Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,301,866 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...cCP/story.html

Thoughts on this article? I think it's difficult to say exactly what will happen with Boston Real estate in the future, but I found the following to be true:

-Boston Real estate is overpriced for what you get

-It's very difficult for young people to buy a home in the Boston area these days

-People who buy now will not be turning a huge profit on their home anytime soon

-I still believe buying is better than renting with the way rent prices are unless you are getting an incredibly good deal somewhere and don't have a desire to own.

-Middle class housing is somewhat non-existent, seems like they are catering to lower income and middle income is again being overlooked.

I recently read that if your household income in Boston is over 138k you are considered 'upper class.' This seem like a low number given that many people who make this amount of money, have a family, a home or even rent are struggling.

All of the jobs in the state seem to be in Boston/Cambridge or somewhere in this area making the area so expensive to buy in. No one wants a 2 hour commute, but is that what will have to happen? As much as people don't want a two hour commute people also don't want to be house/rent poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
The commutes will get longer. Eventually everyone will reach their breaking point and employers that have the ability will have to move outside 128.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 AM

Yeah...i think a HUGE problem solver is to move companies out of Boston. I would be perfectly happy if my employer opened an office outside of Cambridge. It's a shi*Tshow. But people come to cambridge and boston for jobs because that's where the jobs are.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,882,017 times
I don't like the idea they article puts out that a house is a way to make money. Yes, people made money on their houses but buying a house with the hope to make money off of it is short sighted and leads to even more financial issues in the long run, IMO.

The greatest generation bought their smaller homes, lived in them for long times. Yes Boston realestate is expensive but you have access to higher salaries than you do in the ex-burbs but there are ways to offset the housing costs.

Since moving closer to Boston and paying $140k+ more for a house, I have reduced what I pay for gas from $400 to $80/mo + a $75 T pass (which will be paid by my employer within a year), sold a car and cut car insurance in half, Ditched the septic, traded oil for natural gas, live in a warmer climate, travel the fraction of distance I used to for amenities, and am healthier due to the fact my commute involves walking or biking instead of sitting in the car.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM

815 posts, read 985,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I recently read that if your household income in Boston is over 138k you are considered 'upper class.' This seem like a low number given that many people who make this amount of money, have a family, a home or even rent are struggling.
My wife and I make a combined 155K and I wouldn't consider ourselves "upper class". Not even remotely. We have a modest home, both drive Hondas, and although we are comfortable we're not able to save as much as we like. Which is a big reason why we're leaving the state. We want a bigger home but simply can't afford it within an hour of Boston and with good schools.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:01 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I don't like the idea they article puts out that a house is a way to make money. Yes, people made money on their houses but buying a house with the hope to make money off of it is short sighted and leads to even more financial issues in the long run, IMO.

The greatest generation bought their smaller homes, lived in them for long times. Yes Boston realestate is expensive but you have access to higher salaries than you do in the ex-burbs but there are ways to offset the housing costs.

Since moving closer to Boston and paying $140k+ more for a house, I have reduced what I pay for gas from $400 to $80/mo + a $75 T pass (which will be paid by my employer within a year), sold a car and cut car insurance in half, Ditched the septic, traded oil for natural gas, live in a warmer climate, travel the fraction of distance I used to for amenities, and am healthier due to the fact my commute involves walking or biking instead of sitting in the car.
Not everyone can afford to make that move, and that is the problem.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:17 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,755,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Thoughts on this article? I think it's difficult to say exactly what will happen with Boston Real estate in the future, but I found the following to be true:

-Boston Real estate is overpriced for what you get
How can you claim this is a true statements? You are just stating your opinion. Someone else might feel they are getting tremendous value for their money. When you buy a house, you're not just buying square footage. You also get proximity to the beach, a vibrant walkable downtown, good schools, or whatever else may be important to you.

The biggest takeaway for me: Young families who are buying their first home today can't rely on their house to be part of their retirement fund. Do the math. A typical middle to upper middle class family earning $150-200k/year still needs to save around $30-40k/year towards retirement to continue the same lifestyle in retirement. If it sounds like a lot of money, it is! We can't rely on large gains on the sale of our house and we can't rely on social security. We don't have pensions either. It's on us to save up the $5+ million in IRAs and 401ks that we need to retire comfortably in 2045.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:24 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,755,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
My wife and I make a combined 155K and I wouldn't consider ourselves "upper class". Not even remotely. We have a modest home, both drive Hondas, and although we are comfortable we're not able to save as much as we like. Which is a big reason why we're leaving the state. We want a bigger home but simply can't afford it within an hour of Boston and with good schools.
I think she means "upper middle class." Upper class is generally not directly correlated to your income and refers to wealth. E.g. someone in the upper class might be defined as having a net worth over $1 million in investable assets (not including their primary residence and retirement savings). A young surgeon earning $300k/year with school loans and a $1 million mortgage would probably not be considered upper class yet.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM

It's true to me and a lot of other people Parsec. Yes schools and education are important but people should be able to have that and then some. Many arent getting the 'then some' in trying to provide a good education to their children. Is that a fun way to live? I just dont know. Even if you do spend everything you have on a home in let's say, Weston which ranks high, who is to say your kid will end up performing to your expectations and going to an amazing college and ending up having an amazing career. There's just a lot of factors that go into it. It seems like everyone's excuse for these high prices are, oh well the schools are good.

Look around the country-Boston real estate IS overpriced and that's not just my opinion. Horrible commutes, not everyone is getting a 150k salary despite what this board thinks.

'I don't like the idea they article puts out that a house is a way to make money. Yes, people made money on their houses but buying a house with the hope to make money off of it is short sighted and leads to even more financial issues in the long run, IMO.'

I dont think the article was saying that. If anything I thin they were saying, hey buy a house if you want one, but dont expect to get any financial gains from it.

It really depends on the job. I see a lot of people here referring to engineering/software developer salaries all the time. Since when is everyone in Boston an engineer? Why do people always assume that anyone working in Boston has a 'high' salary?

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 10-30-2015 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-30-2015, 10:32 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I think she means "upper middle class." Upper class is generally not directly correlated to your income and refers to wealth. E.g. someone in the upper class might be defined as having a net worth over $1 million in investable assets (not including their primary residence and retirement savings). A young surgeon earning $300k/year with school loans and a $1 million mortgage would probably not be considered upper class yet.
I'm just quoting what i read in an article. I cant find the article now. Anyways, in Boston i think anything between 100k and 150k would be middle class still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts