Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:32 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Considering a house in Danvers. House is beautiful, but a big negative is the fact that there is a natural gas easement running through the property. It cuts across the street, through the front yard (with a vent) and along the side of the house and then cuts back across the backyard and exits the rear of the property. I can see another vent stack beyond the rear fence.

It's a transmission pipe owned by Tennessee Gas Pipeline. Googling them shows a pretty decent accident list of line failures.

So...what are your thoughts on easements? Keep looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 07:02 AM

317 posts, read 431,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Considering a house in Danvers. House is beautiful, but a big negative is the fact that there is a natural gas easement running through the property. It cuts across the street, through the front yard (with a vent) and along the side of the house and then cuts back across the backyard and exits the rear of the property. I can see another vent stack beyond the rear fence.

It's a transmission pipe owned by Tennessee Gas Pipeline. Googling them shows a pretty decent accident list of line failures.

So...what are your thoughts on easements? Keep looking?
Even not knowing much about gas pipelines and easement situations (as I'm sure is the case with many homebuyers), my reaction to the description is not good. Therefore, keep in mind how this may affect potential resale value. I think this would deter homeowners with children the most.

However, perhaps this situation is already reflected in the price? Is price notably lower than comparable houses? Also, does the gas company pay any recurring fee for this easement?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:07 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
I would avoid it. It could be hassle for resale and that is never good. If it gave you a pause, it will do the same to other people.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
I think this would deter homeowners with children the most.

However, perhaps this situation is already reflected in the price? Is price notably lower than comparable houses? Also, does the gas company pay any recurring fee for this easement?
We have kids as well, so this is a make or break detail here to consider.

Price of house is slightly below market. In fact, we wondered why it was so cheap and not selling until we noted the gas easement at a viewing. It pretty much runs alongside the house and then bisects the backyard. Definitely no pools can be going in.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:42 AM

Got a copy of the plot plan. Between the easement, and the wetlands area on the sides with "no build" zone, I have all off 200sq feet dead center to put a shed or pool.

Not going to work for us. Moving on.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 AM

317 posts, read 431,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Got a copy of the plot plan. Between the easement, and the wetlands area on the sides with "no build" zone, I have all off 200sq feet dead center to put a shed or pool.

Not going to work for us. Moving on.
I recently bought a house, and I noticed that if a home had been listed for a significantly longer time than the average for the town, there is usually a reason. FYI you can see how long the property has been listed on MLS listings. Note that sometimes a house is listed, then priced reduced and relisted, and sometimes this will reset the amount of daysllisted - so (if using realtor.com) always click the Property History tab for a more accurate picture of how long the property has been listed.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
I recently bought a house, and I noticed that if a home had been listed for a significantly longer time than the average for the town, there is usually a reason. FYI you can see how long the property has been listed on MLS listings. Note that sometimes a house is listed, then priced reduced and relisted, and sometimes this will reset the amount of daysllisted - so (if using realtor.com) always click the Property History tab for a more accurate picture of how long the property has been listed.

It actually hasn't been on there long. Under 2 weeks and already a price cut

We were wondering why the huge cut so soon, but I think this easement is the main reason. It's not a corner of the yard....it's pretty much right down the middle of the backyard.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:54 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Easements can be tricky. This one in particular sounds like a bad one. Forgetting that it's a gas line it sounds like it will really affect the use & enjoyment of your property. If you ever want to expand your home it sounds like you'll hit the easement quite easily and likely you're no permitted to build on top of the easement.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:30 PM

248 posts, read 342,856 times
Agree with Mike. It's not so much the nature of the easement (gas line) that would concern me, but that it cuts right through the middle of the property, across the whole length, front to back. And, that it runs close to the house.

That will likely severely restrict any future uses you can make of the property.

One thing I learned to do when shopping for houses a couple of years ago was to pull up the deed on the registry site (masslandrecords.com) and look for easements, liens, restrictions and other possible dealbreaker deed issues. It can save a lot of disappointment to do this, certainly before making an offer, but even before seeing the house.

An easement that just crossed a remote corner of the lot, or that ran right up along the edge on a large lot wouldn't necessarily put me off of a house I otherwise loved, though I'd prefer none at all. I actually found an easement, held by the LDS Church of all things, on the land I own now. After a lot more deed and plan research, I determined that the easement did not belong on this property and was put on the deed by mistake about 30 years ago, it was really on the property next door (they were subdivided). I was able to get the seller's attorney to correct the error on the deed before transfer.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:19 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
The discussed easement aside keep one thing in mind. In newer areas with underground utilities (like no telephone poles) there could be easements all over the place, especially for the first 8-10ft alongside the road like in ones front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts