Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times

Advertisements

The exam schools will let a student live outside the Boston city limits as long as the student 1) has attended the exam school since 7th grade, and 2) the student is either a junior or senior. I worked with a couple of kids attending BLS whose families had moved to Quincy the summer before their senior years. I don't know if the exam schools still allow this, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vs123 View Post
Is it ok to own a home in one city and rent in another city that has better schools to send your kids to the city you are renting in (for the better schools)? This is assuming pick up and drop off are not an issue.
This is from the Somerville School District, but most districts in MA have similar language, IIRC:

Q How is Somerville “residency” defined?
A In order to attend the SPS, a student must actually reside in the City of Somerville. “Residence” is the place where a person dwells permanently, not temporarily, and is the place that is the center of his or her domestic, social and civic life. Temporary residence in the City of Somerville, solely for the purpose of attending a Somerville public school, shall not be considered residency. The residence of a minor child is presumed to be the legal residence of the parent(s) or guardian(s) who have physical custody of the child. This presumption, however, may be rebutted, if there is evidence that the child actually resides elsewhere.

This is common sense, isn't it? If it's so easy to circumvent the residency requirement by simply renting a shack in Lexington or Newton (that should only be $3,000 per month), everybody would be doing it, no?

But, of course, like everything else in life, it's all legal unless you get caught.

Mick

Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM

19 posts, read 23,246 times
Who asked about legal ramifications? Cause here it is Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News

Granted that didn't happen in Mass. but don't assume it couldn't happen here.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
I said "You could get sued or prosecuted" but I think it's unlikely. Probably once the kid was out of their school, they'd feel as if they'd done enough. But there you are, it can get worse if you aggravate the situation the way that Ohio woman did. It's sad to hear her say "I did it for my children" but that's the way it goes.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,388 times
I'm posting to this old thread because this local incident is exactly on the topic. The case sounds outrageous, but school districts don't like it when they think that a student belongs in some other town!

Judge: Superintendent doing residency check didn't trespass - Massachusetts news - Boston.com

Old 02-18-2016, 02:30 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
How is it possible that a Superintendent is allowed to bust into the house and rifle through belongings? There has to be more to the story. At the very least there must be some sort of probable cause standard and/or a court issued warrant.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:34 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
I said "You could get sued or prosecuted" but I think it's unlikely. Probably once the kid was out of their school, they'd feel as if they'd done enough. But there you are, it can get worse if you aggravate the situation the way that Ohio woman did. It's sad to hear her say "I did it for my children" but that's the way it goes.

What happened here when one school system found literally several hundred students attending its schools was to send the students back to their home district and then file suit to collect out of system tuition for the time the students were there, around $14K/year/student.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:11 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What happened here when one school system found literally several hundred students attending its schools was to send the students back to their home district and then file suit to collect out of system tuition for the time the students were there, around $14K/year/student.
Good idea!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:52 PM

417 posts, read 733,905 times
"She said Hyde couldn’t be convicted of trespassing because he wasn’t forbidden from the home." whaaat? lol

Old 02-19-2016, 07:49 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
It's all fine until you get caught and blame the school system rather than yourself for breaking the rules.

My G/F is a teacher. This has come up before in casual convo and she has told me she was aware of a few students who were not really residents of said city being found out, and forced to leave.

Might be a huge deal to a child who grows up around good friends in said good school system, to all the sudden be separated and forced into a crappy school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts