Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to MA with 3 kids (currently in elementary / preschool) and I am wondering what schools (if any) in the MetroWest area might be considered "pressure cookers" or high pressure / lots of homework, focus on test scores, etc.? I have read a lot on this forum but it can to hard to tell what people mean by "great" schools. I would like schools that provide a wonderful education but that are also positive places for kids to be. I do not want an overly intense environment that prioritizes test scores at the expense of recess, the arts, and a generally well-rounded education. The job may be in the Hopkinton area so I have been looking there as well as at Natick, Framingham, Westborough, Southborough, Holliston, Ashland, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX2MA View Post
We are planning to move to MA with 3 kids (currently in elementary / preschool) and I am wondering what schools (if any) in the MetroWest area might be considered "pressure cookers" or high pressure / lots of homework, focus on test scores, etc.? I have read a lot on this forum but it can to hard to tell what people mean by "great" schools. I would like schools that provide a wonderful education but that are also positive places for kids to be. I do not want an overly intense environment that prioritizes test scores at the expense of recess, the arts, and a generally well-rounded education. The job may be in the Hopkinton area so I have been looking there as well as at Natick, Framingham, Westborough, Southborough, Holliston, Ashland, etc.
Most of the schools out by I-495 aren't considered "pressure cooker" compared to most of the ones along 128. IMO the closest one is A-B, although towns like Westborough and Shrewsbury are getting worse. I think the worst pressure cooker schools are in towns with the highest population of engineers.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:14 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I think the worst pressure cooker schools are in towns with the highest population of engineers.

Are there stats on things like that?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
There are towns that have a rep of pressure cooker type schools but for the most part, I don't think those schools sacrifice recess or the arts for better test scores. Expectations are high and the pace in general is fast and can be intense. This isn't the South. But there is a balance of course - have fun, do well.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Are there stats on things like that?
I wish, it would have made my decision much easier. I prefaced my comment with 'IMO' which is just that - my opinion based on my limited experience speaking with people from work, parents from other towns whose kids play sports with my kids, other parents at Chinese school, etc. Engineers tend to push their kids harder academically than parents working in other fields, again - based on my limited experience.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:37 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Engineers tend to push their kids harder academically than parents working in other fields, again - based on my limited experience.

I guess you are right. My kids are 3 and I may or may not have already begun steering them....

Old 05-02-2016, 07:25 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
I would say the corporate exec management types push them the hardest.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I guess you are right. My kids are 3 and I may or may not have already begun steering them....
I still have horrible memories of my engineer relatives trying to help me with math homework as a kid.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Most of the schools out by I-495 aren't considered "pressure cooker" compared to most of the ones along 128. IMO the closest one is A-B, although towns like Westborough and Shrewsbury are getting worse. I think the worst pressure cooker schools are in towns with the highest population of engineers.
This is probably true. I'm not aware of any stats on point, but your cutthroat-engineers theory makes sense when you consider population trends and cultural stereotypes (see profiles.doe.mass.edu). It's no coincidence that the three towns you've listed near I-495 have remarkably high concentrations of Asians, particularly Indians, who tend to gravitate toward Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. According to the Mass DOE site, my daughter's elementary school was more than 40% Asian last year, and no other minority group had more than 2% representation.

Anecdotally, two different parents asked about the "sciences curriculum" and "STEM opportunities" during my daughter's kindergarten pre-orientation, and one of her classmates reportedly told her that she wouldn't be allowed into 1st grade because she colored some apples blue during an exercise. I wasn't there to hear it, but I wasn't the least bit surprised based on the questions/interactions I've witnessed during open houses. If the parents are this bad in kindergarten, I wouldn't put it past them to lie, cheat, and murder to get their kids through high school with top marks.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I still have horrible memories of my engineer relatives trying to help me with math homework as a kid.
That was my dad. Not "getting" math was not a valid rationale in his mind. The man did programming on an Apple 2+ for "fun" at home, and built our joysticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts