Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Honestly, not a lot of towns really come to mind. I feel like the closest to fit that bill would be Randolph.

You're more likely to find towns like that in greater Atlanta.
Randolph is not really middle class anymore, at most maybe lower middle. Milton is more upper middle. Avon is sort of in between, with also a growing black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:27 AM

55 posts, read 87,726 times
Milton would probably be closest in the immediate Boston area but even that is somewhat segregated within the town limits. East Milton is predominately Irish Catholic and very caucasian. African Americans tend to live on the other side of town closer to the Boston line. That being said Milton High School has a healthy amount of diversity and you never hear of any problems with everyone getting along.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Randolph is not really middle class anymore, at most maybe lower middle. Milton is more upper middle. Avon is sort of in between, with also a growing black population.
Randolph's median household income is over $60K. It's about $5K below the state median income. That's very low by Norfolk county standards but it's still middle class. Metro-Boston has become so affluent that an awful lot of people view anything below 6 figures as near-poverty level.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Randolph's median household income is over $60K. It's about $5K below the state median income. That's very low by Norfolk county standards but it's still middle class. Metro-Boston has become so affluent that an awful lot of people view anything below 6 figures as near-poverty level.
Yes but that's the overall residents. I believe the black population would be more lower middle class. Randolph has a lot of immigrants.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:46 AM

550 posts, read 680,716 times
I agree with Milton. It has middle to upper class black population. I have met a few families from there and they were attorneys and business owners

Old 12-01-2015, 02:15 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Median household income doesn't always tell the whole story though.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
A family making less than 6 figures in Metro Boston in 2015 is in a precarious financial situation unless they have a large inheritance or family who can bail them out if something were to happen.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
A family making less than 6 figures in Metro Boston in 2015 is in a precarious financial situation unless they have a large inheritance or family who can bail them out if something were to happen.
I figured we'd get one of these posts.

Norfolk County is the wealthiest county in the state. The median household income is $82K. You need to get yourself out of that suburban enclave and see how everybody else lives.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:57 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
I figured we'd get one of these posts.

Norfolk County is the wealthiest county in the state. The median household income is $82K. You need to get yourself out of that suburban enclave and see how everybody else lives.
I lived in poverty when I was younger. Being lower middle class (if there is such a thing anymore) isn't a comfortable situation. Just because many people are in that situation doesn't make it ideal.

FWIW I don't live in a particularly wealthy suburb.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:00 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
Deval Patrick lives in Milton.

Quite honestly there don't seem to be a lot of black people in milton. There's more than in a place like Hingham, but it's still mainly white with a few sprinklings of them here and there. And to live in milton they can't be poor so they must have a decent job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton,_Massachusetts

says 20% black

I've heard Pembroke has more these days as well?

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 12-01-2015 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts