U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:07 AM

19 posts, read 9,908 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I've been lurking for a while and I'm glad to finally post and get some of you guys valuable input. We are looking at two properties in holliston and ashland and we are headlocked. Please look at the pros and cons below and let me know which you would pick and why.

Ashland
PROS
1800 SQ FT
3 BEDROOM
2.5 BATHROOMS
LARGE KITCHEN
LARGE FINISHED WALKOUT BASEMENT
LARGE PARKING
GRANITE COUNTERTOPS
LARGE BACKYARD
WASHER/DRYER
4 SEASON PATIO
2 FIRE PLACES
MASTER BATHROOM
CENTRAL AC
CUL DE SAC
COMMUTER RAIL TOWN
CLOSER TO DAYCARE
LARGE ROOMS
NO HOA

CONS
CONDO
SHARED WALL
SHARED INSURANCE
SHARED PARKING
NYANZA CHEMICAL WASTE DUMP
UNMOTIVATED SELLER
NO DESIGNATED OFFICE SPACE
BATHROOMS NEED UPDATING

Holliston
PROS
33K LESS
3 BEDROOM
LOWER DOWNPAYMENT
UPDATED SO NOTHING TO FIX RIGHT AWAY
CURB APPEAL
SPLIT ENTRY
STAND ALONE HOUSE
FINISHED BASEMENT
BEAUTIFUL FIXTURES
UPDATED BATHROOM
DESIGNATED OFFICE DOWNSTAIRS
EASY TO MAKE FOREVER HOME WITH UPDATES
MOTIVATED SELLERS
CUL DE SAC
HOLLISTON TOP SCH DISTRICT

CONS
SMALL- 1200 SQ FT
1 BATHROOM
SMALL KITCHEN
POSSIBLE FLOOD ZONE
NO WASHER/DRYER
NO WALK OUT BASEMENT
NO CENTRAL AC
NO MASTER BATHROOM
CAR ACCESS TO BACKYARD
FURTHER COMMUTE
FURTHER TO DAYCARE
SMALLER ROOMS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:18 AM

2,582 posts, read 4,136,283 times
Welcome to C-D!

Doesn't really sound like an apples-to-apples comparison. I always recommend that buyers should decide on the town they want to be in first and then wait for the right property in that town. Comparing a condo in Ashland to a small single-family home in Holliston will only lead to confusion.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:30 AM

22 posts, read 14,767 times
Is there option to expand the Holliston home in the future to meet your growing needs? If so, I will go with that. Especially if Ashland property is close to the Nyanza site - that will affect the resale.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Welcome to C-D!

Doesn't really sound like an apples-to-apples comparison. I always recommend that buyers should decide on the town they want to be in first and then wait for the right property in that town. Comparing a condo in Ashland to a small single-family home in Holliston will only lead to confusion.
Thanks! I know its not an exact comparison but they are the two options in front of us, I guess that is why it is confusing but its a decision that has to be made. We like holliston better because of the top tier schools but ashland is good too so we narrowed it down to those two towns and found 2 properties in our price range.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshyd View Post
Is there option to expand the Holliston home in the future to meet your growing needs? If so, I will go with that. Especially if Ashland property is close to the Nyanza site - that will affect the resale.
The Ashland house is not near the nyanza site but it is generally something to consider when researching the town. I guess there is a chance to expand the house but we haven't brought in a contractor to verify that and approximate the cost.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:21 PM

5,506 posts, read 5,567,810 times
Is the Ashland one a multi-family? No condo fee? How will future projects or updates be handled? I would definitely get to know all the other owners involved if you pick this one.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Is the Ashland one a multi-family? No condo fee? How will future projects or updates be handled? I would definitely get to know all the other owners involved if you pick this one.
Its a duplex. The other owner has been there for over 15 years and the pride of home ownership shows on his side of the yard with a manicured lawn and landscaping. He seems to be an ok guy. The coommon wall has the stairs so hopefully we wont hear each other much. We talked to him and he confirmed this. There's a joint master insurance with him but generally updates would be done if we both agree. How do we try to get to know him more without seeming creepy? We already had a 15 min conversation with him...

Old 03-15-2016, 02:44 PM

143 posts, read 64,102 times
Holliston single family. Definitely. But that's just me

Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM

3,609 posts, read 3,684,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyMA View Post
Its a duplex. The other owner has been there for over 15 years and the pride of home ownership shows on his side of the yard with a manicured lawn and landscaping. He seems to be an ok guy. The coommon wall has the stairs so hopefully we wont hear each other much. We talked to him and he confirmed this. There's a joint master insurance with him but generally updates would be done if we both agree. How do we try to get to know him more without seeming creepy? We already had a 15 min conversation with him...
These 2 family condos can be a nightmare. Your master insurance is going to be around 3k=1,500k for your side. Then your second insurance policy for your private unit is going to be about another 400 dollars. Almost 2k for home insurance when a single family home policy might run you 600 dollars per year.

If you have a conflict with the owner over property improvement & you have a 1-1 tie in your little condo association vote....guess what's next ? You go to court where a third party settles it. If you don't get along with the guy next door...you are stuck with him. Look at it this way....if you buy this property you are going into BUSINESS with a complete stranger, because you are now part owner of a legal entity called a "condo association".

Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 PM

44 posts, read 34,202 times
I'd go with the Holliston house but I may be a bit biased since I live there. ;-) In all honesty though, I would go with the single family over a 2 family. I've never lived in/owned a condo but I've read enough horror stories about them that I'd rather stay away from them, particularly such a small "development". Neighbor guy may seem nice and easygoing now but what if he's actually really bsc? Or what happens when he sells and someone else moves in that doesn't care about the place? With a single family, you have total control (well, obviously within reason and town ordinances).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts