Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:54 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulgolfer View Post
Thanks all, looks like I may have to think long and hard about this if offer the job. Living out west, I can't imagine living without A/C. That could be a deal breaker.
You can buy a window unit for $100. Honestly for sleeping at night they are better than central air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 AM

434 posts, read 510,338 times
I've never had central air, only window units. Somehow I've managed to survive to age 39 ....

Old 12-07-2015, 12:01 PM

779 posts, read 876,734 times
Ohio summers and New England summers are like night and day. Humidity in the midwest is much worse during the summer. I grew up in Missouri and now can't even go back during July or August because I've been spoiled being out of it for so long.

I actually don't mind the window units--our house was built in the 1700's and we'd need to install all the ductwork to get central air. There are many days in the summer we don't use the air conditioners at all, or only turn them on in the afternoon. For the most part I like having the windows open, especially in the evenings/at night. The biggest draw back for me is having to lug them out every spring, then position them in the windows, then having to take them out (and inevitably scratch up the paint), every fall.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I've never had central air, only window units. Somehow I've managed to survive to age 39 ....
Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:30 PM

578 posts, read 568,943 times
Most people around here anyways (central Mass) don't have central air. Really not worth the investment - most people use a window unit form about June to early Sept, of course depending on the year. Actually that is the younger generation/families. I think most older people/couples tend to not even bother with it. Yeah we will get a streak of three or four hot days in a row, but usually evenings cool off enough. You can get one installed if you want, but your bigger issue is going to be one of heating, not air conditioning.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:33 PM

875 posts, read 663,172 times
I think central air is one of those things that once you have had it you don't want to go without it

Old 12-07-2015, 02:11 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
I think central air is one of those things that once you have had it you don't want to go without it
I feel the same way. I don't mind the summer heat in this area, but I still have my A/C cycle a few times per day in the summer just to keep the humidity level down. I set the temp to 78 degrees.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,136,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Pretty much any house can be retrofitted with A/C. A small air handler in the attic for the upstairs bedrooms. A mini-split or two downstairs if there is no way to add ducting.
This. Start with mini ducts in the primary bedrooms and, if warranted, address the remaining rooms as money allows.

If you know an electronician (i.e., cheap labor), then cost of a mini-duct install can be reduced greatly.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:49 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I lived in WMass my entire life and all we ever had was a window a/c in the one room that we hung out in--and that would cool the nearby rooms sufficiently--and a small window a/c in the upstairs bedroom. We do get heat and humidity but it's not unbearable except for a few days. In our case we lived in the woods and there really wasn't much need for a/c at all. If you choose a house out in the middle of a corn field with no shade trees, yep, you might need central air or at least window a/c in most rooms.

We never retrofitted the entire house for central air. Waste of good money. Now talk to me about HEATING and that's another story--I'd pay anything!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:40 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Most homes pre-1980s in MA are hot water heating which, IMO is a superior way to heat over forced hot air. Unfortunately for AC is that these heating systems don't have duct work, so installing central AC is expensive. Lots of people get by with window AC's or a window AC installed into the wall.
This is spot on. Even a lot of new construction homes don't have central air, it usually isn't worth the cost for the use it gets. You could always install window AC units or a ductless air system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts