Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 05:24 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times

Advertisements

[quote=timberline742;42946981]Where in Somerville isn't walkable to a significant place of activity? I'm on the line close to Charlestown and its 10 minute walk to Union.

Magoun is happening. Broadway is really picking up. Union, Porter (close to Somerville), Davis, Ball, all happening.

I'm trying to think of someplace not walkable to one of these, maybe Foss Park but that's actually close to Assembly now which is pretty happening, and its such a small part of Somerville.[/quo

I said Arlington is walkable, now I am in pushed conversation about Somerville the Paradise City, completely irrelevant for this thread. Did you know that Arlington parents "struggle" with their teens being cut of from civilization and refined living only found in Somerville?

Must give semiurbanite credit for inserting Somerville into every conversation about any neighboring town, like a clockwork, and always with claims of Somerville's superiority. We should all collectively shoot ourselves for not living there (I did, do not particularly care to go back, but glad it is revitalizing).

East Somerville, Brickbottom and McGrath, Assembly are far from pedestrian paradise. Doable for brave traffic darters, but far from ideal situation. Point was that every area has more and less convenient/walkable neighborhoods but people still manage to navigate and have a life.

Areas do not need to be "happening" with perfect online walking score of 100 to support walkable lifestyle (how people survived before is a mystery) It is retarded to think that only with internet and hipsters we have discovered that people can use their two feet for other things then driving around..

Areas of Arlington are close to Belmont center, Davis Sq., Lexington and Winchester, one really doesn't need to be right in the town center or Arlington Heights, to have a good life there. Plenty of things and places for kids and adults to go to. Good transportation options too.

OP asked about Arlington. This is thread about Arlington, so why do we need to endure yet another RE pep rally about Somerville and elementary school "success" when controlled for income?

Not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:59 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
I stayed on topic relatively well, the OP wanted walkable and I was making my case for the fact that much of Arlington is car dependent.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
Everybody talk about how great it is to avoid long commutes…I am curious why people do not consider that in the commuter train or the boat, one could easily browse internet, do some work, or simply relax reading a book or a paper or whatever.
I understand the argument that being stuck in traffic might be a waste of time. However, taking the commuter rail or the boat can be very productive or pleasant even if the ride is 45min-1hr…
I personally prefer this type of commute and a great home.
If you work very regular hours, and never need to stay late, AND you live within, say 5 minutes (maybe 10, either walking or driving) of the train station or boat dock, AND your workplace is less than a 10 minute walk form the station, then, sure, riding the train or boat can be great. You can read, surf the net, even sleep. BUT, if you have a half hour drive to a train station, and/or a long walk to work, or if your spouse works somewhere other than downtown, where the commute is awful, or if you ever stay late, and have to watch the clock every time you get into a conversation at 5:30, and you miss your train, or if you ever leave after the rush hour, and miss a train and have to wait 30 or 60 minutes for the next one, or you unexpectedly need to leave early, then train and boat are not so great.

That's part of why some towns are very desirable -- if they have two or even three train stops, plus a bonus if somehow the T is also an option, plus a bonus that there is easy access to major highways and not a completely insane drive downtown if you should happen to need to do that. I love public transit, but it's not as lovable when it's a half hour drive, plus 45 or more minutes on the train, plus a walk or shuttle or transfer to another form of transportation to work.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:54 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Default Re

I've taken the commuter rail before, it's not great, never taken the boat. Is it worth a million dollars tiny house to get home a half hour earlier thanks to a shorter commute. I don't think so. Thanks for the options boston (:

Working from home is key

Old 02-09-2016, 07:11 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I've taken the commuter rail before, it's not great, never taken the boat. Is it worth a million dollars tiny house to get home a half hour earlier thanks to a shorter commute. I don't think so. Thanks for the options boston (:

Working from home is key
I've never taken the boat, either. I know a big town with boat access is Hingham. I've heard quite a few people take the ferry, and love that as the option, and they get a big house there. And it seems great if you're working in the financial district. But if you change jobs or your spouse gets a job in, say, Lexington, you're f*cked.

I take shorter commute. I love a big house, but I love a short commute even more. It's really tough trying to optimize both. And yes, if you can work at home, even if it's just one day a week, that is HUGE.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:20 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Default Re

I don't know why people are so uptight about working from home. It really seems like the answer for the future. If more people worked from home it would certainly help their own personal situation in that theyd be avoiding a commute, helping with the earth's pollution problem, spending money on gas or the T and from clogging the roads.

Certain jobs will never be able to work from home-nurse, teacher, police officer etc...but many people have the kind of job where they could. I do. However my office seems to have this culture of you're slacking if you work from home rather than come into the office-to sit at your desk behind the computer to do the same things you do at home. I'm not even saying work from home everyday. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week, then the other days could be for meetings, face time with people, social opportunities.

There is no reason for many people to be physically in their corporate offices every day. Many people do have the luxury of working from home. I worked from home Friday and Monday due to the snow and there were a few times I felt the anxiety of, what am I missing do people think I'm lazy because i didn't go in. So silly.

If more people could work from home more often maybe there wouldn't be this obsession from so many people needing to live near boston and cambridge to be close to work making prices absolutely insane.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 02-09-2016 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Recently saw a figure that said almost 50% of people no longer work the typical 9-5, 5 day a week, 40 hours per week job so in order for public transportation to work, it must run outside the typical 9-5 schedule. Otherwise it is a waste for 50% of the public.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:20 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
You must walk fast. It took me almost a half hour to walk to Union from Sullivan when I lived there.

Nah, not a fast walker. I live near the dive shop. 10 minutes to Sullivan. 10 minutes to the Independent. Maybe 12. Timed it to show up on dates.

V=
Quote:
You have to cross under 93 and over multiple lanes of busy traffic. Assembly is not very walkable from anywhere, you more or less have to drive or take the T. Very corporate atmosphere at the majority of the bars/restaurants, not the kinds of places I'm used to in Somerville.
I cross under 93 but don't need to cross any really busy traffic to get there. Broadway maybe? But that's not busy. Good theatre. Slumbrew. Not my fav place, but some ok stuff. River Bar is good, and it has a great burger. Places there don't strike me as more corporate than someplace like Joshua Tree or White Horse. But hey, you can just go to Broadway too.

Quote:
And I can actually walk to Arlington Center just as quickly as I can walk to Davis, and I live in West Somerville... But I'm sure semiurbanite would probably try and tell me I'm wrong.

That only makes sense time wise if you're up next to the Whole Foods.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post

I said Arlington is walkable, now I am in pushed conversation about Somerville the Paradise City, completely irrelevant for this thread. Did you know that Arlington parents "struggle" with their teens being cut of from civilization and refined living only found in Somerville?
I lived for a bit in Arlington. I found it not very walkable. Kind of like Belmont where I mostly grew up. A couple of places are, but it isn't in general.

Quote:
East Somerville, Brickbottom and McGrath, Assembly are far from pedestrian paradise. Doable for brave traffic darters, but far from ideal situation. Point was that every area has more and less convenient/walkable neighborhoods but people still manage to navigate and have a life.
I have no idea what you mean by traffic darters. There isn't much traffic where I live except right on Washington, and no need to do that often, and its easy enough. Crossing in Magoun is no different than Davis Sq, and probably the same or easier as Arlington Center.

Quote:
Areas of Arlington are close to Belmont center, Davis Sq., Lexington and Winchester, one really doesn't need to be right in the town center or Arlington Heights, to have a good life there. Plenty of things and places for kids and adults to go to. Good transportation options too.
Where in Arlington is close to Belmont Center? Route 60/Pleasant at Route 2? That's quite a walk to Belmont Center, same with Arlington Heights. That's a haul. Arlington is a great place to live, no doubt, its just not overly walkable outside of some places right along Mass Ave.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:46 PM

295 posts, read 316,984 times
Its probably an apples to oranges comparison between somerville and arlington. Arlington is bigger than Somerville but has almost half the population.

Other than the Boston/Somerville/Cambridges of the world, Ive always felt these walkable "town centers" in the inner core to outer burbs to be a bit overrated in this day and age. It might bring back nostalgia, but how many people still goto the postal offices, banks, tailors, mom and pop hardware shops, or even libraries that serve as major parts of these town centers on a regular basis? I used to as a kid but with the Internet/email/kindle and the big box hardware stores/Legacy Places/malls of the world thats where we find ourselves utilizing. Yes, ice cream or going to a restaurant located in town center every once in a while is on the agenda and the occasional flea market, but town centers used to be much more important than it seems nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts