U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-19-2009, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
There's the stereotype that no one in Mass. knows where anything is, not even the locals. It's complicated by the plethora of one-way streets. And it's not true that the roads were based on cowpaths. The roads were formed the same way the roads in the older lower section of Manhattan were formed. The area was comprised of discrete settlements separated by town squares, farmland, and estates. Roads were built around them, and back then a "road" was wherever a horse carriage could pass through.

There's the other stereotype that Bostonians have a huge inferiority complex to NYC. Which is just baffling, because I hardly see or hear it in everyday life. I think only NYC people think that, because they assume Boston ought to have one and because they spend a lot of time thinking about NYC themselves. I'm trying to find ways that Boston exhibits this inferiority complex. The two cities have been neighbors for over 300 years now. Boston would have built itself/modeled itself after NYC... and in 300 years, it hasn't. It's stayed Boston. Some parts haven't changed since like, 1763.

We just want to beat New York in sports. Really, really want to beat them. That's all. That stereotype is true and that complex exists. It causes bloodshed in isolated incidents, so don't get into any fights. And NYC is good for a weekend trip. No one cares a whole lot about New York other than that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 03:58 PM

321 posts, read 590,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
So I was speaking with a Texan buddy of mine who had gone to school up here. During the conversation he said to me "your such a new englander." Now usually I don't mind and even like the fact that I am from the best region of the US, but it got me thinking of the stereotypes (some which I am a part of):

- Snooty/Standoffish
- Well off (Banking, Publishing, Law)
- Elite Schools (Ivy League)
- Clever

At least these are the stereotypes that came up in our discussion. I had a few of my own for Texans but I am not going to mention them

So, please add your own!
- Basically cold
- Secretive
- Unemotional (and HATE emotions in public; it's the only place in the U.S. I've cried a few times in public and NO ONE walked up to me and asked if I was o.k.)
- Humorless

Altogether not my cup of tea. Waiting for the spring to move on...

Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 PM

13 posts, read 43,198 times
LOL this is almost a frightening thread to read! I am from Alaska and have been considering moving to Boston North Shore for a grand adventure and CHANGE. I have been reading the Massachusetts threads to glean information that will help me with my move. I am a bit hesitant to go someplace so Liberal and have even posted to a few other threads on that topic.

I have traveled quite a bit and lived other places but Alaska has been *home* for most of my life. I came to this site to find the real scoop on the Boston area, and not rely on our local point of view on people who live *Outside* in *the lower 48* out in *America*. Alaskans consider themselves to be not like the rest of the country and this does tend to be a truism, even in how those in other countries treat us. I have international travelers advising to NEVER present myself as an American when outside of the USA. Alaskans they say, are treated much better for even those in the middle east consider Alaskans to be *different* than the rest of the US.

The local mindset here is that everyone from *the east coast* is rude and obnoxious. People from Texas are too impressed with the size of their *GREAT State* the local joke is we should cut Alaska in half and make Texas the THIRD largest state..."just to **** them off"

Now I read this thread and think...OMG!!! is it really THAT true?

Old 02-21-2009, 01:39 AM

523 posts, read 795,352 times
(Sure this has been said before)
We're all white, snobby and rich!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,632,486 times
NE Stereotypes:

Not "fashion forward"
Can fix anything
Loves a boiled turnip

Old 02-21-2009, 08:42 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,632,486 times
An addition--

the character Clark Rockefeller impersonated

Old 02-21-2009, 04:57 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,838,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinaed View Post
The local mindset here is that everyone from *the east coast* is rude and obnoxious. ...
Now I read this thread and think...OMG!!! is it really THAT true?
You could probably not achieve a bigger change in attitude and mindset than to move from Alaska to Boston. It depends on the individual, but I am pretty sure that many Alaskans would conclude that people from the east coast megalopolis (DC to Boston) are rude and obnoxious.

Part of it is because of high population densities; the rest is probably culture.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,349,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceivedinKY51 View Post
- Unemotional (and HATE emotions in public; it's the only place in the U.S. I've cried a few times in public and NO ONE walked up to me and asked if I was o.k.)
Wow! If I was you I would be sooooo embarrassed. LOL

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM

104 posts, read 506,914 times
I was visiting New England over the holidays. My friends warned me that New Englanders weren't friendly, but I found that to be just the opposite. We visited MA, NY, and CT, and I found that people were pretty much kind and polite in all three states. It's in California that we have rude, obnoxious, and ostentatious folks.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM

12 posts, read 24,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
NE Stereotypes:

Not "fashion forward"
Can fix anything
Loves a boiled turnip
This seriously made me laugh out loud. If only my husband was a New Englander I would have it easy. Nothing broken and an easy to fix dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts