Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:47 PM
xtf xtf started this thread

7 posts, read 9,988 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm planning to relocate from the Bay Area to the northern Boston suburbs in about a year's time. We've lived in Boston and elsewhere on the east coast before, so we won't be totally new to this (and have experienced our share of MA winters already), but we've been out west for a while, and I'm sure the move will be an adjustment. For those of you who made similar moves, what have been the hardest parts of the transition? Any particular surprises (good or bad)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:08 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I only lived in SF, but for negatives, the produce isn't nearly as good here.

For positives, sales taxes much lower (2.5% less in MA than in SF, and its lower than anywhere in CA), and there is no sales tax on clothing here unlike in CA.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
I thought of 'puffle' who put up 4 or 5 million posts on the subject of moving from Calif to Mass and then fell silent after her move. Which led me to this thread from a decade ago. Any Californians in MA?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
I went to high school in Solano County and live southwest of Boston now. Besides weather, I'd say some differences (in no particular order):

1) Food: Mexican will be worse, Italian will be better. Produce will be much worse. Try not to cry when you go to a "farmer's market" here.
2) Density: Outside of the urban core, Massachusetts density is just a lot lower. Suburban lot sizes can be 1+ acre or more, I lived in the deep suburbs in California and even there houses were basically right on top of each other. You can get that here, especially in town centers, but out in the suburbs things can get really far apart.
3) People: Bay area is lots of transplants, people are generally more welcoming to newcomers. New England people are more reserved and outwardly gruff. If you're in a transplant-heavy town this won't be an issue, but somewhere that's a bit more "townie" it may take you a while to get to know your neighbors.
4) Schools: This is a big upgrade. Even the blue collar school districts here are pretty good. California blew up it's public schools in the 80s.
5) Outdoors: This is a big downgrade. Except for fall colors, hiking and outdoor stuff in CA is just way better. And you're only four hours from real mountains.
6) Housing costs: Much more reasonable. The nicest towns are expensive but the bay area is just insane.
7) Water: they have it here.

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's what has come to mind right now.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 AM

204 posts, read 286,282 times
jayrandom's list is spot on except I disagree with #5, but that's a personal opinion. I'll also add mosquitoes... depending on where you end up and how woodsy it is, don't count on being able to sit comfortably out on your patio in the twilight hours. Coming back here after several years in CA, my big adjustments were #1 (lack of cheap but good quality Mexican and Asian food and produce) and #3 (luckily a lot of my childhood friends were still here, but they're a little scattered and it was hard to break into new social circles). I had also gotten used to the easy, casual mix of backgrounds out there and had to adjust back to things being more segregated along both ethnic and class lines. People are a little more biting about political differences and aren't as likely to argue good-naturedly about them.

Readjusting to the driving style and parking. In CA I got used to signalling, letting people in, and generally not being an aggressive unpredictable a-hole which I had to re-learn In CA the street parking around my apartment was a bear, but everywhere else had nice big lots or big parallel spots. Back here I had to get used to shoehorning my car into a spot barely bigger than it again, along with narrow streets and rotaries. If I remember right there aren't any rotaries in the bay area.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Yeah, big time downgrade in Asian and Tex Mex, totally. I never could get into an avocado until I lived in CA.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshawk View Post
jayrandom's list is spot on except I disagree with #5, but that's a personal opinion. I'll also add mosquitoes... depending on where you end up and how woodsy it is, don't count on being able to sit comfortably out on your patio in the twilight hours. Coming back here after several years in CA, my big adjustments were #1 (lack of cheap but good quality Mexican and Asian food and produce) and #3 (luckily a lot of my childhood friends were still here, but they're a little scattered and it was hard to break into new social circles). I had also gotten used to the easy, casual mix of backgrounds out there and had to adjust back to things being more segregated along both ethnic and class lines. People are a little more biting about political differences and aren't as likely to argue good-naturedly about them.

Readjusting to the driving style and parking. In CA I got used to signalling, letting people in, and generally not being an aggressive unpredictable a-hole which I had to re-learn In CA the street parking around my apartment was a bear, but everywhere else had nice big lots or big parallel spots. Back here I had to get used to shoehorning my car into a spot barely bigger than it again, along with narrow streets and rotaries. If I remember right there aren't any rotaries in the bay area.
Yeah, depends on where you live. There is a stark difference in density between the core inside 128 and the next ring inside I-495. Don't be misled, however, by the urbanites that say it's totally rural past 128. They're not cities, but there are plenty of village centers ("main streets") past 128. Not everyone aspires to live in Cambridge or Somerville despite the overwhelming comments that lead you to believe this.

Urban parks are generally better in CA. Still, there's a plethora of excellent hiking opportunities here once you get past 128 and farther beyond. Not as "Ansel Adams" breathtaking, but those places in CA tend to be far or overcrowded anyway. Mosquitoes and ticks are indeed much worse here.

Urban farmers markets are a joke here, but there's life outside the urban core - once again I think the overrepresented Camberville viewpoint is putting a thumb on the scale in favor of CA. Even the better markets here won't compete in size and variety with the Marin County, Chico, or even Pasadena farmers markets, but there are decent farms outside 128. They send produce to the urban core, but I heard it straight from a farmer that it's the second tier stuff, unlike a century ago when the best stuff went there. They don't care since it will sell. There are some great restaurants popping up in village centers outside 128 to take advantage of these farms.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 PM

198 posts, read 211,023 times
I like MA much better, been in CA for 13 yrs...hate it.....my opinion

Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinePlovesME View Post
I like MA much better, been in CA for 13 yrs...hate it.....my opinion
Why do you like MA better?

Old 04-02-2016, 10:58 AM

198 posts, read 211,023 times
I like the people,,,general comment, I mean the natives....I am from Northeast but not MA, lived there many yrs, kids born there. I was happier......love the New England architecture, the weather, yes the weather....and the humor. Every time I go back I feel at home.....never felt at home in CA. AND the memories.....but I know things have changed there too.

Again to each his own,,,,,and I am returning as house is for sale in So Cal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts