Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:23 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,594 times

Advertisements

'You might look back later on, and realize that you have missed on some good opportunities because of your attitude and prejudices about towns, and homes offered for sale.'

Are you suggesting I should be buying an additional place to the one I already own? Like as in an 800k home in Arlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 01:45 PM

434 posts, read 510,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Uh I thought you lived in hingham.
I lived in the Somerville/Cambridge area for close to 20 years after I graduated college. When we were town shopping we wanted Arlington but were priced out.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Maybe arlington is just the last straw for me in watching towns and sections of the city appreciate. It also gets annoying seeing people here talk about how great all these places are when I'm thinking no really they're not that great, and you are an idiot for thinking they are! Lol. Ok I'll stop.

I'm not saying arlington is awful...but to me it seems waay overpriced. It ain't newton, it ain't chesnut hill.
I'm no lover of Arlington but i'd take it over Newton or Chestnut hill even if only for it's proximity to Cambridge. To each their own i guess.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:53 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
New construction in Arlington is running about 1.2 million to 1.4 million
Thats only for a 4000 sqft monstrosity. More modest new construction is in the 800s. And the vast majority of the homes for sale there are not new construction.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:13 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Thats only for a 4000 sqft monstrosity. More modest new construction is in the 800s. And the vast majority of the homes for sale there are not new construction.
There's not really any single family, new construction homes that I've seen under a million for the last several years, though there are smaller rehabs that go for under one million that are not tear-downs, but have had extensive work done to them. And, like you mentioned, there are a slew of 600k & 700K capes & bungalows that ALL need some work.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:21 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Quote:
'You might look back later on, and realize that you have missed on some good opportunities because of your attitude and prejudices about towns, and homes offered for sale.'

Are you suggesting I should be buying an additional place to the one I already own? Like as in an 800k home in Arlington?
No at all, I am just not sure why post about area you obviously dislike and don't know much about. What is really your gripe with local RE market and prices, and why you need to insert your negative personal opinion at every opportunity, remains mystery.

But enough, we digress from this thread's topic.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM

Default Re

Because I constantly see threads on here about arlington and cambridge. I normally don't say much but this time i felt like saying I don't see the huge attraction to arlington. I don't care that I'm in the minority on that either. Not everything I post has to be about things I like or enjoy. If anything message boards are can be used as a place to vent

Old 02-06-2016, 05:50 PM

188 posts, read 283,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingeorge View Post
So you decided against Arlington and feel you can do better with your money. That is your prerogative. It is always good to know what you want. But, I find misleading for you to say you need 1M to buy comfortably there. Your must have an expensive taste then.

BTW Jason Heights is area leaning on Belmont and it is pretty big area of Arlington. I think you are mixing it with Turkey Hill area close to Winchester and offering much newer homes in comparison.

Arlington is still great bargain in comparison to Cambridge, Belmont, Winchester etc.. But window is slowly closing, like everywhere where it is desirable. Come to Belmont, Cambridge or Lexington and see what type of fixer upper your money buys you for "measly" $1-1.2 M, and then feel outraged.

To me you sound as you have imagined type of a house in a great semi-urban environment that exists only deeper in suburbs, or will cost you an arm and a leg close to Cambridge and Boston. As it should.

But I am now curious to hear where did you go, and have not just better house but commute to Cambridge/Boston?

Recently $600K-700K around Cambridge will not get you completely updated and most amazing house fit for magazine photo shoot, with all modern amenities and space. It will get you into starter house or if lucky very decent, often historical and charming upper middle class home that you can update with your taste as times go on. Our parents did this too, why would it be beneath us now, and all homes need to be HGTV perfect before worthy of our attention and money?
Although I see what you are saying, I disagree. I simply refuse to compromise and accept all the problems that are associated with the purchase of an old house. In addition, I am not the person that will accept to give $800K for a house that does not have at least a decent garage. I prefer to commute and live in a great house and a great, beautiful town.
If of course one defines a “house” simply as a place to sleep, then probably Arlington is fine. For me, however, the house is more like a place that reflects one’s personality and taste.
Also, if I were an investor I would buy in Arlington for sure. It is a nice area to buy properties to rent out and the population is labile. But I do not see how this is a good deal for a family.
If somebody can easily afford $1M, I am sure they will not choose Arlington. I mean simply I cannot see people talking about “their multimillion dollar house in Arlington”…this is not going to happen… If someone needs to overstretch the budget to buy that $1M house, they need to consider whether Arlington is the dream town that is worth the sacrifices. Also, someone needs to consider whether living in Arlington is worth this 1500-2000sf, old house, with absolutely no updates and no parking garage for $700K+…
Again, I do not think that Arlington is bad. I am just fed up with people trying to convince that Arlington (and Cambridge, Brookline and Newton) is the best place on earth...

Old 02-06-2016, 06:15 PM

Default Re

THe previous poster pretty much summed up my feelings as well. 1 million dollars is a lot of money to most people and I can't fathom spending it on a just ok house. For 1 million I'd want the works. My boss chose to live in cohasset over newton because she was disappointed with what 1 mil could get you in newton. So she took a longer commute but has a huge newly renovated turn key ready home. A whole foods and close proximity to cambridge doesn't excite everyone.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:20 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
Although I see what you are saying, I disagree. I simply refuse to compromise and accept all the problems that are associated with the purchase of an old house. In addition, I am not the person that will accept to give $800K for a house that does not have at least a decent garage. I prefer to commute and live in a great house and a great, beautiful town.
If of course one defines a “house” simply as a place to sleep, then probably Arlington is fine. For me, however, the house is more like a place that reflects one’s personality and taste.
Also, if I were an investor I would buy in Arlington for sure. It is a nice area to buy properties to rent out and the population is labile. But I do not see how this is a good deal for a family.
If somebody can easily afford $1M, I am sure they will not choose Arlington. I mean simply I cannot see people talking about “their multimillion dollar house in Arlington”…this is not going to happen… If someone needs to overstretch the budget to buy that $1M house, they need to consider whether Arlington is the dream town that is worth the sacrifices. Also, someone needs to consider whether living in Arlington is worth this 1500-2000sf, old house, with absolutely no updates and no parking garage for $700K+…
Again, I do not think that Arlington is bad. I am just fed up with people trying to convince that Arlington (and Cambridge, Brookline and Newton) is the best place on earth...
You are not sure of anything. Multi-million dollar homes are being built & sold every week in Arlington...so you are simply behind the curve, and dead wrong. They can't build them fast enough in town and they ALL sell. Your frame of reference is outdated concerning the price-point in Arlington. As a matter of fact most new construction in Arlington is listed between 1.2 million & 1.4 million dollars for single family homes. I respect your personal opinion, but it does not match the reality of the marketplace in town.

It's funny when I read something like you said....that no one would purchase a million dollar house in Arlington. It's sort of true: they are now buying many homes worth 1.2 or 1.4 million dollars. Different town from even 2 or 3 years ago.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 02-06-2016 at 06:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts