Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the metro-west area and want a semi-rural town with good, small school system. Husband's job is primarily at Hanscom Air Force Base with a commute into Brigham & Women's 5 days a month. We've looked at Sudbury, Carlisle, Harvard, and most recently Bolton. Bolton seems to fit the bill and be a little more affordable than the other towns on the list. We are looking for opinions on the new construction at Century Mill Estates (where we can afford the cheapest homes in the neighborhood), and experiences with the schools. I have elementary aged kids now, but we plan to stay put through their school career. Does Nashoba Regional publish a list of colleges their graduates have been accepted into, or plan to attend? I've been digging through their website but haven't found it. Are there pre-schools in Bolton? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 02:32 AM

187 posts, read 217,278 times
I think Bolton is a wonderful town, I live in Stow but we primarily looked at both towns when we moved (Spring 2014). My husband works in Lexington and wanted Stow for an easier commute but Bolton would have worked as well I think. As for the schools, any top (level 1) school in MA, in my opinion, is what the child brings to the school. If they apply they can get into great colleges, if the child doesn't apply themselves then they won't. I teach middle school, I also went to a "great" school district, very varied career paths of all graduates. I'm pretty sure there's public pre-school but call the district. Might be a crazy lotto system. If you are only going to be happy with the BEST schools and can afford it, I'd move to Carlisle. Lol...I would have!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:52 AM

550 posts, read 680,411 times
You can also add Littleton and Groton to your list.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:17 PM

404 posts, read 526,477 times
You need to factor in property tax when looking at price. Bolton has close to highest rate in state @ $21/1k. For a 500k assessed value this is over $800/mth. Enormous expense. So really Bolton isn't any cheaper

Old 02-26-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks for your replies - especially Peabody99 and traffic_lover. I didn't realize that Bolton's taxes were close to the highest in the state! Too late though, we just signed a purchase and sale agreement for an existing home there. The taxes aren't as bad as where we are coming from near Albany, NY.

Some more questions about Bolton, now that I am going to be living there.

- summer camps for kids ages 6-11? (2 girls, 1 boy)
- pre schools for 3 year olds (anyone have experience with Children's Horizons in Bolton/Stow?)
- places to meet other moms with little kids (playgrounds, indoor play areas, etc.?) is there a bolton mom's group?
- is there a bolton running group for middle aged recreational athletes like me?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:35 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
In a week you went from not knowing if you want to live in the town to having a signed purchase and sale? That seems awfully fast. Are you sure you didn't just sign an offer contract?

Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apblye View Post
Thanks for your replies - especially Peabody99 and traffic_lover. I didn't realize that Bolton's taxes were close to the highest in the state! Too late though, we just signed a purchase and sale agreement for an existing home there. The taxes aren't as bad as where we are coming from near Albany, NY.

Some more questions about Bolton, now that I am going to be living there.

- summer camps for kids ages 6-11? (2 girls, 1 boy)
- pre schools for 3 year olds (anyone have experience with Children's Horizons in Bolton/Stow?)
- places to meet other moms with little kids (playgrounds, indoor play areas, etc.?) is there a bolton mom's group?
- is there a bolton running group for middle aged recreational athletes like me?

Thanks!
...all are questions that should have been asked prior to 'signing a contract'

Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 AM

wow! thanks for your insights! I was looking for answers to my questions, not judgements.

My real estate search has been going on longer than one week. We've been looking at houses for months. Having relocated about 12 times, I find that no matter where I live, I will find a community. My questions were not so much, "does Bolton have these things (I'm sure it does)?", but more along the lines of - "which camps should I look into".

Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 AM

161 posts, read 230,988 times
For camps, I have heard good things about Pompo Farm Home | Pompositticut Farm Day Camp | Summer Camp. If you're willing to travel out a bit further to Concord, we like Camp Thoreau and Fenn. Camp Sewataro in Sudbury also seems to get high marks.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 PM

154 posts, read 256,976 times
Unless things have changed a lot in the 4.5 years since we moved from Bolton to Sudbury, there aren't any mom's groups or running groups in the town. Stow has a fairly active parents group, and there is a running club out of Maynard. I found it difficult to meet moms in Bolton because there aren't really places in town where you'd be likely to meet up. There is a decent playground in Stow near Bose. For preschools I drove to LEAP in Sudbury. In Bolton there is a preschool available through the elementary school. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts