Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:24 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times

Advertisements

Well- the post was regarding stereotypes. It would be hard to come up with facts on many of these observations.

Your stereotype simply does not apply. Actually its funny that you say that it would be hard to come up with facts supporting the observations, when they have a correlation, even if it is tangential.

Funny you mention International business activity. Did you realize that the majority of International imports coming to New England actually come through the NY Port?

What does that have to do with the topic at hand? It's like me saying that NY Ports are jointly shared by NY/NJ. Good to know but not exactly on the point.

I also worked abroad and would have to disagree- I rarely have met anyone from New England working abroad.

That is your experience not a wider held stereotype. Like I said before, just on the basis of NE linkage to the international economy, there no way you presume that international travel does not occur. Also indication would be the New Englanders working in the Foreign Service at the State Department.

Since we're going only on anecdotes, here is mine: 9 of 10 times I see someone wearing a Sox hat outside of the US, he/she was from New England.

I do think New Englanders are very patriotic towards their home area and perhaps it is related. I have seen a similar attitude with people in Scandinavia- a sort of 'most happy at home' attitude. But they are much more International in views.

Sure there is a patriotism towards the region. New England is what America SHOULD be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 03:33 PM

735 posts, read 3,500,633 times
Here is something handy: Stereotype - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW- you mentioned shipping and commerce. Thus the reference to importing and could apply to exports as well.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
Yes, indeed. From the wikipedia definition:

A stereotype is a simplified and/or standardized conception or image with specific meaning, often held in common by one group of people about another group.

So where is your group of people holding this (mis)conception?

I could never stereotype one region of the U.S in terms of travel. New England with it's long history in shipping and commerce (Forbes and the other Brahmins), centers of education, and the strong European cultural presence would be considered a place where people do not travel internationally.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:55 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Sounds like I spotted you recently at Dunkin'.

I was the one driving a 14 year old truck, wearing a leather jacket that is so old, I pray each night it doesn't disintegrate, with a Ph.D. that got me no-where, but a life-time of discussion. And by the way, I like my coffee with half 'n half.
Ahhh, Ontheroad, you are the type of NewEnglander I know and love

Old 02-10-2008, 04:42 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I spent a couple years in Texas travelling with a band.

We were playing a bar called Raven's in Austin, they had a bunch of live rattlesnakes in a fish tank and a bouncer named Bubba in bib-front jeans carrying a pick axe handle, when I met this young couple from near Austin.

The wife told me they had just gone to Oklahoma on their honeymoon but her new husband had never been outside of Texas before. He missed Texas so much he cried the whole time and they had to come home early.
LMAO, willdu! Yep, that's what I'm talking about! Everything is growing so much and expanding down there since my first time down in '89! It's all those "damn Yankees' fault"! The ones who never came back up here! Personally I can't wait to "git" home!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:51 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Does this make New Englanders bad people because some don't travel? I hear a hint of "superiotiy" in your statement "they assume their (they're) inferior or some other stupid reason". What is wrong with being happy and content? What is wrong with not having the urge to travel? We are NOT all Yuppies here in Mass. We all don't have disposable income. Some of us are "the workingpoor". Some of us live paycheck to paycheck and do not have the means to blow money on traveling, whether we want to or not!

This New Englander HAS been to Texas many times and have met many a Texan who knows nothing beyond their little town. So please do not rag on just New Englanders for being not "worldly". Just ain't so! There are people all over the world who are born, live and die in the same town or close by. I would tend to think that Europe is more that way than the US because we are more a mobile society.
My statement was based on experiences from people and friends that quite often say, "I would never move to X or Y place because of ____ and _____", but yet they have never been there. They also have stereotypes about places that are not true. Maybe it isn't a superior thing, but somewhat of a judgemental thing and not being educated about an area.

I realize not everyone can travel and lots of people don't. Many people from New England have never been or hardly go to Boston. I've been lots of places, but have minimal experience with Vermont and that isn't far away...but I don't judge the state. I realize not everyone is like this and there are people all over the United States who have probably never been outside their state or their "area".

My statement was about people being judgemental and stereotyping other areas. Whether it is a superiority thing, comfort thing, or something else I'm not sure.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:36 AM

65 posts, read 378,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Ok, I'll take a shot:
We all listen to NPR, are "wicked" liberal, never wear makeup, drive 10 year old Volvo's, have Master's degrees but are stay at home moms, can't live without a daily Dunkin' run, and our uniform of choice is jeans, a fleece, and a pink baseball cap with a big RedSox "B" on it. Sound like anyone you know?
okay, are you stalking me?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 AM

66 posts, read 235,401 times
We're loud, fast talking, can-be-abrasive, caustic, funny people who don't like New Yawkas.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
The lack of travel is a social class thing, common throughout the U.S. Working class folks have little time and money to travel extensively -- this is true in New England and many other places.

That said, because so many things are relatively close here, there is a somewhat narrower spatial frame of mind here in New England than in many other places. For example, Connecticut is often thought of as a world away, even though Hartford is only 100 miles from Boston.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Ahhh, Ontheroad, you are the type of NewEnglander I know and love

I like a Dunkie medium regular.........hehehehehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts