Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:17 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickybox View Post
Can you provide a link or citation for more information about this? I have a hard time believing it, since they can't even provide the correct number of buses for regular T routes.
They'll expand the T bus service to include more towns or expand regional bus service if that makes more sense.. Not special transportation for each development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They'll expand the T bus service to include more towns or expand regional bus service if that makes more sense.. Not special transportation for each development.
They can't even run adequate commuter rail service for people going to Boston during rush hour.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:36 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
40B is a state law. Other than 40B I'm not sure how towns could be bullied into building projects they don't want.
Yes but there are still "affordable" units that are created because of the law. The state doesn't pay anything toward these units. The law just limits how much they can be sold for and the income level of the purchaser. Completely different than Section 8 where the state is providing a voucher.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:43 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
They can't even run adequate commuter rail service for people going to Boston during rush hour.
Well when has common sense ever stopped the government?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:53 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Public housing isn't exactly "poor". The housing prices once you get out of the boston area are much lower (along with rents or at least what you get for the rents).

I actually know someone that is temporarily homeless (and pregnant!) because she between buying a house and selling one well she sold it before the papers passed on what she is buying. She'll be without a house for about a month.

40B requirements require a development to have some units as affordable but it doesn't really mean they all have to be.

What's at issue here is having local lists led to nepotism at various agencies. If you know that the demand is assured and you have a line out the door of course you let things slide.

In Kingston they let people cut in line, Marshfield they had personal use of facilities, Quincy didn't even maintain theirs leading to outright ceptic leakage in kitchens. Easton was led by a women just looking online for men all day (what?!?)
Chealsea was the one that really broke the camels back along with Springfield (where I live)

From Chelsea to Springfield, Massachusetts public housing chiefs face little accountability - News Local Massachusetts - Boston.com

Keep in mind there might not be much of an incentive to create new section 8 buildings. However, with that in mind a larger city can have less to expand upon vs a smaller town. Mass isn't a big state. it doesn't cross time zones and you can go from one end to the other in a few hours. Some students already live in one town and go to school in another either as part of the homeless policies or Metco. So the idea that it is a burden is a bit less. Add in cell phones and internet access and frankly it is no longer an issue to move. Access to food, water, shelter and clothing is well established in the state.

Even in lieu of public transit some places step up. Peapod does exist and even smaller ones are opting in. I live in Springfield and Foodzone will deliver anywhere in the city for a purchase of $50 or more.

The way I see housing is there has to be some method of which to have someone graduate.

Homeless outside need to be put into shelters
People in shelters ultimately should get on their feet and get into public housing.
Public housing should either move into market rate or put a down payment on their own home.

It's easier to do this in some parts of the state and not others. With that in mind it doesn't help anyone to struggle to find a place to live in one if they can do so in another.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:10 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Public housing isn't exactly "poor". The housing prices once you get out of the boston area are much lower (along with rents or at least what you get for the rents).

I actually know someone that is temporarily homeless (and pregnant!) because she between buying a house and selling one well she sold it before the papers passed on what she is buying. She'll be without a house for about a month.

40B requirements require a development to have some units as affordable but it doesn't really mean they all have to be.

What's at issue here is having local lists led to nepotism at various agencies. If you know that the demand is assured and you have a line out the door of course you let things slide.

In Kingston they let people cut in line, Marshfield they had personal use of facilities, Quincy didn't even maintain theirs leading to outright ceptic leakage in kitchens. Easton was led by a women just looking online for men all day (what?!?)
Chealsea was the one that really broke the camels back along with Springfield (where I live)

From Chelsea to Springfield, Massachusetts public housing chiefs face little accountability - News Local Massachusetts - Boston.com

Keep in mind there might not be much of an incentive to create new section 8 buildings. However, with that in mind a larger city can have less to expand upon vs a smaller town. Mass isn't a big state. it doesn't cross time zones and you can go from one end to the other in a few hours. Some students already live in one town and go to school in another either as part of the homeless policies or Metco. So the idea that it is a burden is a bit less. Add in cell phones and internet access and frankly it is no longer an issue to move. Access to food, water, shelter and clothing is well established in the state.

Even in lieu of public transit some places step up. Peapod does exist and even smaller ones are opting in. I live in Springfield and Foodzone will deliver anywhere in the city for a purchase of $50 or more.

The way I see housing is there has to be some method of which to have someone graduate.

Homeless outside need to be put into shelters
People in shelters ultimately should get on their feet and get into public housing.
Public housing should either move into market rate or put a down payment on their own home.

It's easier to do this in some parts of the state and not others. With that in mind it doesn't help anyone to struggle to find a place to live in one if they can do so in another.
There's been a lot of abuse within public housing, more than on that list. I agree that people have to move up and OUT. Except for elderly and disabled, public housing should be temporary. In England, people who get something like section 8 are encouraged to work, save, and BUY their section 8 house. Of course, it's gone too far and now there's a housing shortage because so many DID earn money and BUY the house they were living in, but something like that is a good idea. An incentive.

As for immigrants, they can't live in public housing unless they are here legally and they have to have been here legally for at least five years. Before that they are required to have a sponsor who has promised to support them so that they can take nothing from the government.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:16 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Well I can tell you there's no housing shortage in western Mass. There is a push to get a few thousand people to get down payments. I don't know if that's possible in the next few years but it's certainly worth a shot. Property prices have gone up here but it still has a way to go.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:20 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Well I can tell you there's no housing shortage in western Mass. There is a push to get a few thousand people to get down payments. I don't know if that's possible in the next few years but it's certainly worth a shot. Property prices have gone up here but it still has a way to go.
There is a job shortage out there and that's why the housing prices are and will remain depressed for the foreseeable future. Springfield is already a seedy place- the LAST thing it needs is Boston's poor shipped out there in large(r) numbers.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
That gets you a public housing voucher?

Technically I've been homeless for about 3 months for the same reason then. I don't understand how my scenario would grant me access to taxpayer funds to shelter me while I search for my new digs.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,693 times
Is there anywhere I can read this info? I've been on the centralized section 8 waiting list for 5 years and 6 months and when I called yesterday what they told me is that even though it's statewide, the town where you actually went to apply is the one that looks at your application first. This being said, I called the city where I applied personally and they told me they are still on applications from 2006 and she she was honest about it and told me I don't think we're going to get to your application for another 3 to 4 years. I honestly don't mind anywhere in the state I really just need the help before I go homeless with a 10 yr old daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts