Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:06 PM

22 posts, read 20,516 times

Advertisements

I have a contracting job for 6 months in Boston, MA . My husband lives in Dallas, TX. I have lived in both places. To give you background, I am originally a South Asian (India) and have worked in a few cities in US. My husband is an American and spent most of his time in TX and OK with a few years in CA throughout his life. He likes being close to the water but at the same time can't tolerate blue states like CA and NY and most of east coast for reasons such as : liberals, gun-control, rude people, police state.
Now I come from New Delhi, India which is the biggest city in India. I'm used to the crowd and I like the accessibility of living in a city like- going for shopping, checking out new places during weekend, transportation, outdoor activity, proximity to mountains and calmer regions etc.
I came to Dallas for work where I met my now husband. I lived there for almost a year. Initially I liked it. It was the first city I lived in US. I liked the openness of the city and the friendliness of people.
After about a year, I got a contract job in Boston where I lived for four years in Cambridge, MA. I fell in love with the city, having somewhere new to go every weekend, loved the ocean breeze and the liveliness of the city. I also practiced martial arts to keep myself busy. I didn't mind the snow. I actually enjoyed that part too. But keep in mind I lived in a furnished apartment so I didn't have to worry about snow removal etc.
After my 4yr contract ended, I got married and moved to Dallas. I immediately noted the difference. The air felt dry, I'd catch more cold infections here. I didn't like doing any workout because 6-7 months of the year were too hot and dry to go outside and do anything. I lived with my husband so we had a big house there but most of our weekend would be spent at home watching TV or something in the air-conditioned home. We both worked in IT jobs. Our outings used to be shopping at a mall, eating out or watching movie at a theater. I was feeling more angry and irritated there. The only times we went for a long weekend was when we went to San Diego or Galveston to be close to water. My husband also has more allergies there and he's stuffy most of the time there.

Now, that I have found another contracting job in Boston, I'm thinking if I should really find a full-time position in Boston and have my husband move in here as well or go back to Dallas (He still works in Dallas, TX). I can technically find jobs in both places under the same company I work. The problem is I'm also not fond of the blue state liberal laws and anti-gun rules so I have considered NH perhaps. We both think that it maybe good for us since it has the freedom of Texas but also has the clean weather of New England and is close to water.
There are definitely more jobs in Boston,MA then NH or TX. Am I being realistic here? Should I go back to TX where my husband likes and maybe find ways to overcome his allergies - getting humidifier etc?
Will I like living in NH since it doesn't have the city feel like Boston? or should I find some place in MA which is less liberal and find a place for easy commute to Boston for work? We don't have kids yet so I want to settle in a place which is good for raising family as well.
Please give me your suggestions or advice if you have been through a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 04:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,669,684 times
Stay in TX. You'll both be happier there.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,220,917 times
If the choice is between humidifier vs. enduring our politics and great quality of living, just get a humidifier and stay where you are. Much cheaper in the long run.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:37 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,430,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I am going to have to second this. I can't think of anyplace in either Massachusetts or New Hampshire were it would fit. While not as liberal as Massachusetts, New Hampshire is if you are thinking red vs blue states. Also if anything people are even more standoffish in NH. I, personally find that a bonus but not thinking you will.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Dm84, Why do you say that I should stay in TX? Are you from TX or have you been in Northeast?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I am going to have to second this. I can't think of anyplace in either Massachusetts or New Hampshire were it would fit. While not as liberal as Massachusetts, New Hampshire is if you are thinking red vs blue states. Also if anything people are even more standoffish in NH. I, personally find that a bonus but not thinking you will.
Thanks MagicShark. I always thought NH is more conservative and live by their moto: Live free or Die. Is that not the case?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
If the choice is between humidifier vs. enduring our politics and great quality of living, just get a humidifier and stay where you are. Much cheaper in the long run.

Good luck.
Thanks kingeorge. I hope the humidifier works. It's not that I hate Texas. I just wish that the weather was little nicer there. May be we could invest in a full-house humidifier. Although I do like the food choices in Texas: excellent BBQ, tex-mex and italian too

Old 01-11-2016, 06:48 PM

317 posts, read 328,873 times
You both sound lovely.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,430,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblade View Post
Thanks MagicShark. I always thought NH is more conservative and live by their moto: Live free or Die. Is that not the case? Do you not like living in MA?
I absolutely love living in Massachusetts but my philosophy seems much different then you and your husband's.
As for New Hampshire their motto is just a motto. Most of southern New Hampshire is full of Massachusetts' natives. But even most born and raised are not conservative by "southern" standards.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,669,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblade View Post
Dm84, Why do you say that I should stay in TX? Are you from TX or have you been in Northeast?
I've always lived in the Northeast. Just the way your post read made it seem like you wouldn't like living here long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts