Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:10 PM

161 posts, read 214,178 times

Advertisements

Thanks all.

I have driven through both Burlington and lynnfield. Will stop and spend more time in each. I've had Burlington mentioned a few times so maybe that's the fit.

King George - things such as safety, price and commute are definitely things we have on our mind while trying to find the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 02:22 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Hummm. Chicago is #1 in my heart, and even though I liked many of the Chicago burbs, I've always had to admit that the East Coast suburbs were actually nicer/prettier, and, dare I say it, more quaint. Especially New England towns, with their commons and downtowns. The suburb I'm in now has no real downtown. In fact, just a few years ago, there was a brand new shopping center development built that I'm in almost every day. The name actually includes "Towne Center" as the shopping center. I'm there practically every day. (There's one of those grocery stores called Wegmans, plus a few other big box stores, and restaurants (mostly chains -- Panera, Red Robin, PF Changs, etc), but a few locally owned businesses like a cupcake bakery and some accessory shops, a local toy store, an independent bookstore, and a shop that sells sports paraphernalia for the local and college teams. It's all new and nice, but I can't help but think about how it's all so fake. It's an approximation of what a "Town Center" should actually be. I'd much prefer a real town center, where these stores existed, with a mix of national chains and local independent businesses.

Is that what you might prefer? It is new and clean and nice, although everybody has to drive to this shopping center, and even though it is supposed to mimic a town center, you can't actually even walk from one end to the other. You can walk around the stores in the middle, but there is no sidewalk or pathway where you can reach one area with big box stores from the center shops or the other area with big box shops.

In terms of Chicago -- I guess there's Skokie with Old Orchard Mall, and every big box under the sun, and there's Evanston, which has many more independent shops and more of an 'old-town' kind of feel (and it has the university influence, as well.) So, I'm guessing you'd prefer Skokie to Evanston? (Or if you know the west side, Oak Brook to Oak Park?) (Just trying to get a sense of what it is you like.)

Last edited by chicagoliz; 09-08-2015 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM

3,685 posts, read 7,421,575 times
Let's not forget, the Chicago metropolitan area has a population of 9.5 million people, more than double the 4.5 million people in Greater Boston. 2.7 million people live within the city of Chicago, compared to just 650,000 people in Boston. It's not an apples to apples comparison. This is an older and smaller region.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:14 PM

I was just trying to figure out what the OP likes/wants.

Many of the towns outside Boston have a lot more history on their own than many of the towns outside Chicago. My current town is on the East Coast but it's in a suburb that has seen significant development over the last 25 years or so. I find it, honestly, kind of boring and it's very car-dependent. Many of the houses and shopping centers are fairly new, but they're pretty standard fare. I don't know if that makes it more 'modern,' like OP wants.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:31 PM

161 posts, read 214,178 times
Chicagoliz,

What town are you in now?

I actually like both Skokie and Evanston. I probably like Evanston more. It doesn't feel so "old fashioned" imo even though it's old. I'd be happy finding something similar to either of those burbs. However, I understand I may have to just change my mindset and understand things are just very different

Old 09-08-2015, 04:34 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,237,965 times
Do you work? Will you and your spouse commute to work?
If, yes, compatible commute to work should be your #1 concern. Although Eastern MA looks very small and manageable on the map. it is far from that, sadly.

You will quickly learn that we have huge traffic/public transportation issues, and being on the right side of the city is essential for your sanity. Please keep that in mind.

Again, good luck.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,643,440 times
Other than maybe Burlington, I can't think of anything in the Boston area that fits your requirements.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf123 View Post
Chicagoliz,

What town are you in now?

I actually like both Skokie and Evanston. I probably like Evanston more. It doesn't feel so "old fashioned" imo even though it's old. I'd be happy finding something similar to either of those burbs. However, I understand I may have to just change my mindset and understand things are just very different
I'm in Pennsylvania right now. We're moving up to Boston in a few months, and we lived there back in the 90s as students. So we have some friends and relatives in various towns and are looking at Lexington, Newton, and a few other towns. When we were in Boston, we pretty much stuck to Boston/Cambridge/Brookline and sometimes Newton.

The suburbs in both cities are quite different. I think the one that comes closest to Evanston is Newton, although Newton is large, and I understand has some variances in the different neighborhoods. Brookline also has some comparability to Evanston, although it's even more expensive than Newton. I lived at one point close to Coolidge Corner, and I loved that area, although I understand it's much more built up and has a lot more stuff than it did when I was there (although there was plenty of stuff there when I lived there.) I don't think I could afford anything even remotely close to what I need in that area now.

Have you tried Somerville? I haven't spent much time there, but it might have an Evanston-ish vibe?

Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,908,683 times
Saugus?

Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM

23,556 posts, read 18,651,084 times
It's far, but Pine Hills in Plymouth is really all I can think of for a newish planned community type place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts