Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 AM

63 posts, read 105,706 times

Advertisements

WE LOVE IT.

That's the short version. The long version is that we moved into our new apartment in Arlington on April 2, then were promptly greeted by a late-season snow. It was okay, though, because my son got some light-up Darth Vader snow boots dirt cheap, and got to have a snowball fight for the first time. Since then, we've been exploring. Arlington is PERFECT for us. We're walking distance from everything we could ever want (parks, grocery stores, a post office, etc.), and the area is family-friendly while being a very short train ride to Boston. We attended the Patriots Day Parade last weekend and loved it in all its glorious cheesiness.

And the apartment! IS AWESOME. Beautiful, spacious, flexible layout, nice neighborhood, all our preferred amenities, and for way less than we paid for half the space in Cali. The crazy thing is that the first time we stepped inside it was moving day (a local friend scouted placed for us), so we really lucked out!

Cons? Ummmm, not many so far.... mostly just standard Massachusetts problems, I understand. Like the roads make NO SENSE. And the drivers are scary. Only met one smug hipster so far, over in Cambridge. And childcare costs a fortune. But those are pretty minor problems compared to all the amazing things this place has to offer (which I would go into in greater detail except that you'd probably be able to pinpoint exactly where we are).

So, THANK YOU for all your help over the last year! We think we're going to be very happy here. Also seem to be growing a little Red Sox fan, much to the chagrin of his Yankee-fan grandfather.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 10:03 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Nice update, welcome to Mass.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:52 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
Welcome indeed! You'll be fine. The roads will never make sense, nor will the drivers.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:23 AM

113 posts, read 154,266 times
Cheers. I've been renting in East Arlington, which is too dense for my tastes, but just bought a nice single family house in town. Arlington has grown on me. Great location for me and my wife, our joint commute to Cambridge & Boston is about 45 min by car. 30 min if no traffic. Hope you caught a glimpse of the Patriot's Day parade, it was pretty cool.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 AM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Congrats and welcome...glad it is working out for you, Arlington is a great town

Old 04-27-2016, 02:23 PM

63 posts, read 105,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo21 View Post
Cheers. I've been renting in East Arlington, which is too dense for my tastes, but just bought a nice single family house in town. Arlington has grown on me. Great location for me and my wife, our joint commute to Cambridge & Boston is about 45 min by car. 30 min if no traffic. Hope you caught a glimpse of the Patriot's Day parade, it was pretty cool.
Yeah, the Patriot's Day parade was fun! And the commute is nice and easy on the Red Line, so we can get away with only owning one car for now. Will be interested to hear how you like your new house, since we'll probably be ready to buy in a few years.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:04 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEverywhereUSA View Post
WE LOVE IT.

That's the short version. The long version is that we moved into our new apartment in Arlington on April 2, then were promptly greeted by a late-season snow. It was okay, though, because my son got some light-up Darth Vader snow boots dirt cheap, and got to have a snowball fight for the first time. Since then, we've been exploring. Arlington is PERFECT for us. We're walking distance from everything we could ever want (parks, grocery stores, a post office, etc.), and the area is family-friendly while being a very short train ride to Boston. We attended the Patriots Day Parade last weekend and loved it in all its glorious cheesiness.

And the apartment! IS AWESOME. Beautiful, spacious, flexible layout, nice neighborhood, all our preferred amenities, and for way less than we paid for half the space in Cali. The crazy thing is that the first time we stepped inside it was moving day (a local friend scouted placed for us), so we really lucked out!

Cons? Ummmm, not many so far.... mostly just standard Massachusetts problems, I understand. Like the roads make NO SENSE. And the drivers are scary. Only met one smug hipster so far, over in Cambridge. And childcare costs a fortune. But those are pretty minor problems compared to all the amazing things this place has to offer (which I would go into in greater detail except that you'd probably be able to pinpoint exactly where we are).

So, THANK YOU for all your help over the last year! We think we're going to be very happy here. Also seem to be growing a little Red Sox fan, much to the chagrin of his Yankee-fan grandfather.....
Nice, sounds like you scored in that little slice of Arlington that is walkable while also having T access. Congrats.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:52 AM

317 posts, read 430,896 times
Imagine moving to the area in the pre-GPS era!

Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 AM

14 posts, read 14,765 times
Curious where you moved from in California. We are in LA and contemplating moving back to the MA area - mainly for public schools and being near families

Old 05-15-2016, 11:50 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Welcome indeed! You'll be fine. The roads will never make sense, nor will the drivers.
Yesterday I saw a car on 128 (I-95) blow past its exit, come to a full stop fifty feet later in its lane, and start reversing IN THE LANE (not the shoulder) until it could exit. That is so bat !#$% crazy and dangerous I'm at a total loss for words. I've never seen anything even close to it outside Boston. The best part was that people didn't even honk. They just drove around the car. How one of the most educated populaces can switch off their brains once they start driving is beyond comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts