Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:41 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,070,122 times

Advertisements

I think there is a huge trash problem in the entire state. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else that I've lived. The Mass Pike is littered with all kinds of debris. I don't know if it's the result winter and they clean it up in the Spring, but right now it's awful.

In Charlton the debris and trash on the roads is crazy! I started taking a grocery bag with me on my walks and it gets quickly filled up. Each spring volunteers do a road side pick up in honor of Earth Day. I volunteered to tackle a street near my neighborhood. It was unreal how fast I filled up one of those yellow bags. It's alot of work! We had to bring the bags to the center of town to throw in a dumpster. Most of what I was picking up were liquor bottles.

Then everywhere you go there are those donation bins. People seem to think it's okay to leave mattresses, baby equipment by those bins marked clearly, "Shoes and Clothing Only".

Then people put sofas and recliners and what not out on the curb with free signs on them. They never get gone and get rained on. Eventually they disappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:30 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,517,414 times
Affluent white trash tossing Dunks cups out the window seems to be kind of a norm in these here parts.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 AM

12,615 posts, read 21,761,835 times
I spoke with somebody at MassDOT.

You'll start seeing more cleaning crews in the next month as they do a spring sweep. They ramp down cleaning crews in the winter months as there's often snow accumulation, snow banks, etc. where trash is deposited and isn't accessible/doesn't show until spring when the snow melts. It's pretty standard practice but it makes for an eyesore come March when there's no snow and a winter's worth of garbage accumulation. I saw a crew on 140 this morning.

And for the record, they do monitor these forums. You'll still have more progress speaking to your rep (or the rep. who represents the area of the highway where the garbage is) and sharing a photo or two, but a lot of what's said here reaches the eyes of people at DOT, the Gov's office, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts