Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:26 PM

49 posts, read 98,019 times

Advertisements

Kingeorge - I appreciate your input. Truly all the things I myself think precisely. So true about getting used to a new home, never mind a new state then basically turn around and go to college. Good point about advantages of applying as an out of state vs. in state too. Our move is based solely on staying together as a family vs. my husband doing the work commute thing which we have done a plenty over the many years of relocations to the Midwest from MA etc. Our priority is the welfare of our kids but also trying to look at the whole picture too.
We are aware of the COL - we own a second home down off of the Cape which is where we spend our summers.
My roots are from MA, so yes, fully aware of the differences of Midwest and MA prices. Along with other differences too.
Something about the pace of Midwest life is truly SO nice!

However, the idea of being back "home" near family etc - is so exciting too.

Lots to consider here. Thank you for feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:36 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ak View Post
May I please ask what does "OP" mean?
OP is shorthand for original poster - someone who starts a thread.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:31 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
OP is shorthand for original poster - someone who starts a thread.
Also here on C-D the OP has a blue label next to his/her name on every post within the thread. It's a nice feature that I haven't seen on other forums.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:54 AM

317 posts, read 431,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ak View Post
Hello All - I would love some experience-input on relocation with a high schooler please?
We are potentially moving back "home" to MA with my husband's job.
Currently have a Junior in H.S. this is MAIN factor holding us to relocate as a family right away (end of Jr. year). Does anyone have experience with this in their own relocations?
As a mom, it is seems so "scary' to do this to our child. He is well integrated academically, sports and activities in school and has many friends. He does have intent to attend college on the east coast (we are originally from MA/CT, having lived in Midwest for the last 14 years due to husbands career).
Currently looking at Middlesex county relocation.

Towns to be considered are: Sudbury, Lexington, Concord, Wayland, Carlisle.
Husband will work in the Woburn-Burlington area.

Any input on schools in these towns and potentially moving a Junior in H.S? Is it as "bad-scary" as I am thinking for them?

Thank you very much!
I can offer you a relatively comparable personal experience, in that we relocated from the Midwest to Natick, MA with a son who was entering middle school. There is so much variance between ages, however, as well as personality, so take it for what it's worth. Like you, our son's adjustment and leaving old friends behind was our primary concern. My son can be shy at first, but ultimately is outgoing and friendly, and fortunately, the transition couldn't have gone better. The first thing he (and we) observed was that everyone was friendly and welcoming. To this day, even the kids that aren't part of his 'clique' are all friendly to each other, he didn't experience any bullying, exclusion, or intimidation from any of the kids, which wasn't the case in our very blue-collar, somewhat isolated Midwestern location. I believe this to be a difference in general socio-economic backgrounds of the student population between schools, and I think any of the towns you've selected would offer the same type of environment. He was also able to meet kids just from being in the neighborhood, as well as attending a few camps and doing sports over the summer before school began. Also, we visited during the school year, and my son was able to tour the school and participate in some end of year activities, so this helped him get a taste of what he was in for. Perhaps your son could arrange something similar.

Of course, I have no experience raising a high-schooler yet, so I don't know if the situation may change simply based upon the kids being older, and more set in their ways, regardless of socio-economic background. One last thing on this note - the busier towns in the MetroWest and closer to Boston are by nature more transient, and in some of these places I'm sure new students are fairly commonplace, even at that age.

One last note - I don't think being an MA resident necessarily helps with gaining acceptance into top universities. Should they get in, it could help with costs by being able to commute to school from home, but I think many of these schools strive for diversity, and so only take a limited amount of local MA kids. Just personal speculation here though...

Old 10-27-2015, 07:13 AM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post

One last note - I don't think being an MA resident necessarily helps with gaining acceptance into top universities. Should they get in, it could help with costs by being able to commute to school from home, but I think many of these schools strive for diversity, and so only take a limited amount of local MA kids. Just personal speculation here though...
That's certainly true with private universities. They prefer their applicants from different areas of the country if possible. They also sometimes limit the amount they accept from any one town.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 AM

49 posts, read 98,019 times
@Nobodybody - thank you for your input. I appreciate you sharing your experience and it is so wonderful your son integrated wonderfully! How do you like MA compared to the Midwest? It is a different world - I am originally from MA - now in Midwest - considering our move back "home" due to work.
I love MA, people are very friendly and there is an east coast sense of humor that only east coast provides.
The pace is faster and of course the cost of living certainly more expensive than the Midwest.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts