Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:34 PM

12 posts, read 8,593 times

Advertisements

How reliable is the power in Natick?

I saw this today: Dozens Without Power in Natick | Patch

and Twitter shows a bunch of power outage issues during 3/28-3/29
https://twitter.com/search?q=natick%20power&src=typd

Just a bad week or normal for Natick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,709,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4v8 View Post
How reliable is the power in Natick?

I saw this today: Dozens Without Power in Natick | Patch

and Twitter shows a bunch of power outage issues during 3/28-3/29
https://twitter.com/search?q=natick%20power&src=typd

Just a bad week or normal for Natick?
In case you haven't been outside yet, it was extremely windy today and there were scattered power outages everywhere.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:14 PM

434 posts, read 512,456 times
There are power outages all over the South Shore today.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 8,593 times
Yes, I realize that it was windy today.

I should have qualified the question by asking how it compared to somewhere like Brighton/Oak Sq. When I lived in Brighton the power was extremely reliable. Things like substation explosions, suicidal squirrels, and tree limbs bringing down poles have only caused very brief outages/glitches. Is it the density of the power grid and redundant links that gave me the reliability in the city?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 PM

In the suburbs most of the power is delivered via overhead lines that run through tree lined streets. The grid isn't as redundant and there's only so much that can be done.

I have a standby generator precisely because I know I will lose power a few times a year, usually in the worst of weather conditions.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:26 PM

434 posts, read 512,456 times
The worst power experience I ever had was living in Cambridge. It was like being in a third world country, where you just expect the power to not work a majority of the time (ok slight exaggeration but seriously, it was AWFUL). I've lived in the suburbs now for almost 10 years and I can count on one hand how many times we've lost power.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:17 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,815,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
In the suburbs most of the power is delivered via overhead lines that run through tree lined streets. The grid isn't as redundant and there's only so much that can be done.

I have a standby generator precisely because I know I will lose power a few times a year, usually in the worst of weather conditions.
Some towns are primarily overhead, but many are underground. Residential developments built since the 80s are largely URD (Underground residential distribution) which is much more resilient. Those systems are normally redundantly fed and you won't lose power unless something more serious happens. The upfront costs to the power co is much higher, but they almost never need to repair the cable.

Your average outage is because of squirrels, car vs pole, or trees. As you said, not very much you can do about any of those. Of course, people will flip if you trim back some trees in the name of reliability. But of course, if the power goes they are even more pissed.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:25 AM

5,797 posts, read 5,127,613 times
A few years ago, during a big winter snowstorm, some idiot drove a truck into a transformer in Quincy and blacked out basically the whole city. It took almost two days for more geniuses to restore power. Usually, the problem is man made, either through accidents or due to NIMBY for not trimming trees and then forcing everyone to pay the price of big tree limps taking down whole set of wires.

Thought, to be honest, electric companies have very poor artistic flair for trimming trees. They usually do a real hack job.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Some towns are primarily overhead, but many are underground. Residential developments built since the 80s are largely URD (Underground residential distribution) which is much more resilient. Those systems are normally redundantly fed and you won't lose power unless something more serious happens. The upfront costs to the power co is much higher, but they almost never need to repair the cable.

Your average outage is because of squirrels, car vs pole, or trees. As you said, not very much you can do about any of those. Of course, people will flip if you trim back some trees in the name of reliability. But of course, if the power goes they are even more pissed.
I'll say this, many of the side streets near me have underground cables (newer development) yet they lose power just as often or more often than me. I'd say about 50-60% of houses near me have standby generators.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,835,753 times
I lived in Natick for 5 years and power outages were frequent. We had brownouts every couple months which is annoying because you need to reset your clocks pretty frequently and get UPS backups on all of your valuable equipment. We also lost power for at least a day about once a year. One year it happened in the middle of a cold winter and my family had to huddle together overnight under every blanket we had lying around in the house to stay warm. Now in the past 3 years since I've moved away I haven't lost my power yet and I've only gotten 1 brownout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts