Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times

Advertisements

'I like peace and quiet and trees and grass'

Me too. I guess maybe the grass is always greener. No pun intended. Living in southie we are ready for some peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 12:05 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, can't do the granny cart, I'm a dude.
You sound like a "metrosexual" who loves living in Somerville and visits designer pubs for ginseng flavored beer. You'll look fine with a granny cart.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I like peace and quiet and trees
Me too, and the sound of multiple neighbors running concurrent lawn mowers every weekend is far from quiet.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Me too, and the sound of multiple neighbors running concurrent lawn mowers every weekend is far from quiet.
Strangely, that sound lulls me right to sleep....

Old 02-10-2016, 12:15 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I also don't get the walkability to a town center either. Who the heck has time to walk to get groceries then luggage them home particularly in this weather. Who walks their dry cleaning to the dry cleaners?
Oh, I just love walkability to a town center. Sure there are some times when you need a car. If you're doing a really big grocery shop you could drive. But you can always get those grocery carts that they sell for bringing groceries home. And when it is snowing/icing, etc., it is SO awesome to be able to walk somewhere and not have to worry about being in the car, and whether the roads are too slick or dangerous, etc. Just put on your coat, hat, gloves, scarf and boots, and walk over to a restaurant!

When I lived in Chicago, across from Wrigley Field, I used to walk my clothes to the dry cleaners because it was literally across the street. It was closer than I'd sometimes have to walk to my car in a large parking lot. Walkability is awesome.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:16 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post

I'll take dueling lawnmowers any day over thumping bass, Honda civic's with big mufflers, people laying on the car horn for 30 seconds at 2AM or any of the other urban commonalities I've put it with from living first in Boston and then slowly moving further and further away.

Also, I love the smell of cut grass in the spring. I wish they made that into an air freshener

Old 02-10-2016, 12:21 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:

Also, I love the smell of cut grass in the spring. I wish they made that into an air freshener
You can get it in a Yankee Candle.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
I'll take dueling lawnmowers any day over thumping bass, Honda civic's with big mufflers, people laying on the car horn for 30 seconds at 2AM or any of the other urban commonalities I've put it with from living first in Boston and then slowly moving further and further away.
This. When growing up in the suburbs, there was one person within lawnmower earshot. I had to adjust to all of the 24hr sounds of living in a city like Somerville, but for now it doesn't bother me. I'd like to find the sound free bubble on Spring Hill but I'm not sure it really exists.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:18 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Thankfully things are done by landscapers during the week. Rarely there is any significant noise around. Worst is probably snowblower, and hearing plow trucks in the winter (if awake)

Let's face it, majority of people living right around Boston and Cambridge do not have any significant acreage that would require hours of mowing and care. Another reason people have more time for other things on weekends.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:39 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I'd like to find the sound free bubble on Spring Hill but I'm not sure it really exists.
It exists. There are many small side streets and dead ends that are very quiet. No traffic, no lawnmowers, and the dense housing is excellent sound insulation. You do need to choose the location carefully though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts