U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:40 AM

93 posts, read 228,872 times
Default CA to MA move

Hi,
I helped my brother move from Connecticut to LA last June, and in the end we decided to fly him out there and ship his car.
We used Golden Key Express who did a good job; I think it was around $1100. Be careful when you select auto shippers; some of them don't have good reputations. As you know, you are not allowed to ship anything in your car.
To see how much it costs to ship your computer or clothes cross-country, go to UPS Global Home. Enter the estimated size/weight of your boxes and they'll tell you how much it costs. Shipping a desktop computer cross country (just the computer, not the monitor) is probably about $30-40. If you have books you want to ship, you can ship them very cheaply via the US Postal Service's book rate, USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service).

In the end, driving is cheaper, though can be very tiring. Also don't forget that 3000 miles of wear-and-tear on your Lincoln does cost something too. For instance, if it's a $30,000 vehicle with an estimated 150,000 mile lifespan, then that works out to $2000 per 10k miles.

Another consideration-- if you are driving cross-country, you should load/unload your truck every time you stop at a motel. If you leave all your cargo inside your vehicle overnight, you are at high risk for your car getting burglarized. A couple of my friends who drove cross-country and didn't unload their cars when they stopped over at motels found this out the hard way.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktrippin' View Post
Hello All!!

Well, I will be moving from Southern California to Central Massachusetts. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the cost to drive there. I am trying to see if it would just be less expensive to ship my truck (Lincoln Aviator), rather than drive.

I get about 17mpg, and it usually costs me about $65-$75 to fill up depending on gas prices. I am guessing it will cost about $1000.00 in just gas alone to get the MA. Then I guess $500.00 in hotels and about $300.00 in food. Total trip approx. $1800.00..Do you agree? disagree?

I also got a few quotes from car transport companies and i have been quoted $1200.00. Which yes it is cheaper, but now I have to buy a plane ticket for myself and my dog. ($300.00?) I also have to mail a computer/clothes and i have no idea what that would cost.

I'm basically looking for some opinions and or ideas. Or any general help. I hope this isn't to much.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 10:52 AM

10,184 posts, read 17,856,741 times
I did a similar trip from NM some months back and I think it cost me about $35-40/day for petrol; averaged about $80/night for accommodations; always had some food and water in the car and only ate in upscale restaurants on one or two occasions.

I never do more than about 300/400 a day, and in the numerous trips I've made across country, I generally stopped over to visit friends, see the sites and made it a joy ride.

Good luck, and most of all enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts