Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 17,283 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

There is a good chance that I will be taking a job in Gloucester, which means I would be relocating from CT to the Boston area. I would really love to live in or around Cambridge (Brighton/Brookline would be ideal, but I think it's too far commute-wise?), but I wanted to get some advice from those who are more familiar with the area than I am on what other areas might be a good fit.

What other parts of Boston are worth looking at for a young 20-something (ie. Rent between 700-950/mo)? Also, I assumed that I would be driving to Gloucester, but would it be more worthwhile to take the train? Is the drive from Boston to Gloucester a pain or is it not so bad (especially in Winter)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
The drive from Brighton to Gloucester is at least a hour or so without traffic. At absolute best it's about 15 minutes from Brighton to downtown Boston on the Mass Pike and then 45 min + to Gloucester on 93 and 128. At the morning rush you are likely to hit some traffic though it would be much better going from Boston out on 93 than coming in.

The train could be tough. First, it depends on whether your work in Gloucester is close to the station there. It is also an hour or so on the the train, and it goes out of North Station, so you need extra time just to get there (a LOT of extra time if coming from Brighton or Brookline). Last, there is a 7:35, an 8:30, and then nothing until 10:20 so you're in trouble if you've taken the T to North Station, missed the train, and your car is 35 minutes in the wrong direction back in Brookline.

If you want proximity to Cambridge, what might work is Somerville, which would give some access through the back streets to 93 North. Davis Sq. is a fun area with a lot of nightlife and a T station to downtown Boston. Inman Square also has some nightlife but is not as easy to get to 93 from. Winter Hill is a lot quieter with no direct T but is more affordable and closer to 93. As compared to taking the Mass Pike from Brookline or Brighton, Somerville saves at least 15-20 minutes by just hopping on 93 around Exit 30 or 31 north of Boston.

It would be tough to get much in your price range anywhere in the Cambridge/Brighton/Brookline/Somerville area unless you have a roommate or two, but you can get a decent place in Somerville in that range with roommates though parking can be a problem unless you register your car there and get a resident sticker. In some places it's tight even then.

A propos, parking is a major problem in Brookline since you can't park on the street overnight and must get a private spot. The apts that have spots are often more expensive, and a freestanding spot could be $150-200 a month and not so close to your home. Brighton has tight parking in some areas (nearer Comm Av) and resident restictions, but there are places in Brighton Center where parking is easy and there are no such restrictions.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
Cambridge (Brighton/Brookline) = too far!

Try Beverly/Salem

Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Cambridge (Brighton/Brookline) = too far!

Try Beverly/Salem
I agree up to a point. I personally wouldn't want to do the drive every day but if someone is looking for a young, urban lifestyle they will probably be bored living any closer to Gloucester than Somerville. Somerville is about 20/25% closer than Brighton in terms of drive time and might make it manageable if the OP thinks the lifestyle is worth the drive. Beverly/Salem would be cheaper rent, and would save a lot of time, gas money, and car wear and tear, but it's a question of lifestyle.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 17,283 times
Holden and MAtoNC: Thank you both for your replies.

I am only 23, so I would fully expect and be okay with having one or two roommates (I have 5 now so really, what's the difference? ) to help the cost of rent in Brighton/Somerville/Brookline.

The reason I mentioned Brighton and Brookline is because my college friends and current colleagues live in that area, so I would like to be as close to them as possible (as opposed to always having to drive or take the T to see them at night). I know from experience that Brookline can be tricky with parking, so Brighton seemed to be the better choice of the two. Cambridge is not too far from them either and I am somewhat familiar with the area, so I think it would be a great place to investigate as well.

Somerville sounds like it might be a good idea too though, after reading your comments. How far is that area (generally speaking) from Brighton/Brookline?

Thanks again for your replies, the information is quite helpful!

Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,162 times
I still think a commute Sommerville to Gloucester is too far. Too much time and too much money for gas. I have a friend that went to college near Beverly and had an apartment downtown. He enjoyed it and there was plenty to do. He went to graduate school in Boston and lived in Sommerville after that. The advantage to that was being close to Cambridge and the subway. Although, Beverly has the commuter rail. I would really give Beverly a second look!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:57 AM

735 posts, read 3,501,796 times
Cambridge is just about 40 miles from Gloucester. So each day you will be commuting 80 miles at the minimum. If you live in Brighton or Brookline, then you are looking at 90+ EACH day!

I see your point about being close to friends in Boston Proper. And I agree that Beverly would be a good option as it does have alot going for it and several colleges in the area.

My next thought would be that if your priority is being social and close to friends then you should not take the job in Gloucester and refocus your search in the Boston area.

Gloucester is pretty far out there. Just imagine trying to head home after work to meet friends in Brighton at 7pm. But you get caught in traffic- there is an accident etc and you don't get home until 7:30. And then you have to be up at 6 am to do it all over again. Gas is predicted to be $3.50/gallon this summer. Is the job worth it? I think only you can answer that...

Good luck-

Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Unfortunately, I can't think of any place that would be good for a younger person that is any kind of reasonable commute to Gloucester.
That said, Brighton/Brookline are way too far on the other side of Cambridge/Somerville. Just getting across town could take all morning.
Everything north of there is housing for families or suburbo apartments or something. Maybe you could live somewhere in-between and drive into Cambridge, etc. for social life? I know there's nothing like living in Brookline or Cambridge when you're 20s, 30s. Then again, driving to Gloucester during business hours and back again could get old very fast.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Unfortunately, I can't think of any place that would be good for a younger person that is any kind of reasonable commute to Gloucester.
That said, Brighton/Brookline are way too far on the other side of Cambridge/Somerville. Just getting across town could take all morning.
Everything north of there is housing for families or suburbo apartments or something. Maybe you could live somewhere in-between and drive into Cambridge, etc. for social life? I know there's nothing like living in Brookline or Cambridge when you're 20s, 30s. Then again, driving to Gloucester during business hours and back again could get old very fast.
I basically agree with everything that has been said. The choices are (1) don't take the Gloucester job; (2) live closer to Gloucester but in a place that's not as much fun for someone your age; (3) do that commute every day. For me Gloucester's too far but you have to decide if you can deal with it.

I would definitely look over by Davis Sq. and not in Brighton just because it really does shave a lot of time off. Davis Sq. to my friend's house in Brighton is about 15-20 minutes drive but is not so accessible by T, you'd have to go to Harvard and take a bus, or go downtown and take the Green Line out. Either way 45 minutes min.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 AM

Over on another thread on the Boston board someone said that driving out from Medford (just north of Somerville) to Beverly (a lot closer than Gloucester) was not an easy commute because 128 is backed up. So that might make it even tougher to drive out to Gloucester every morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts