Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times

Advertisements

I needed a quick bite to eat when I was in BackBay last week. Inspired by the C-D coffee thread, I wanted to find out if Cosi truly lived up to its "reputation". No coffee that day, but did have one of the worst flatbread sandwiches I've had in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 08:53 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I needed a quick bite to eat when I was in BackBay last week. Inspired by the C-D coffee thread, I wanted to find out if Cosi truly lived up to its "reputation". No coffee that day, but did have one of the worst flatbread sandwiches I've had in years.

Horrible. I hated when my old downtown place used them for catering.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:26 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Last place I went was Cook in Newton. It was a small space and had a small menu, but the atmosphere was great even with kids. Attentive service and good food. I'd go there again, especially since it's a block from Cabot for dessert afterwards.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:28 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There not "bad", I just don't think they are worth it. I guess I'm a little uptight like that. If I'm paying $25 for an entree, I want to enjoy it 50% more than if I spent $16.50 for an entree, my mind just works like that.
You definitely would not enjoy fine dining then. Any restaurant that charges more than a few bucks above average will not give you proportional returns in quality. It's like wine. Once you hit the $15-20 sweet spot, more expensive wines are only marginally better in quality.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Only one of these was a first visit, but my last 5 sit down restaurant meals have been:

Momo and Curry: Recommend. Momo & Curry

Hojoko: Strongly recommend. Hojoko Boston

La Brasa: Regular stop for me now, always recommend. La Brasa Somerville

East Coast Grill: Wanted to go one last time before they closed, gone downhill and will not be missed. East Coast Grill & Raw Bar | Inman Sq. | Cambridge MA

Muqueca: Neighborhood favorite of mine, always great food. Muqueca Restaurant

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You definitely would not enjoy fine dining then. Any restaurant that charges more than a few bucks above average will not give you proportional returns in quality. It's like wine. Once you hit the $15-20 sweet spot, more expensive wines are only marginally better in quality.

Most of the time I don't. The exception in Boston being Bergamot (Cambridge), that I thought was well worth it. Ten Tables, Craigie, Alden and Harlow (my date who was a big foodies felt the same on this place), TW Food, etc etc (of the places I've tried) weren't worth it all to me.

Interestingly, I hate wine in general, but I did have some $50 area Gundlach Bundschu wine a friend brought back and I thought that it was pretty interesting and drinkable. For wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

La Brasa: Regular stop for me now, always recommend. La Brasa Somerville
I must have gone on an off night. I though it completely sucked, esp for the money.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Really? When I used to work downtown I loved their sandwiches. They must have gone downhill.

If you want a great place to grab a quick, inexpensive bite try Viga (Viga | Fresh Matters). They have 3 locations. I love the chicken parm on flatbread.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Really? When I used to work downtown I loved their sandwiches. They must have gone downhill.

If you want a great place to grab a quick, inexpensive bite try Viga (Viga | Fresh Matters). They have 3 locations. I love the chicken parm on flatbread.

Viga was great at catering.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Quote:
Most of the time I don't. The exception in Boston being Bergamot (Cambridge), that I thought was well worth it. Ten Tables, Craigie, Alden and Harlow (my date who was a big foodies felt the same on this place), TW Food, etc etc (of the places I've tried) weren't worth it all to me.

Interestingly, I hate wine in general, but I did have some $50 area Gundlach Bundschu wine a friend brought back and I thought that it was pretty interesting and drinkable. For wine.

I must have gone on an off night. I though it completely sucked, esp for the money.
Isn't Bergamot in Somerville? I've heard good things, but haven't been there yet. I'd love to check it out sometime though

Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Viga was great at catering.
In another life, I worked at an office in 100 Summer Street in Downtown Crossing. I don't know if they still do but Viga had a location that was maybe a block away. I was there regularly for lunch. They had punch cards back then that got you a free slice of pizza which was a nice perk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts