Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:38 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomydog2 View Post
Almost possible in Sudbury or wayland if you're fine living in a smaller house or townhouse and stretch a little.
Nice towns but no defined town center in either one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 AM

73 posts, read 124,830 times
Right now we don't have a commute to Boston. I'm a special education teacher and my partner works from home. She may eventually end up in Boston, although that's not firm. Our priority is that we could be in a home that is close to the town center. We want to be able to walk around the center and see people, get coffee, go to the bank, etc. An old house that needs repairs doesn't bother us; we've owned houses before. We are trying to stay inside 495 so we are closer to Boston, Cape Cod, and family in Milton, Newton and Brookline. Someone has suggested Sharon, Franklin and Norton. I don't know much about these towns. We'd like to come out in February (we are in San Diego) and meet with a realtor and see places in these towns. We are not stuck on a specific town but we do want to live close to a walkable, alive town center.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:21 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomydog2 View Post
Almost possible in Sudbury or wayland if you're fine living in a smaller house or townhouse and stretch a little.
Sudbury has no center, but the main retail strip on Rt-20 is bustling during the day. Bustling with stay at home moms driving huge SUVs with a coffee in 1 hand and a cellphone in the other hand.

Wayland town center looks nice, but it's totally fake. You need to drive there and park in the huge parking lot, then walk from shop to shop. The vibe is totally dead at all hours, even on the weekends.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:51 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times
I'd say that most town centers are pretty dead with the exception of Lexington, Concord, Stoneham (the ones I know). IMHO, a bright, busy downtown in small towns just doesn't exist.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:55 PM

434 posts, read 510,152 times
Melrose has an amazing downtown but still a small-town feel, but you're going to have a hard time with a $500,000 budget there.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Sudbury has no center, but the main retail strip on Rt-20 is bustling during the day. Bustling with stay at home moms driving huge SUVs with a coffee in 1 hand and a cellphone in the other hand.

Wayland town center looks nice, but it's totally fake. You need to drive there and park in the huge parking lot, then walk from shop to shop. The vibe is totally dead at all hours, even on the weekends.

Any time I go into the Wayland Panera, it's practically empty. Across town, I marvel how little Cochituate center always has many more people walking around. The Starbucks and Einstein Bagels are always packed.

Wayland does have a good all season farmer's market and library.

The Mill Village complex in Sudbury has some very cute businesses.

There are also many yoga studios in Sudbury for developing no handed, knee steering capabilities amongst the town matrons.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:19 PM

226 posts, read 386,409 times
Why all the disrespect for stay at home moms? Did you regard your own mother with the same level of snark and resentment?

Old 12-29-2015, 04:25 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Why all the disrespect for stay at home moms? Did you regard your own mother with the same level of snark and resentment?
I don't think I said anything disrespectful. It was more for comedy than anything else. "Downtown" Sudbury plazas actually have more cars at 11am on a weekday than they do on a typical weekend due to all the stay at home moms running their errands. It's a small 1-mile stretch of retail on Rt-20, but it's very much a bustling place if you don't mind driving from plaza to plaza due to our disconnected sidewalks. Every lunch spot in town is always packed during the week. Contrary to what most people think, you can actually buy a decent move-in ready home in Sudbury for $500k. Be prepared to pay $9000/yr on property taxes though.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't think I said anything disrespectful. It was more for comedy than anything else. "Downtown" Sudbury plazas actually have more cars at 11am on a weekday than they do on a typical weekend due to all the stay at home moms running their errands. It's a small 1-mile stretch of retail on Rt-20, but it's very much a bustling place if you don't mind driving from plaza to plaza due to our disconnected sidewalks. Every lunch spot in town is always packed during the week. Contrary to what most people think, you can actually buy a decent move-in ready home in Sudbury for $500k. Be prepared to pay $9000/yr on property taxes though.
I know a lot of home based business owners in Sudbury, stay at home moms and dads. I thought Wayland was the same, but I could be wrong about this.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 PM

404 posts, read 526,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
Mme:
Like death & taxes, it's inevitable that this board:
1. Blames soccer/SAHMs for the ills of suburbia
2. Worships at the feet of the god of melrose & arlington.
Don't let it bother you. C'est la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts