franklin offer that idyllic life you seek for you and your family. Needham does too, but it is out of your budget.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:54 AM

63 posts, read 67,329 times
West Mansfield would give what you are looking for. Good schools, lots that back up to woods or conservation land. You'll get Mansfield resident parking in the station and the train gets you to backbay much faster than than from Franklin(30 mins vs 1 hr).

Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Easton, Walpole and possibly Franklin offer that idyllic life you seek for you and your family. Needham does too, but it is out of your budget.
Needham isn't rural. The lots aren't that big.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:34 AM

2,762 posts, read 1,495,376 times
I have friends who live in Medway and they love it. The husband grew up in Medway. They both work in boston and I'm not sure I could do the commute everyday but they dont mind. They both make about 200k combined and were able to get a very nice new house house, about 3500 sq ft for about 600k in 2012 in a beautiful neighborhood. They say that even if they lived in a place like milton they'd still have a commute with traffic so I see what they are saying. The schools are also very good. It's not Wellesley or Weston but not everyone wants that. It's a very nice community, right next to Medfield, has a bit of a country vibe to it...i like it...but i think it's a bit too far out for me i think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts