Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 AM

837 posts, read 1,218,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I couldn't agree with you more. I honestly don't know why some people are so desperate to see six lane highways with the same fast food restaurants for miles with side roads that lead to the same soul crushing McMansions . I'll take a small, overpriced condo in charming Salem or the North End over any gated community in the Midwest or South.
Newer construction, highways, and chain everything block after block makes ME nervous. Even communities built on grid (NYC excluded) makes ME nervous. Evidently I'm a true New Englander, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,105,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
It's obvious that there's always a choice. You don't have to pay taxes or eat food, it's just the alternatives are pretty dire. When someone says that they're not somewhere by choice it's shorthand for "it's not where I would have chosen all else being equal, but other constraints made the choice more compelling". Conversely, when someone chooses to live somewhere it means that they other have freedom from other constraints (i.e. multiple job offers) or are making location their first priority.
My response was addressing the the poster who stated something along the lines of "You may perceive New England's quaintness as a net positive, but I just came for the job and think otherwise". Yes, this is real and valid, but that doesn't mean every job center in the continental U.S. must share the same appeal. Regions of the country have certain amenities and cultural expectations because locals have demanded and curated it. Don't like MA? Work that resume ...

Old 04-26-2016, 10:25 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,678,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
My response was addressing the the poster who stated something along the lines of "You may perceive New England's quaintness as a net positive, but I just came for the job and think otherwise". Yes, this is real and valid, but that doesn't mean every job center in the continental U.S. must share the same appeal. Regions of the country have certain amenities and cultural expectations because locals have demanded and curated it. Don't like MA? Work that resume ...
That poster may very well be doing that. It's very hard to really know what it is like in an area if you have never lived there or spent extensive time there. I think the poster was addressing the point about the general desirability of Boston and New England -- it can sometimes come across that of course everything here is so great, except for the cost, that if it were more affordable, everyone would come here. So that poster may have been pointing out that that is not the case. He came here because he was offered a job. He may have had no pre-set notions about Boston, and just accepted the job because he needed a job and was willing to move, but has found that quaintness not so great. Doesn't mean that other factors don't compel him to stay here.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:41 AM

3,671 posts, read 7,361,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I really hope the law is changed one day so MA can tax retirees on pensions collected by out of state residents.

That makes no sense. You think someone who collects a state pension should have to pay state income tax back to that state regardless of where they live?

In johngolf's situation, if he is over 65, he pays income tax to South Carolina for his MA pension income over $15,000. South Carolina does not tax Social Security benefits.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
That makes no sense. You think someone who collects a state pension should have to pay state income tax back to that state regardless of where they live?
Yes. It would encourage people to stay in state after retirement instead of taking taxpayer money and living somewhere else on our dime. It is Massachusetts sourced income, just like someone who lives outside MA and works in MA (or vice versa).

Quote:
In johngolf's situation, if he is over 65, he pays income tax to South Carolina for his MA pension income over $15,000. South Carolina does not tax Social Security benefits.
He would pay income tax to MA since it's MA source income and then receive a credit on his SC return for the taxes paid to MA. It wouldn't increase his cost much but it would ensure the tax money made its way back to MA (who is paying the pension).

Old 04-26-2016, 12:33 PM

24,510 posts, read 17,995,915 times
Quote:
Yes. It would encourage people to stay in state after retirement instead of taking taxpayer money and living somewhere else on our dime. It is Massachusetts sourced income, just like someone who lives outside MA and works in MA (or vice versa).

He would pay income tax to MA since it's MA source income and then receive a credit on his SC return for the taxes paid to MA. It wouldn't increase his cost much but it would ensure the tax money made its way back to MA (who is paying the pension).
Actually, it's not. California tried to do this and got slaughtered in Federal court. A pension is not treated the same as earned income. Massachusetts cannot chase a state/local retiree for nonresident state income taxes if they move to another state.

Besides, the public sector unions are so powerful in Massachusetts that there's no way state/local worker pension income would ever be taxed in Massachusetts.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Actually, it's not. California tried to do this and got slaughtered in Federal court. A pension is not treated the same as earned income. Massachusetts cannot chase a state/local retiree for nonresident state income taxes if they move to another state.

Besides, the public sector unions are so powerful in Massachusetts that there's no way state/local worker pension income would ever be taxed in Massachusetts.
My hope is that the laws get changed one day. Public employees should not be given the right to skirt income taxes on the backs of taxpayers who enjoy no such special treatment.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:22 PM

3,671 posts, read 7,361,985 times
Quote:

How are they "taking taxpayer money and living somewhere else on our dime"? The retiree earned their pension. In the case of Massachusetts teachers, for example, they contribute 11% of their annual earnings towards the Massachusetts retirement system. They do not pay in to Social Security and they are not eligible for Social Security benefits.

Quote:

That's a rather bizarre view.

So you think a person who receives a state pension should have to stay living in that state for the remainder of their lives? Massachusetts pensions are not taxable in Massachusetts so what is the benefit? In the case of johngolf above, if he lived in MA, he would pay less in taxes than he does now in South Carolina. Presumably, he chooses to live in SC for other reasons. What about states that have no state income tax? I suppose you must be against that too.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM

9,919 posts, read 15,488,689 times
Hey, you guys are way off the topic!

Old 04-26-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
How are they "taking taxpayer money and living somewhere else on our dime"? The retiree earned their pension. In the case of Massachusetts teachers, for example, they contribute 11% of their annual earnings towards the Massachusetts retirement system. They do not pay in to Social Security and they are not eligible for Social Security benefits.
Give me a break. No one pays enough into the system to balance against what they are collecting which is why the pension system is going broke in many places, with taxpayers guaranteeing to make up the shortfall. Social Security is irrelevant for the purpose of what I'm talking about.

Quote:
That's a rather bizarre view.

So you think a person who receives a state pension should have to stay living in that state for the remainder of their lives? Massachusetts pensions are not taxable in Massachusetts so what is the benefit? In the case of johngolf above, if he lived in MA, he would pay less in taxes than he does now in South Carolina. Presumably, he chooses to live in SC for other reasons. What about states that have no state income tax? I suppose you must be against that too.
Working in Massachusetts is a choice. Working for the government is another choice. Working in MA to take your taxpayer funded pension elsewhere is also a choice. I'm simply proposing that there be an incentive for these retirees to stay in MA after retirement instead of rushing out the door.

And yes, CaseyB is right, this is way off topic, just like johngolf coming in here and gloating about how we, the MA taxpayers are funding his life out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts