Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:19 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times

Advertisements

There are four regular bus routes between TF Green and Providence, and one near Wickford Junction if the train is out and there is no shuttle bus. And to call Tuesday's weather "thunderstorms" doesn't tell the whole story; trees and flooding everywhere, and much of Warwick was without power for a few days. I wouldn't be surprised if there were trees on the tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 3,509 times
mansfield has an excellent train commute, 22 minutes from mansfield to south station
avoid the other choices. the druggie culture has taken over those communites

plainville would be a nice community if mansfield does not do it

Old 09-08-2015, 04:08 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplestars View Post
mansfield has an excellent train commute, 22 minutes from mansfield to south station
avoid the other choices. the druggie culture has taken over those communites

plainville would be a nice community if mansfield does not do it
22 minutes to South Station? Keep dreaming.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:25 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Haha, I thought the same thing. Try 45 on a good day.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:31 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I was thinking maybe she meant 22 minutes on the train, but I just looked it up. 32 minutes on the express and 46 minutes on the local. Google maps says it's 1 hour 18 minutes driving right now from Boston to Mansfield and it's only 4:30pm.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:32 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I was thinking maybe she meant 22 minutes on the train, but I just looked it up. 32 minutes on the express and 46 minutes on the local. Google maps says it's 1 hour 18 minutes driving right now from Boston to Mansfield and it's only 4:30pm.
You can add at least 10 minutes to the published schedule courtesy of Keolis being Keolis.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:52 PM

374 posts, read 655,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks68 View Post
Hi,

My husband's in the Navy and is working at Newport RI. I found a job in Boston near South Station. I was planning on taking the commuter rail into the city. We want to live close to one of the commuter stations but still have an hour or less commute for my husband going into Newport RI. I'm looking at the Providence or Middleborough line. Any suggestions on towns/cities we should consider? We have a son but he'll be going into daycare so we don't need to worry about schools just yet.

Cities that we're considering just looking at Google and the commute:
Easton
Mansfield
Raynham
Taunton
Berkley
Lakeville
Bridegwater
Seekonk

I've heard that Taunton has a lot of crime. Is it as bad as it sounds? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have been surprised at the people making comments on these threads lately. They do not seem to want to help people. They also seem to be ignorant of the reality on the ground in many of the communities.

The drive to Newport will be tough from a few of those places. The drive to commuter rail would be tough from a few of those places. You would want to place yourself on fast commuter rail into Boston. The Lakeville line is not faster of two choices as presented here. You are suggesting towns that would take time JUST to reach the commuter rail station.

Mansfield would have fast commuter rail. IT would be nice if you can find something near the train station. Route 106 is a nightmare with traffic. IT is SLOW. The constant construction in Easton over the years had not helped, either.

Your choice of supermarkets in Mansfield is not the best for quality and price. Actually, it is not very good in Seekonk, Berkley, or Easton.

If you put yourself in Bridgewater, then your husband would be looking at a pain with Rt 104 just to reach 24. 24 would require some time to reach the island. You would be surprised at how 30 minutes can pass just trying to reach the highway on these local roads during commuting times.

Mansfield would actually enable him to skip Route 106 and head south via Route 118 and some low key back roads. He would actually be at the RI border very quickly. He would be over the other bridge and on the island in good time. Mansfield's property taxes and valuations are high.

I would only recommend Mansfield due to the ease of commuting. I would avoid Attleboro or North Attleboro.

Easton - overpriced, drive to train, longer drive to RI
Raynham - bizarre traffic patterns, drive to train, about same time or bit longer to RI
Berkley - overpriced, long time to reach train
Lakeville - can have long drive to train, long drive to RI
Seekonk - overpriced, drive to train

Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 PM

15 posts, read 29,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarks68 View Post
Hi,

My husband's in the Navy and is working at Newport RI. I found a job in Boston near South Station. I was planning on taking the commuter rail into the city. We want to live close to one of the commuter stations but still have an hour or less commute for my husband going into Newport RI. I'm looking at the Providence or Middleborough line. Any suggestions on towns/cities we should consider? We have a son but he'll be going into daycare so we don't need to worry about schools just yet.

Cities that we're considering just looking at Google and the commute:
Easton
Mansfield
Raynham
Taunton
Berkley
Lakeville
Bridegwater
Seekonk

I've heard that Taunton has a lot of crime. Is it as bad as it sounds? Any advice would be much appreciated.

No real advice , OP. Just commiserating - we have a similar situation on the other side of the city! I hope you find something that works! I see you've had a few comments about "just ditch one of the person's jobs" (because its that easy, right!) which im sure you find frustrating as well. Anyhow, my fingers are crossed for you.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:59 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ey View Post
I have been surprised at the people making comments on these threads lately. They do not seem to want to help people. They also seem to be ignorant of the reality on the ground in many of the communities.

The drive to Newport will be tough from a few of those places. The drive to commuter rail would be tough from a few of those places. You would want to place yourself on fast commuter rail into Boston. The Lakeville line is not faster of two choices as presented here. You are suggesting towns that would take time JUST to reach the commuter rail station.

Mansfield would have fast commuter rail. IT would be nice if you can find something near the train station. Route 106 is a nightmare with traffic. IT is SLOW. The constant construction in Easton over the years had not helped, either.

Your choice of supermarkets in Mansfield is not the best for quality and price. Actually, it is not very good in Seekonk, Berkley, or Easton.

If you put yourself in Bridgewater, then your husband would be looking at a pain with Rt 104 just to reach 24. 24 would require some time to reach the island. You would be surprised at how 30 minutes can pass just trying to reach the highway on these local roads during commuting times.

Mansfield would actually enable him to skip Route 106 and head south via Route 118 and some low key back roads. He would actually be at the RI border very quickly. He would be over the other bridge and on the island in good time. Mansfield's property taxes and valuations are high.

I would only recommend Mansfield due to the ease of commuting. I would avoid Attleboro or North Attleboro.

Easton - overpriced, drive to train, longer drive to RI
Raynham - bizarre traffic patterns, drive to train, about same time or bit longer to RI
Berkley - overpriced, long time to reach train
Lakeville - can have long drive to train, long drive to RI
Seekonk - overpriced, drive to train

After giving it some thought, Seekonk actually might not be bad for both commutes. Your husband can drive to Newport via routes 195/24. The route avoids Providence and is probably about 45 minutes. Worst part of it is probably over the Braga Bridge through Fall River. You would have two somewhat close (as long as you don't live in S Seekonk) commuter rail options at S Attleboro and downtown Attleboro. Furthermore, Seekonk is very close to Providence for after work options.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:17 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
If you want a little more of a bigger city, maybe New Bedford. Just throwing it out there.
If you are going to recommend New Bedford, I would say that Fall River is better in terms of crime, quality of life (relatively) and location (Route 24). Of course, I don't know if I would live in either one of those cities, but just sayin'. There are nicer areas of Fall River near the Charlton Memorial Hospital.

Driving down to Newport on Route 24/W. Main Road is tricky. You could catch a lot of traffic on random days, and it's mostly one or two lanes.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts