Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:45 AM

649 posts, read 816,721 times

Advertisements

You CAN commute from that far west, people do it every day. Flying in on the pike from west wherever adds a negligible amount to your commute since everyone hits the same bottleneck, moving further west generally doesn't add another bottleneck. People can say move to Natick or Framingham, and while technically closer to Waltham I don't think they make the carbound person's routine commute to Waltham any easier or faster and It is the carbound person's life that will suck the worst. The thing moving to Natick or closer in might offer is the ability to have multiple ways into Waltham in case there is an accident, snow, whatever. From west wherever you are totally dependent on the pike traffic moving at 60mph until you hit Newton for your commute to Waltham to be reasonable (an hour fifteenish), if there is ONE thing amiss- snow, rain, accident; you are easily close to two hours. If you can work from home or have alot of flexibilty in the Waltham job then living that far west is more tenable.

Once you are each spending an additional 15 hours a week commuting how much does it really matter if there are sidewalks you don't have time to walk on or neighbors you don't have time to meet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
You CAN commute from that far west, people do it every day. Flying in on the pike from west wherever adds a negligible amount to your commute since everyone hits the same bottleneck, moving further west generally doesn't add another bottleneck. People can say move to Natick or Framingham, and while technically closer to Waltham I don't think they make the carbound person's routine commute to Waltham any easier or faster and It is the carbound person's life that will suck the worst. The thing moving to Natick or closer in might offer is the ability to have multiple ways into Waltham in case there is an accident, snow, whatever. From west wherever you are totally dependent on the pike traffic moving at 60mph until you hit Newton for your commute to Waltham to be reasonable (an hour fifteenish), if there is ONE thing amiss- snow, rain, accident; you are easily close to two hours. If you can work from home or have alot of flexibilty in the Waltham job then living that far west is more tenable.

Once you are each spending an additional 15 hours a week commuting how much does it really matter if there are sidewalks you don't have time to walk on or neighbors you don't have time to meet?
^^

That last sentence is me. I always suggest if you are moving somewhere to have a 1 hour commute, your spouse has to have a < 15 minute commute otherwise it's not worth it. Once you have kids it's extremely difficult for both parents to have a 1 hour commute. It's not impossible, but you'll be stressed out of your mind.

I used to work in Waltham. I had a coworker who lived in Westborough and her husband worked in Boston. Both had a 1+ hour commute. She put off having kids for so long because they just wouldn't be able to handle it until one of them found a job closer to home.

OP: You're asking about good schools so I'm wondering if you have kids yet. If not then I hope your $750k budget takes into consideration the $2k/month you'll be spending on daycare.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
My wife and I both have 1 hour commutes (she drives; I take commuter rail). The only stressful part is the unpredictability of the commuter rail during the evening rush. Two parents relying on commuter rail is a recipe for disaster. We use a daycare near our house so the drop off and pick up can be divided up evenly in case of unexpected illness or work issues.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 8,830 times
Good points - gives me a lot to think about. I did not know about the bus from Concord/Acton to Copley so thanks for that. We do have a 1.5 year old right now, and our budget does factor in daycare. We've been saving like crazy for our next house so looking in places like Newton is disheartening because some of the houses in our price range need a ton of work, are on top of each other, and not what we were envisioning. We were impressed by the houses and neighborhodds out in Southborough/Hopkinton, but you all are right - the stress of us both commuting an hour and never being home isn't worth it.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
What's your budget? Looking to the south along 128 might make sense. The traffic to Waltham isn't great, but it's not awful, either and 128 is free.
Is this some new development? When I commuted from Arlington to Newton, the traffic between Rt. 9 and Rt. 2 on Rt. 128 was terrible (mostly going in the other direction).

Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I was driving to Newton every day for 2 years from the south and 128 was a soul sucking nightmare without fail.
Much closer to my experience.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmch View Post
Good points - gives me a lot to think about. I did not know about the bus from Concord/Acton to Copley so thanks for that. We do have a 1.5 year old right now, and our budget does factor in daycare. We've been saving like crazy for our next house so looking in places like Newton is disheartening because some of the houses in our price range need a ton of work, are on top of each other, and not what we were envisioning. We were impressed by the houses and neighborhodds out in Southborough/Hopkinton, but you all are right - the stress of us both commuting an hour and never being home isn't worth it.
Put me in the camp of people who think you should adjust your expectations on your home and neighborhood and buy in Waltham (or somewhere close). Having a short commute adds much more to your quality of life than the size of the lot your home is built on, IMO. (And as someone else pointed out, if you're living out in Southborough or somewhere, the amount of time you have to spend at home is going to be limited.)

Old 08-19-2015, 08:44 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Is this some new development? When I commuted from Arlington to Newton, the traffic between Rt. 9 and Rt. 2 on Rt. 128 was terrible (mostly going in the other direction).
It could be the time of day when I left or it could be expectation. This was a few years ago and I knew once I got past the turnpike I could generally drive fast (albeit in heavy traffic) until I got to near Burlington. Staying in the far left lane helped.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 AM

974 posts, read 1,899,079 times
Plus -- a one hour commute today is no guarantee of a one hour commute two-five years from now. Traffic is not going to get better as more and more people are "forced" into the 'burbs due to housing costs.

I'd adjust my expectations for multiple options... what gives you the MOST options for today and a few years from now.

Southborough, Hopkinton -- sure you can work in Worcester County and have a shorter commute. But, would you make the same $$$ or have same options as a Boston commute?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Sidewalks are over-rated. People simply walk on the street (as long as there isn't much car traffic). In the winter, the good thing is you don't have to clear the sidewalks (req by law and some towns levy fines on the homeowner for not doing so - but that usually happens in the city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts