Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:21 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...iaI/story.html

My gut reaction is that this is pretty despicable, and that it's good to read that not all of our state's scholars and elected officials are as xenophobic as our dear governor.

However, on second thought I suppose that in-cognito terrorists might be a real concern, but is such a concern enough for us to turn our backs on those who are truly innocent and in need?

I figured I'd turn the article over to the forum in order to hear what other people think: should MA be for or against accepting refugees into the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 04:50 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
We have a current thread about this in the Politics forum:

Governors Seek To Ban Syrian Refugees

Well what do you want him to do? Don't forget the Tsarnaev brothers were "refugees".

Old 11-16-2015, 05:32 PM

188 posts, read 283,425 times
Great that the Governor does not want to take ME Refugees. It is not xenophobia.... it is common sense.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:41 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
He wants to ensure these refugees are propeely vetted by the feds before they become permanently part of our communities. It is the governor's job to protect the citizens of the state.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...iaI/story.html

My gut reaction is that this is pretty despicable, and that it's good to read that not all of our state's scholars and elected officials are as xenophobic as our dear governor.

However, on second thought I suppose that in-cognito terrorists might be a real concern, but is such a concern enough for us to turn our backs on those who are truly innocent and in need?

I figured I'd turn the article over to the forum in order to hear what other people think: should MA be for or against accepting refugees into the state?

Before you go calling the Gov Xenophobic you may want to read up! Other countries that have taken "refugees" have already found some with terror links, and some in Beirut have already open claimed loyalty to Al Qaeda. NO THANKS! Any body with a brain should be against. Luckily the Gov isn't a bleeding heart or MA could possibly be next.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:30 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
No real surprise. His ancestors didn't want the Irish either.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:30 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
The US has only committed to taking 10,000!!! Germany only has taken in 800,000 refugees. The screening process for taking these people in takes about 2 years to get into the US! If it takes 2 years and the pass every hurdle we place in front of them they should be allowed to enter. We will never be able to keep out the bad guys. They will find a way to come to the US whether illegal or legal. We are a nation of refugees. Everyone came here trying to escape something. How can we turn our backs on these people who are trying to escape terror at home? Can you imagine leaving your home and everything you know to just start walking in the general direction of safety?! Can you? HUNDREDS of miles without ANYTHING. Just walking so you can find a safe place to live without terror?

Old 11-17-2015, 03:19 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
The US has only committed to taking 10,000!!! Germany only has taken in 800,000 refugees. The screening process for taking these people in takes about 2 years to get into the US! If it takes 2 years and the pass every hurdle we place in front of them they should be allowed to enter. We will never be able to keep out the bad guys. They will find a way to come to the US whether illegal or legal. We are a nation of refugees. Everyone came here trying to escape something. How can we turn our backs on these people who are trying to escape terror at home? Can you imagine leaving your home and everything you know to just start walking in the general direction of safety?! Can you? HUNDREDS of miles without ANYTHING. Just walking so you can find a safe place to live without terror?
It would make more sense to turn our foreign policy around and help Assad put his country back together, with the caveat that he also carry out economic reforms. With stability, economic prospects and end to the civil war, there will be less refugees who would leave Syria.

We were foolish to follow the liberal narrative about those color revolutions and people power....look where Egypt, Syria, Libya etc etc are today? All of them are failed states will no governments to speak off. Democracy is a nice thing but these countries are not ready for it. Yet we go in and destroy the dictators that at least brought their people stability, running water/electricity, functioning schools and a working economy. Such misguided stupidity and now we are going to take in all those refugees? Bad karma always come back to bite you in the butt.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:05 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
I'm for all that, I just want to make sure that we are not importing people who want to kill us.

Btw, since the start of the Syrian Crisis in 2011, only 105,000 Syrians have applied for asylum in Germany. The 800,000 number is the amount of refugees Germany expects to take in from all nations in turmoil.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-17-2015 at 05:34 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 05:19 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It would make more sense to turn our foreign policy around and help Assad put his country back together, with the caveat that he also carry out economic reforms. With stability, economic prospects and end to the civil war, there will be less refugees who would leave Syria.
Although Assad is considered a brutal dictator, there definitely was stability with him in power and controlling all of Syria. When I lived in Lebanon for a few years back in the day, I remember people would take their families to Syria whenever there were flare ups between Hezbollah and Israel, because it was considered "safe", then come back when things quieted down. Funny how quickly things change.

Same could be said for Saddam Hussein (we can hate the guy all we want, but the one thing you can't argue with is that he ruled Iraq with an iron fist, and groups like ISIS or Alqaeda wouldn't even have enough time to grow before being snuffed out)

I may get some heat for this comment, but personally I'd much rather have Saddam Hussein alive and in power (in addition to Assad in Syria), than have ISIS controlling both of those countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts