Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 10:55 AM

974 posts, read 1,898,196 times

Advertisements

Does turning the thermostat way down save money/energy?

Talking about how "bad' the weather is going to be this year with a buddy and said I was glad I had my programmable thermostat to take care of putting the heat up or down.

Friend came back with (the shocking!) reply that I'm not saving money by turning my thermostat down and I actually waste money/oil by making it work harder to reheat the space to the new temperature.

If I'm gone for the weekend or week, I turn the heat down to 52. (No plants or furry ones.)

During the week, I drop it down to 58 when away and up to 64 when I'm home.

Buddy says I'm using more energy to heat house back up to 64 versus keeping it constant.

I say my oil bill disputes that lame theory. Plus, with my 100+yo poorly insulated abode, I'm more likely to be heating the outside than the inside and pushing global warming along even faster.

Anyway of doing some real calculations to test this theory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 11:11 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,937 times
Do you have zones? Setback in unoccupied zones will yield the most benefit. Heating units run at peak efficiency when running at full bore, so I set my thermostat to 55 when I'm away and have it heat up an hour before I arrive home. When I switched from the old dial to a programmable I saved a considerable amount of money doing this rather than short cycling the system by keeping it higher all day long.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I would think that the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding in this case is your heating bill.

Edit: In research, it's a simple AB design.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:10 PM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
I have heard this theory before and can attest to the fact that turning our thermostat down during the day decreased our oil bill. We live in an 18th century house that is not energy efficient, so like you said, maybe the constant-heat-is-better-than-fluctuating-heat theory is specific to newer homes. But we've tried both ways (not really on purpose--I had winter babies, so maternity leave = heat on all day). When not on maternity leave, we typically go through a tank of oil every 4 - 5 weeks (55 during day, 68 evenings, 60 - 68 at night depending on zone). While on maternity leave, we typically went through a tank of oil every few weeks (68 during day).

We started using our wood-burning fireplace during the weekends last year, which allowed us to turn down the heat in the main zone of our house. We saw a drop in oil use from that as well.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Do you have zones?
No... glorious, original radiators that I could sort of twist on/off. (But, am really just happy not touching them.)

Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I would think that the proof is in the pudding, and the pudding in this case is your heating bill.

Edit: In research, it's a simple AB design.
I track annual/monthly/per gal costs, but without factoring in daily temperatures (weather, heating), it is still mostly anecdotal and "feelings".

Moving to one of the smart thermometers would probably give me that data. Almost worth it.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 PM

204 posts, read 286,401 times
Key here is “poorly insulated,” which says you’ll save more by turning it down. And as G-fused says, your bill proves it.

Whether you save more by turning it down depends on a combination of insulation, efficiency of your furnace, and how long you’re away for. I believe most furnace models are either on or off. They don’t “work harder” to bring the house up from 58 to 64, they just have to be on longer.

I’m sure the actual math is more complicated than this, but here’s how I see it:

If your house is well insulated, say your furnace has to be on continuously for 2 hours to bring the temp up from 58 to 64, but only has to kick on for 5 minutes every hour to keep it at 64. You’d have to be gone longer than 24 hours for it to make sense to turn the thermostat down.

If your house is poorly insulated, and the same furnace has to kick on for 10 minutes every half hour to maintain a temp of 64, then your break even point would be more like 6 hours.

Then there’s the whole idea that the greater the difference between inside and outside temp, the faster the rate at which you lose heat. But combining that with different levels of insulation to translate into when to turn the thermostat down is above my pay grade

Old 09-17-2015, 12:30 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Turning it down does save money. How much all depends on the heating system you currently have in place, and how well the house is insulated.

Long vacation for a week? Def drop it down to 50-55 degrees or so to protect the pipes. Going away for a few hours to work? Drop it 5-6 degrees. If your house is well insulated, it should take a while for the temp to drop to that low set point. A modern house may not even hit the lower limit before the heat kicks back on for your return.

Programmable thermostats are worth it, and wifi connected thermostats are even better as you can pull out your phone, pull up an App, and manually turn on, or delay, the kickin on of your heating system

Old 09-17-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I have heard this theory before and can attest to the fact that turning our thermostat down during the day decreased our oil bill. We live in an 18th century house that is not energy efficient, so like you said, maybe the constant-heat-is-better-than-fluctuating-heat theory is specific to newer homes.
Those homes with level floors and flat walls, too... They get all fun

Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshawk View Post
I’m sure the actual math is more complicated than this, but here’s how I see it:

If your house is well insulated, say your furnace has to be on continuously for 2 hours to bring the temp up from 58 to 64, but only has to kick on for 5 minutes every hour to keep it at 64. You’d have to be gone longer than 24 hours for it to make sense to turn the thermostat down.

If your house is poorly insulated, and the same furnace has to kick on for 10 minutes every half hour to maintain a temp of 64, then your break even point would be more like 6 hours.

Then there’s the whole idea that the greater the difference between inside and outside temp, the faster the rate at which you lose heat. But combining that with different levels of insulation to translate into when to turn the thermostat down is above my pay grade
That's the ticket! Thanks. That's exactly the breakdown I was looking for. Hate arguing without facts.

I have the burner cleaned every year, so it does work as efficiently as it can, too.

When paint from previous owners count as insulation, then I'll have a well insulated home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts