U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 3,186 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a family of four- Black mom, Caucasian dad and two young children. We are moving to the suburbs of Boston within the next several months. We have family in the Boston area and visit often. We are considering Medfield, Holliston and Hopkinton because of the proximity of these towns to our family in the area. We currently live in NJ. While we are used to seeing more diversity, this is not a deciding factor on where we want to settle down. I'm African-American and grew up with mostly Caucasian kids. However, we don't want to live in a town where we, especially our children will encounter negativity based on their race. We will be commuting into Boston often for work, but we are used to long commutes (1 hour or less is acceptable to us) into NYC from NJ, so that is also not a huge factor in our decision. We are looking for a town with great schools and a welcoming atmosphere. We have spent time in all of the towns we are considering and our favorite is Holliston. Please feel free to be very candid in your opinion on how we would fit into each town. This is a major move for us and we don't want to regret our choice. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 11:10 AM

6,009 posts, read 8,072,326 times
I have friends, family, and clients who live in all three towns. None of them are great towns for commuting into Boston. Of the three, Holliston is probably the worst commute. If you want to take the train all three would involve driving and parking in a neighboring town. Hopkinton has much better highway access though and Medfield has slightly better highway access. Holliston and Medfield both have cute town centers. The town center in Medfield seems to have more retail/restaurants and fewer offices compared to Holliston though. Medfield also has great access to shopping at Patriot Place, Legacy Place, University Station, etc, etc, etc. Plus, you're a hair closer to Boston for entertainment purposes. If it was me, I would move to Medfield but maybe only by a slight margin.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,173,880 times
It would be wise to know exactly where you commute daily to work and go from there. I am with MikePRU, you should give your commute more careful consideration because places you are picking now will be well over an hour, and often two-three hours long commute during winter mess or accidents. You are moving to a state with more winter weather, snow storms and much smaller/older infrastructure.

Will you be too far away to pick up your kids from school or day care on time? Can you be around for school plays or after school activities? Be very careful. No amount of house can make up for stressed, never at home parents. Would your relatives be able to chip in and help you with kids? If not, there is no reason to suffer 5 days a week for 1-2 day of weekend when you can see them.

Your budget and commute needs will be most important factor in your relocation. More expensive, immediate ring of towns near Cambridge and Boston is often more diverse, more transient, and welcoming, but it doesn't mean anyone will be hostile deeper in the burbs. Holliston is good town, but not practical for Boston commute at all.

Much will also depend on your kids ages and stages too. You are better off in areas with sidewalks and communal playgrounds, where you can meet other parents and make friends much easier, then in areas with big lots, big homes, and car rides everywhere you need to go.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks for the info!

I work from home and will commute into Boston 1-2 times per month. We are lucky to have a housing budget that allows us to be able to afford what we want in all three towns. Kids are 6 and 2 years old. We both have very flexible schedules and are available for extra-curriculars, pick-up, etc. We currently live in a very friendly, kid-centric community. Having lived in the NYC metro area for 14 years, we are used to and don't mind a commute of 1 hour or less each way, a little more is ok. To us, schools and the community are the most important factor. The last thing we want is a dream commute and unfriendly neighbors. We are outgoing, like socializing and have always found it easy to make friends. Seems like in all of the towns we are considering, there are very rural parts and suburban areas with homes closer together. We aren't expecting people to roll out a red carpet or anything, but hoping to find a community that we will be happy in.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:59 PM

13 posts, read 9,825 times
I would also consider Canton/Sharon and Milton as schools in these towns are good and proximity to the city is great!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:33 PM

19 posts, read 11,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MA View Post
Hi,

We are a family of four- Black mom, Caucasian dad and two young children.

whaattt??? My husband (Caucasian) and I (Black) will actually be moving to one of the towns you listed as one of your prospects in December (From another Massachusetts town, not out of state). We don't have kids yet so I can't contribute much to the school inquiry, but you know that at least one of the families in the neighborhood won't see anything wrong with you. Lol

Welcome to Mass! Now let's be friends...

Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternMassREGal View Post
whaattt??? My husband (Caucasian) and I (Black) will actually be moving to one of the towns you listed as one of your prospects in December (From another Massachusetts town, not out of state). We don't have kids yet so I can't contribute much to the school inquiry, but you know that at least one of the families in the neighborhood won't see anything wrong with you. Lol

Welcome to Mass! Now let's be friends...

Hi! Lol! I felt so silly asking about this. We've been to all of these towns and several others and never had an issue. Living there is different than a quick visit so I wanted some opinions. Feel free to PM me so we can chat more;-)

Old 11-02-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesearchmass15 View Post
I would also consider Canton/Sharon and Milton as schools in these towns are good and proximity to the city is great!
Thanks for the suggestions:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts