Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 12:22 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I guess the confusion stems from your insistence that Somerville is some magical place where one can discount the low income influence. Anyone can make the same claims about any city or town.

Your kids must be young. Their peers become more important when they get to high school.
At least Somerville High only gets an A- from Niche.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 12:41 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Cambridge Ridge Latin, with such a relatively low graduation rate, should not be getting an A+ from Niche. That's just ridiculous. If this is not pandering to Harvard then I don't know what is.
Lower income kids drop out for many reasons - to supplement family income, pregnancy, etc. Should the school be ranked significantly lower because of these personal decisions?

Old 04-18-2016, 12:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Lower income kids drop out for many reasons - to supplement family income, pregnancy, etc. Should the school be ranked significantly lower because of these personal decisions?
The point of these rankings is that they don't make adjustments based on factors that are outside of the school's control. They are evaluating raw data, whatever the reasons.

For instance if 10 people drop out of Somerville schools and 1 drops out of Sudbury, then it shows the dropout rate is significantly higher. Why isn't relevant unless you want it to be. Even still, it won't change the raw numbers.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:09 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
I don't worship prestige or status, for Pete's sake, I live in Quincy (and love it!). My question is exactly what Casey asked.....what exactly is being controlled when we say "control for income"???? It sounds to me like rich kids hanging out with rich kids and they score well, and poor kids hang out with poor kids and they underperform...and these kids might get to see each other in Glee club or some other social settings once or twice a day. But that's it. How is this "diversity"? It looks more like segregation to me.
Based on some of the figures I've seen on this board, I think when one speaks of controlling for income, it is done by looking at the MCAS scores for those considered low-income and those not considered low-income (or as the state puts it "economically disadvantaged"). You can look at the numbers yourself using this website.

I'd be somewhat weary of drawing too many conclusions from these trends, however. What's pretty clear from all the data is that there is a strong correlation between family income and parental education levels and student academic performance (SAT Scores and Income Inequality: How Wealthier Kids Rank Higher - Real Time Economics - WSJ). That's most of what school rankings tell you--how affluent students in a given district are.

When you control for income in this crude way, it likely tells you just as much about the kinds of income distribution as it does about any particular trends in education. A district like Somerville or Cambridge has a large number of low-income students that bring down the general average and a relatively large number of very-well-to-do (and from very well educated) families, who bring up the non-low-income average. A middle-class town, on the other hand, doesn't have a lot of low-income students or a lot of high-income students, so generally won't see as much of an improvement when controlling for income in this very crude manner. Based on the information available to the school when the MCAS is taken, that's about the best they can reasonably expect. Most children don't know their parents income and even if they did I don't think schools would be justified in asking for this information.

The problem of determining just how good a school district is at educating students as opposed to the relative affluence of the incoming students is a difficult problem. I think different kids responds differently to different environments, sometimes even two kids in the same family. High-performing districts are usually safer choices, but well-funded high-diversity districts may be a better choice for certain students and families.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:58 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Yes, but we rank schools in Chelsea, Lowell and Springfield in large part for their drop out rates and low scores too. So should we not do that and say that those schools are great?

Old 04-20-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, but we rank schools in Chelsea, Lowell and Springfield in large part for their drop out rates and low scores too. So should we not do that and say that those schools are great?
Do they send many kids to top colleges? Ridge does.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,246 times
I'm looking into Cambridge schools for my kindergartener, 2nd grader and 4th grader. We are coming from a small town. How is the community? I have heard all the schools in the city are very different from one another. Which ones are more desirable? We are just looking for a good education and support for our high functioning ASD boy.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppa20 View Post
I'm looking into Cambridge schools for my kindergartener, 2nd grader and 4th grader. We are coming from a small town. How is the community? I have heard all the schools in the city are very different from one another. Which ones are more desirable? We are just looking for a good education and support for our high functioning ASD boy.
You really need to visit the schools,I believe Haggerty has a well regarded special needs program. In general Graham and Parks is usually the most wait-listed school but that mostly because it has higher scores due to a higher income student body. There is a choice lottery system so there is never a guarantee you will get your first choice of school. Disclaimer - I have no first-hand knowledge of Cambridge schools.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:40 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,052 times
These rankings confuse me. One of the reasons we're moving to Hopkinton is for the school district, but it doesn't rank well on dreamschool finder. Yet, it's #5 in the state on US news ranking and even ahead of Lexington. I don't get it. I haven't visited any schools either and my girls have more than a decade before they get to high school.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:55 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
These rankings confuse me. One of the reasons we're moving to Hopkinton is for the school district, but it doesn't rank well on dreamschool finder. Yet, it's #5 in the state on US news ranking and even ahead of Lexington. I don't get it. I haven't visited any schools either and my girls have more than a decade before they get to high school.
It looks like that site is based on what you input for criteria. We would all get different results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts