Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 9,339 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping for suggestions/recommendations for towns that meet some criteria. (I know, I know. )

-updated and nice small SFH not more than 800Kish
-must be near good nature options. Have large, active dogs
-schools not a priority
-very easy way to get in/out of Kendall sq

I've heard the usual suspects, like Arlington, Lexington, Belmont. This budget isn't going far there, and there aren't any natury trails are there? Where else could I explore?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 09:29 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
I think Arlington would fit the bill. You do have access to the Minuteman trail, and there are absolutely homes in that price range. (Also, Arlington has a dog park.) Maybe you could check Melrose?

Old 03-13-2016, 09:34 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Of course, the closer you are to the city the more urban the town will feel. If a more natural environment is a priority, then you're going to have to sacrifice an easy commute. If nature is your top priority you could look at Acton or Concord.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
You could also look at Winchester and West Medford. Horn Pond (borders Winchester/Woburn) and the Middlesex Fells (some trails are walkable from Winchester center) are good places for dogs and people to walk in.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 AM

513 posts, read 646,225 times
I would suggest Waltham. There are a few places in town Prospect Hill, Cat Rock and Beaver Brook to name a few. Nearby in Belmont is Habitat. A few miles in any direction will have you at several beautiful trails in Lincoln, and Weston.
Waltham is pretty convenient to everything and the commuter rail stops at Porter Square in Cambridge, making it one of the easier places to commute to Kendall Square from (hop on the red line or walk about 13 minutes).
I used to live near the Fells and didn't think it was that great, it's hard to feel like you are in nature when 93 pretty much bisects it. Horn Pond is OK, but small and crowded. The area, in general, does not have many options for large areas of open space outside of these two areas.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:53 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,446 times
I'm going to agree with alidmc here (except the 13 minute walk to Kendall from Porter - ???). The commuter rail is nice and if you need to drive, you have easy highway access. If you want to bike to Kendall, it's doable, particularly if you are on the south side of Waltham. The Waltham Land Trust has done great work with preserving green space and the Western Greenway is a good local resource. You also have the Charles River path if you want a paved stroll by the river.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:21 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
West Medford

Old 03-14-2016, 03:50 AM

513 posts, read 646,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
I'm going to agree with alidmc here (except the 13 minute walk to Kendall from Porter - ???). The commuter rail is nice and if you need to drive, you have easy highway access. If you want to bike to Kendall, it's doable, particularly if you are on the south side of Waltham. The Waltham Land Trust has done great work with preserving green space and the Western Greenway is a good local resource. You also have the Charles River path if you want a paved stroll by the river.
I got that from google maps.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:04 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
I got that from google maps.
13 minutes on the red line, maybe. Its 2.5 miles, more like a 45 minute walk.

Personally I would avoid a commuter rail/red line transfer if I could. The commuter rail pass would be pretty expensive, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts