U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,167 times

Advertisements

Can you please weigh the towns of Canton, Holliston and Walpole against each other in terms of :
1. community feel
2. schools
3. accessibility
4. safety
5. affluence
6. diversity
We are an Indian family with 4 kids ranging in age from preschool to high school. I am looking for a decent school system as well as easy access (20-30 mins) to good private schools, if any of the kids needs to be challenged more.
Holliston's downtown is very pretty. And they have a couple of community days throughout the year.
I heard Walpole has a prison.
I have never been to Canton so I can't comment. But its neighboring towns of Brockton and Holbrook have high crime rates which seems worrisome.

Which would you say is the most affluent town among the three? And best among the three towns to raise a family?
Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:03 AM

3,192 posts, read 3,093,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdorosario View Post
Can you please weigh the towns of Canton, Holliston and Walpole against each other in terms of :
1. community feel
2. schools
3. accessibility
4. safety
5. affluence
6. diversity
We are an Indian family with 4 kids ranging in age from preschool to high school. I am looking for a decent school system as well as easy access (20-30 mins) to good private schools, if any of the kids needs to be challenged more.
Holliston's downtown is very pretty. And they have a couple of community days throughout the year.
I heard Walpole has a prison.
I have never been to Canton so I can't comment. But its neighboring towns of Brockton and Holbrook have high crime rates which seems worrisome.

Which would you say is the most affluent town among the three? And best among the three towns to raise a family?
Thanks very much!
Canton does not border Brockton or Holbrook. It borders Norwood, Sharon, Stoughton, Milton, Dedham, Westwood and Randolph

As far as schools go, all three towns have pretty good systems. I believe they would rank Holliston, then Walpole and then Canton.

Diversity would rank like this - Canton, then Walpole and then Holliston.

Holliston's accessibility is not as good as Canton and Walpole. Both of those towns have direct highway access and multiple stops on the commuter rail. Plus they're closer to Boston than Holliston is.

I am not too sure about affluence, maybe you could look into which town has the highest average household income.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:46 AM

6,097 posts, read 9,425,691 times
Holliston is the more affluent community with the best schools. Least diverse.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:37 AM

12 posts, read 8,257 times
I think of all the 3 towns you have listed, Canton has the best proximity to area private schools. The ones that jump to mind are Milton academy, St Agatha's, St Mary of the Hills, St John the evangelist, Nobles, Ursuline etc..There are also 3 montessori schools in this area for your preschooler/elementary school children too, should you decide to go that route. One of them goes up until Middle school.
Walpole-Many people are saying it is an upcoming town, given the proximity to the city and home values. It is close to foxboro, norwood, dedham, wellesley so there are LOADS of facilities in terms of activities for kids on weekends and after school.
Holliston is a great community but accessibility wise, I am not so sure. I agree with the above post that Holliston is not very diverse either. I looked at the school rankings and it seems like school digger rates canton and walpole elementary schools quite well.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 AM

2,644 posts, read 3,520,219 times
I'm wondering why you've narrows it down to those three particular cities? Depending on your budget therebarebother towns that might work as well.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,044,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I'm wondering why you've narrows it down to those three particular cities? Depending on your budget therebarebother towns that might work as well.
Agree. What about Hopkinton? Natick? Westwood? Sharon? There are many great towns to chose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts