U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:18 PM

21 posts, read 69,947 times

Advertisements

Some of you may remember that I have a sister who I'm trying to convince to move to Massachusetts. Yes, she's the one that has a cold allergy. Well, I succeeded, with a few conditions thrown in. I have to move with her. I don't know why exactly; maybe just in case she gets too cold I'll have to stick a candle up her bu.....let's leave that for later.

Anyway, I recently got back from a house hunting trip and I found a couple of houses that I really like. My favorite house, I guess you could call it my dream house, is in Cohasset. Beautiful antique home, very close to the water and a nice lot to boot. I liked Cohasset well enough, but I LOVED Newburyport. I just really clicked with everyone I met from the realtor, to the bartender to the harbormaster; I really liked the "vibe" if you will, of that town. The problem with Newburyport is I didn't really love any of the homes available right now, and the homes there are built on smaller lots.

For my sister, I understand Cohasset's schools are a little better than Newburyport's but not enough that it should make a difference, I think. She has a 14 year old son who is never going to be anywhere near the top of his class (I still love ya, boy!) and an 8 year old girl who is an Honors student and will excel in any of those two towns.

You might be wondering why I don't just get my sister's opinion on this and here's why: If I have to move from Tiburon, Ca (which incidentally I JUST moved to) then I GET TO CHOOSE!!!! I GET TO CHOOSE!!! Our parents must be so proud of us right about now.

So, perfect town or perfect house? Which would you choose, and why? And if you have anything to say about Cohasset or Newburyport I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:44 PM

270 posts, read 1,206,708 times
You can always change a house, you can not change a town. My answer: perfect town if you can't do both!

Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 PM

2,266 posts, read 4,523,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
You can always change a house, you can not change a town. My answer: perfect town if you can't do both!
Agreed. You can more comfortable and make a house yours, but a town can be more difficult. Go with the town.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:32 PM

1,810 posts, read 9,713,417 times
Location Location Location...

Real estate is about location...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,687,215 times
No doubt - choose the perfect town.
Otherwise you may feel 'trapped' in the great house in a town you don't like as much. I would choose Newburyport too.
IMO, you can't be too rich, too thin, or too far north

Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 6,962,406 times
I love Newburyport also

Old 02-13-2008, 06:33 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,548,546 times
Go with the town. Unless you're going to be a hermit and never leave the house

Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 AM

12 posts, read 51,652 times
Default N'port v. Cohasset

I moved from CA to MA in the last 5 years. I have also lived in N'port. It's a beautiful town, yuppie vibe, nice colonials near the water etc. Recently we moved to Franklin to be near Providence where I'm attending RISD.
The positives about Newburyport:
-lots of cultural stuff
-good playgrounds
-near the ocean
-upscale (if you're into that)
Not so positive:
-they have been reorganizing the schools(closed one elementary)and didn't pass a recent override to fund things.There's a mothers club you could look into for further info on this.
-not as commuter friendly to BOS as parts of metrowest/south of BOS
-more snow since you're practically in NH
-near a nuclear power plant in Seabrook NH. They actually send out evacuation plans in case of an emergency.
Being a MA native (from M'head) and having lived in CA for 20+ years I know what your transition will be about. Weather issues, diversity issues, lack of good restaurants etc. But N'port is pretty town with some good restaurants (no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's nearby alas). Also, there's Portsmouth NH just north of there which is also a fun town.
We're looking for a house in Franklin, and believe me the housing is overall more attractive in Newburyport. So, take heart!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,393,447 times
I would personally choose a perfect town over a perfect house anyday. I can always make the house perfect. Can't make a town perfect.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:37 AM

2,412 posts, read 6,465,429 times
I concur - go with the town. Get a decent house that has the fundamentals right (location, general floor plan, overall space, etc.) and you can improve it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts