Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:40 PM

22 posts, read 25,526 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for such quick responses!

I didn't consider Marshfield per se because I drove through there with my husband and we didn't necessarily love the vibe we got. I certainly could be wrong as we drove through on just one day, but I liked the more quaint feel of Scituate and liked the downtown feel the harbor had without it feeling overdeveloped and had more unique shops and restaurants. It seemed that Marshfield had more chain restaurants and big-box stores, which certainly isn't a bad thing, but wasn't the charm we were looking for. We will probably rent for a year before buying, so once we're up there we can take more weekends getting a feel for the surrounding towns.

I do like how Duxbury seems to have bigger lot sizes and more bang for your buck when you look at homes, and because we don't need the train every day, could be a very good option for us.

Cohasset and Hingham seem pretty out of our price range at this point; we will be first time home buyers and will most likely be maxed out at $500K.

Due to our family's income, we want to be able to save to send our children to any college/university they like, but we won't be able to do that if we also have to pay for private school, which is why I am hoping to buy a home in a good school district. It seems that about 85% of Scituate graduates go on to higher education, which is a great number. I hate to sound snobbish myself but the town I currently work in and also graduated high school from has 98% of the student body go to college, so college readiness is something that is very important to me.

I very much appreciate everyone's input here, and if there are any other educators and/or parents on the South Shore that know more about Scituate's school system, please let me know. The more information, the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 03:17 PM

434 posts, read 510,222 times
I think Scituate and Marshfield feel very different. I'm always a little confused by how often people here suggest that they're similar.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I think Scituate and Marshfield feel very different. I'm always a little confused by how often people here suggest that they're similar.
Okay so it wasn't just me! Being a non-Massachusetts native I usually trust other opinions over mine, but when we were driving through Scituate and Marshfield they seemed very different to me too.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steenka01 View Post
Cohasset and Hingham seem pretty out of our price range at this point; we will be first time home buyers and will most likely be maxed out at $500K.
$500K won't go very far in Duxbury either..depending on how big of a house you're looking for. That price point will get you small ranch/cape style homes that might need updating, and even those are hard to come by with such low inventory lately.

Last edited by vtecluder617; 03-29-2016 at 05:00 AM..

Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 AM

If you can be patient and not terribly picky, there are houses in both Duxbury and Scituate under $500,000. In the past 12 months, 76 houses between $400,000 and $500,000 have sold in Scituate, with 45 sold in Duxbury.

As a comparison, 28 sold in Hingham and 15 in Cohasset.

One thing to keep in mind with Duxbury, though, is that even though the housing stock is more affordable, there is LOTS of money there. Median household income there is $120,000. For comparison, it's $117,000 in Cohasset, $103,000 in Hingham, and $102,000 in Scituate.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Agreed!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 PM

Again very helpful information. I think 500K will be conservative, but I don't want to overextend ourselves and haven't even gotten a pre-qualification letter yet, but next spring we should have 100K for a downpayment and closing costs.

Jan0105-Just out of curiosity, if there is a lot of money down in Duxbury, why are the homes cheaper? The only reason I can think of is that is further away from Boston and no commuter rail? Thanks

Old 03-29-2016, 02:31 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Again very helpful information. I think 500K will be conservative, but I don't want to overextend ourselves and haven't even gotten a pre-qualification letter yet, but next spring we should have 100K for a downpayment and closing costs.
Just remember there's more costs than just the downpayment and closing costs, especially if you buy a house that you know needs some work.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Jan0105-Just out of curiosity, if there is a lot of money down in Duxbury, why are the homes cheaper? The only reason I can think of is that is further away from Boston and no commuter rail? Thanks
You got it! There is the ultra-luxury market there, with $2 and $3 million-plus waterfront estates, horse farms, etc., but the houses for us regular folk are cheaper because they're just that much farther away from Boston.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 AM

188 posts, read 283,425 times
Quote:
I have to say that I am confused that you are saying this too, because as far as the schools rankings (e.g., college graduation rates etc), demographic data, stats etc., the two towns are very similar. I am not sure about the community "feel" though, since I have not lived there (but as I said, we explored the area a lot because we are moving soon).
I think that many people choose Marshfield as a very good alternative to get more for the $.
In addition, some neighborhoods in Marshfield are really very nice and some areas in Scituate are not so nice (not very beautiful I mean)...
I also think that people move around the south shore all the time. The bottom line is that all these towns are great and for many people the decision about the town comes down to where they can find the best house that they like for the $$ they are willing to spend. I am not sure for example, if a house on a busy road in Scituate is better than a house in a cul de sac in Marshfield etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts