Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:16 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times

Advertisements

It doesn't exist. You've been asking this same question in all the major city forums up and down the East coast for the past year. I'd concentrate on more affordable cities like Charlotte if you don't get a salary bump for the higher COL in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Your requirements:

1. Commuting range to Cambridge
2. A neighborhood that doesn't feel so sleepy or rural
3. Would love restaurants nearby
4. Love sidewalks.
5. Schools are important.
What about predominantly nonwhite areas? Usually less expensive, usually have sidewalks, not sleepy, and restaurants nearby. Within Boston, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Dorchester have good areas among the high crime zones, neighborhoods like Dorchester's Codman Hill or Melville Park, but most residents not white. Being within the city opens up many school possibilities-- not easy to navigate but lots of options.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 AM

55 posts, read 87,713 times
What about Quincy?

Direct commute to Cambridge via the Red Line. Half-decent school system and plenty of dining options (with more on the way). $450k would you get you in the game for a 3/2 house that didn't need extensive renovations.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:30 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsox15 View Post
What about Quincy?

Direct commute to Cambridge via the Red Line. Half-decent school system and plenty of dining options (with more on the way). $450k would you get you in the game for a 3/2 house that didn't need extensive renovations.
Direct commute to Cambridge? Yes, assuming you live within walking distance of the Red Line. Fast commute? No. I've taken the Red Line to Quincy during rush hour and it takes forever.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:32 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
It doesn't exist. You've been asking this same question in all the major city forums up and down the East coast for the past year. I'd concentrate on more affordable cities like Charlotte if you don't get a salary bump for the higher COL in Boston.
We bought a 2 bed, 1000 sf, 1 bath in Marblehead last summer for $405k and have 2 kids who share a room. We plan on renovating the attic eventually into a master, or a larger room for the kids eventually. Guests stay in the partially finished basement. We now have one car and my commute is $100/mo. Super low taxes at $11/thousand. I could have done the same in Burlington. Everyone is in-fact still alive despite what CD may say.

What the OP wants is possible but people need to not have such crazy expectations.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
We bought a 2 bed, 1000 sf, 1 bath in Marblehead last summer for $405k and have 2 kids who share a room. We plan on renovating the attic eventually into a master, or a larger room for the kids eventually. Guests stay in the partially finished basement. We now have one car and my commute is $100/mo. Super low taxes at $11/thousand. I could have done the same in Burlington. Everyone is in-fact still alive despite what CD may say.

What the OP wants is possible but people need to not have such crazy expectations.
Marblehead to Cambridge would be a fairly long commute. I also don't consider $11k/year in property tax to be super low.

Regardless the OP asked a question with a specific list of criteria including a 3 BR/2 bath house with a specific square footage and a laundry list of other wants. What they're asking for is not possible. If they were willing to do what you did, yes, it's possible.

FWIW, I get where you're coming from. My house cost less than $350k is a 3 BR/2 bath, and my property taxes are under $5k/year, but my situation wouldn't meet the OP's specific criteria (schools aren't considered "good" and the commute is long).

Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Marblehead to Cambridge would be a fairly long commute. I also don't consider $11k/year in property tax to be super low.

Regardless the OP asked a question with a specific list of criteria including a 3 BR/2 bath house with a specific square footage and a laundry list of other wants. What they're asking for is not possible. If they were willing to do what you did, yes, it's possible.

FWIW, I get where you're coming from. My house cost less than $350k is a 3 BR/2 bath, and my property taxes are under $5k/year, but my situation wouldn't meet the OP's specific criteria (schools aren't considered "good" and the commute is long).
I would die if my property taxes were $11/year! Its $11/thousand which is about $4,000.

Marblehead to Cambridge requires a bit of creativity.. Hubway from Bowdoin to Kendall.

But the OP could do it from Burlington

Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM

417 posts, read 734,309 times
Since you are not here yet, I'd say your only problem is "cambridge." it is not a good spot to commute to from the 'burbs. If you had to commute to South Station, North Station or Back Bay for example, we could find you something with a relatively good commute for what you want for 450.

Is Cambridge an absolute necessity? Are you relocating with a company that has an office in Cambridge? I don't even consider jobs there.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM

816 posts, read 994,603 times
To the OP. Do what many people around here are doing (myself included) and find an area in the country that has an abundance of jobs, yet a much lower cost of living. We wanted to upgrade to a 4-bedroom and be within driving distance to the city, safe, good schools, all for under $500K. It just wasn't realistic. Why be house poor just to live in Eastern MA? It is not the center of the universe (some locals will beg to differ), and there are great, more affordable cities in our vast country. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I would die if my property taxes were $11/year! Its $11/thousand which is about $4,000.
$ per thousand is a meaningless number that has no correlation to the actual tax bill because the assessed values could be higher than they are in a place with a higher rate per thousand.

Quote:
Marblehead to Cambridge requires a bit of creativity.. Hubway from Bowdoin to Kendall.

But the OP could do it from Burlington
Could, but the commute would definitely be longer and more complicated than they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts