Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:20 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffic_lover View Post
Andover ya. But also library & old common area of nandover. Reading to some degree. Lynnfield. That's the short list.

Personally, I don't think you can fairly compare those communities. You really need to get your wife to choose the town that she wants to live in and then wait for the right house to come along.

Comparing a newer colonial for $600K in North Andover versus a 60-year old cape in Lynnfield for the same price will only lead to frustration, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 12:42 PM

550 posts, read 680,563 times
The library area of North Andover tends to have smaller homes with smaller lots. You will find larger homes and newer if you look in out country, olde center and anything off rt 114 in North Andover

Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM

404 posts, read 526,525 times
Let me try that again:
-Downtown andover
-Library & Olde nandover (ie johnson)
-Reading (center & west)
-Lynnfield (wife likes more than me)
House type, neighborhood & price-wise this list ^^^ is very similar.
I am not looking for a box colonial with 2 car garage. I'm looking for an old house with a sidewalk, coffee, playground & school within walking.
Good schools
Commutable to chelms
10k sqft yard
Under 600k
Gas, town water & sewer
Did I forget anyplace?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:48 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times
No sewer in Lynnfield and most of the town does not have natural gas. I can walk to the library but the only coffee within walking distance is from a convenience store.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:34 PM

404 posts, read 526,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
No sewer in Lynnfield and most of the town does not have natural gas. I can walk to the library but the only coffee within walking distance is from a convenience store.
Good points. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2015, 07:13 AM

649 posts, read 816,541 times
You are getting fatigued and I don't blame you. Is it you or your wife who hates Groton? Did she love Marblehead? Why/why not? There are no magical new locations we can pull out of a hat that you don't know about. That magic of sidewalks/coffee/good schools that EVERYONE is looking for can be had in Reading. It can be had in Andover. Somewhat in Bedford. Not in Lynnfield. Not in North Andover. Commuting to Chelmsford is best from Andover, future commuting to Boston is best from Reading and from Bedford to Boston is better than from Andover. The other towns with decent town centers and decent schools do not offer a decent Chelmsford commute, maybe Melrose as an outlier but I would imagine that it is too dense for the wife.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:34 AM

550 posts, read 680,563 times
Commuting to Chelmsford from North Andover is actually not bad at all. Just hop on 495. I usually get to Chelmsford in 20 minutes from North Andover. The Library district will be tough to get that 10K sq.ft lot you are looking for. Olde Center is your best bet as the homes there have more land and you can walk to Drummond park and it has a coffee & ice cream shop. Salem & Johnson streets both have sidewalks .

Old 10-22-2015, 09:50 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
You are getting fatigued and I don't blame you. Is it you or your wife who hates Groton? Did she love Marblehead? Why/why not? There are no magical new locations we can pull out of a hat that you don't know about. That magic of sidewalks/coffee/good schools that EVERYONE is looking for can be had in Reading. It can be had in Andover. Somewhat in Bedford. Not in Lynnfield. Not in North Andover. Commuting to Chelmsford is best from Andover, future commuting to Boston is best from Reading and from Bedford to Boston is better than from Andover. The other towns with decent town centers and decent schools do not offer a decent Chelmsford commute, maybe Melrose as an outlier but I would imagine that it is too dense for the wife.
I think North Andover old center is quite nice and pretty and walkable, with a park. just not commercialized which is its charm as well. but Rt 114 is a very short drive and you have Panera, Benton Grill, and also JJill, Pier !, Chipotle, gelato, and then the strip mall further up, movie theater, Market Basket. NA also has a business downtown which is nice to have. Commuting to chelmsford is easy off Rt 114 to 495.

Commuting to Boston is OK from Andover, many people do, the commuter train is just not that frequent during the day. The Ballardvale area has its own station and is very walkable and you can live a mile from the station in many directions. Many people also take the bus which they find very convenient.

How about Chelmsford itself? It has a rail trail on which you can bike all the way to l
Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts