U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:12 AM

4,830 posts, read 8,215,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Medway? I like the town, my brother used to live there, but driving 109 (the only road I know there) to 95 to 93 would be excruciating. Ugh.
Why would you take 109 to Medway? It's right off the highway and you can be in Boston in about 45 min going 495 to the Pike on a typical Saturday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM

26,750 posts, read 16,827,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Why would you take 109 to Medway? It's right off the highway and you can be in Boston in about 45 min going 495 to the Pike on a typical Saturday morning.

I meant Medfield. I just mistyped.

And a Saturday morning? I think people would be concerned with work commute times.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM

2,762 posts, read 1,492,457 times
Default Re

Medway is nice, schools are good, but it is out there as far as close proximity to boston goes. It also of course is getting more expensive whereas it was still pretty affordable a few years ago. We have friends who live there in a beautiful neighborhood but getting there is a pain. They both commute into boston for work and have a child in school and another in daycare. Their weekdays are pretty nuts.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:06 AM

26,750 posts, read 16,827,746 times
Gah, I'm sorry I mistyped Medway!

I get those all messed up, Medway, Medfield, Millis, blah.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Default Re

Well might as well talk about medway too since it's next to Medfield and is also yet another up and coming place

Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 AM

6,097 posts, read 9,430,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Well might as well talk about medway too since it's next to Medfield and is also yet another up and coming place
Millis is next to Medfield. Between Medfield and Medway (I know, it's confusing).

Old 02-24-2016, 11:36 AM

Default Re

I think you've corrected me on that before (: all I know is we go through Medfield on our way to medway. The towns out there all seem very similar to me. Too far out for my liking.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 812,420 times
We have friends who live in Medfield. They moved there years ago when they were having kids and needed more room with a good school system. Recently one of them said she wished she'd just stayed in a small house in Needham, rather than move to Medfield and he said they were moving to Boston or Brookline as soon as the youngest kid goes off to college. (Which is still about 7 years away.) At the time, they just couldn't afford Needham or Newton, even though they could now. But at this point, their kids have been in school there and they've renovated and added onto their house, so it's fine for now.

I think the biggest draw is the schools, and the fact that it's not insanely far away.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:29 PM

4,830 posts, read 8,215,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
We have friends who live in Medfield. They moved there years ago when they were having kids and needed more room with a good school system. Recently one of them said she wished she'd just stayed in a small house in Needham, rather than move to Medfield and he said they were moving to Boston or Brookline as soon as the youngest kid goes off to college. (Which is still about 7 years away.) At the time, they just couldn't afford Needham or Newton, even though they could now. But at this point, their kids have been in school there and they've renovated and added onto their house, so it's fine for now.

I think the biggest draw is the schools, and the fact that it's not insanely far away.
That's a pretty common feeling around these parts. If you moved to a town with 1-acre lots mainly for the schools, then you'll be itching to get back to a dense suburb after the kids graduate from HS.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:46 PM

445 posts, read 344,727 times
I'm just now catching up on the second half of this thread. Regarding would-be sellers who are holding onto their homes, whether they're empty-nesters/retirees or simply investors, one point I haven't seen mentioned is how low interest ratings may be impacting and discouraging the decision to sell. Why would you want to sell a property and invest it at 1% savings (assuming you're not a savvy investor), when the property itself is appreciating at a higher rate, and maybe even in a tax-free setting (if it's your first home).

We're holding onto one of those hard to capture $400,000 homes in a mid-level town. We tried to sell it in 2012 but the market was crap. Even though the price then would have been more affordable then comparable rent, people just didn't have their finances/downpayments in order. The house has appreciated and continues to do so. We rent it out at a profit and are in no hurry to sell, what, to hold the money in the bank at 1% or invest in risky stocks? It's a good investment, once you have it why get it rid of it unless you need to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts