Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 7,147 times

Advertisements

Just settled on our Melrose home! Lots to do and learn. suggestions for heAting oil? What is an average water/sewage bill? Is trash pick up included in taxes?
THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:30 PM

132 posts, read 545,137 times
This is a useful link for Heating Prices in the area: Oil Prices

The companies on this page the those without the year contract requirement -- you will end up paying about 50 cents to $1 per gallon more if you go with a company that commits you to a contract.

You might try Fireman's Fuel, I have found them fairly reliable and quick to come out when I had a problem.

The trash pickup is included in your water/sewer/trash bill, which will arrive quarterly. Trash is a fixed amount, but water/sewer is a tiered system that will depend upon your actual usage. A small house in Melrose will probably run about $250-$300 a quarter for not excessive usage, and depending on the season (watering plants in summer you will end up higher).

Welcome to Melrose!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:27 PM

317 posts, read 431,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickybox View Post
This is a useful link for Heating Prices in the area: Oil Prices

The companies on this page the those without the year contract requirement -- you will end up paying about 50 cents to $1 per gallon more if you go with a company that commits you to a contract.

You might try Fireman's Fuel, I have found them fairly reliable and quick to come out when I had a problem.

The trash pickup is included in your water/sewer/trash bill, which will arrive quarterly. Trash is a fixed amount, but water/sewer is a tiered system that will depend upon your actual usage. A small house in Melrose will probably run about $250-$300 a quarter for not excessive usage, and depending on the season (watering plants in summer you will end up higher).

Welcome to Melrose!
Can you elaborate on why you should not go with a contract? I thought this was typical practice. I went with a company for automatic deliveries and my price was capped at $2.59 for a year, current price is $2.49. Are you really able to buy $.50- $1.00 cheaper per gallon than this?

Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM

132 posts, read 545,137 times
It's not that you shouldn't go with a contract -- there are definitely some advantages. You are given priority in deliveries, you have a capped price if oil prices soar, etc. For my first few years of being new to oil heat, I went with Atlas Glen-Mor, and then for a while with Devaney Energy. Both were reliable.

There are no such guarantees with non-contract suppliers -- if all the oil vanishes, no guarantees, and no caps, etc etc. You also typically have to keep a credit card on file with them, and will be billed instantly the day of delivery, rather than having some leeway in sending in payment.

But the trade-off is -- lower prices. For me at least, it has been a substantial savings, and FF has been perfectly reliable about showing up with oil, and coming out to service the furnace during one emergency. I know how much a friend of mine is currently paying with Atlas Glen Mor, I've got the quote you put up there for $2.49/gallon (are you paying that, or less?) and I know how much I am paying with Fireman's Fuel. The prices make a real difference in a bitterly cold winter when the gallons add up.

It all depends on your risk tolerance, and whether you can budget ahead for the instant payments, I'm guessing.

I'm longing for the day we all have solar, anyway.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:51 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Our oil co. has 2.50 for the buy-in price. Meanwhile they are charging 2.19 a gallon. We didn't think it was worth it.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:57 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Congrats on your new home!

Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 PM

875 posts, read 663,643 times
Congrats - friends of ours moved there last year and love it

Old 10-20-2015, 05:42 AM

560 posts, read 751,536 times
Those prices seem high. its currently $1.85 a gallon at Angelos in Saugus.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:41 AM

466 posts, read 643,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Those prices seem high. its currently $1.85 a gallon at Angelos in Saugus.
Hey if you use Angelo's for oil, who do you use for servicing? They don't do servicing and we're looking for someone new.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,147 times
Thanks to all, very helpful , much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: