Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:24 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,653,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
About half of the dads in my kids elementary school are 55 yrs old. Who said 55 means old and retired?
The 55 year old age is codified in the law... Public Law 104-76: Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA). That's why you'll see people using the term in that manner. It is intended to convey that people under the age of 55 don't have the privilege to be treated as "old and retired" but people over the age of 55 do have that privilege should they choose to capitalize on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:43 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,653,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Where are all these 55+ communities. I feel like the majority of communities are are made up of people in their 30s or 40 with children
I should mention that around the time we moved south, new owners were moving into four of the 25 units in our community (including ours). Of those four, three of them were being occupied by families with at least two young children, a reflection of those family's personal choice to make an unsuitable home work for their family, probably due to a combination of location and a lack of concern about the consequences of their choice. In the month before we left, already there were notices going out from the Board of Trustees warning people about some of the bylaws that were suddenly being violated by some of the new occupants, including storage of children's recreational equipment on common land or within view on limited-common land, children playing in active driveways without effective parental supervision (meaning the parent outside the house, not watching from within), etc.

We also were aware that at least two of the four were making modifications to the home to turn it from a two-bedroom into a three-bedroom in one case (splitting the master bedroom into two smaller bedrooms - presumably the parents would occupy the guest room), and a four-bedroom in the other case (splitting the den, which had only one window, into two bedrooms, one of which had only interior walls). It would be rather remarkable if the town would have approved those modifications (especially since the Board of Trustees was unaware of them, as far as I know).

We left before things came to a head, but I could just see a disaster looming, and so we were glad to get out when we did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Furthermore, since it is our land, not the town's, it would take a multi-step process, including both us agreeing to sell the land to a developer and the state agreeing allow development on the wetlands, for that land to ever get developed.
I worry precisely about the kind of land these developments come up on such as wet lands. Will I have water in my basement?
We were bone dry for 15 years... well, at least in the basement. We had sheets of water pouring into our home a couple of times over that period, but from ice dams on the eaves.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:19 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,148,875 times
Near me at height of recession the 55 plus community that was newly built and half empty got permission to be a 45 plus community.

But catch was still no kids under 18 can live with you. It sold out as market turned right after it became 45 plus. It actually is one of the hipper communities near me for the retired crowd. Being sold between 2009 and 2014 and marketed to 45 plus it is a good 10-20 years younger than other communities.

Also a few rare 55 plus communities near me allow kids under 18 as long as they don't attend public school. And you show proof. My aunts complex is like that and a few parents that are not that old, lets say Dad is 55, wife is 50 and kids in school moved in.

They send their kids to Catholic school.

Also the better deals are income based and older. One near me is 62 plus (both husband and wife) and has income restrictions. Under 50k. It is free market sales, but with the restrictions they go for a lot less. Plus town waives nearly all income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts