Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:02 PM

609 posts, read 2,242,594 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am wondering if a rental permit is required for a vacation rental property on the Cape. I have a friend who has a property in the town of Barnstable and is planning to rent out a few weeks in the summer.

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 07:40 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Hi,

I am wondering if a rental permit is required for a vacation rental property on the Cape. I have a friend who has a property in the town of Barnstable and is planning to rent out a few weeks in the summer.

Thanks....
A believe rental permit is not required for short vacation rentals through services like AirBnB or HomeAway. However I'm not entirely sure what the minimum rental period is that requires a rental permit. Honestly I would not bother to get a rental permit, chances are nothing will happen.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
It's a $90 fee to register your rental property in the town of Barnstable. That's a no brainer. Just do it.

Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,693,252 times
I'd be more worried about making sure your homeowners insurance is ok with rentals.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:31 AM

Homeowners insurance allows for up to 12 weeks of rental per year I believe.

@Mike: The issue is not the money but the hassle of yearly inspections and what not. I think if everyone else is doing it, it makes sense to just get the permit.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:41 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Study up. Unlicensed vacation rentals have been watched by the WA town I live in for a while, partly because no sales tax is collected.

In response to this situation playing out in other towns also, AirBnB announced that they will be collecting tax on WA listings.

I guess that's why city suddenly wants to allow vacation rentals of non-owner-occupied houses! They get to say, "Homeowner you can now legally rent it without being there yourself...if you buy a permit of course. So scofflaws beware, now you have no excuse for NOT registering and paying taxes." Here come the fines.

For the record, I have no financial interest in the matter, but I do have a quality-of-life interest.

Here is the link for what I mentioned above:
https://www.airbnbaction.com/paying-...hington-state/

Last edited by pikabike; 05-20-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
@Mike: The issue is not the money but the hassle of yearly inspections and what not. I think if everyone else is doing it, it makes sense to just get the permit.
Is a once a year inspection really that big of a hassle? Your friend should book the inspection for a Friday or Monday and go down to the Cape for a long weekend. Now it's a vacation not a hassle.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:40 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Is a once a year inspection really that big of a hassle? Your friend should book the inspection for a Friday or Monday and go down to the Cape for a long weekend. Now it's a vacation not a hassle.
It can certainly be a hassle depending on whether the house meets code or not. Do all the bedrooms have fire egress? Smokes in every bedroom? Working GFCI in the bathrooms and kitchen? Not on the Cape but I know people who bumped into thousands of dollars of remediation to bring a rental property up to code. Fire egress from older casement windows can be expensive.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:56 PM

Very interesting thoughts Mike and Geoff; something for him to consider for sure.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It can certainly be a hassle depending on whether the house meets code or not. Do all the bedrooms have fire egress? Smokes in every bedroom? Working GFCI in the bathrooms and kitchen? Not on the Cape but I know people who bumped into thousands of dollars of remediation to bring a rental property up to code. Fire egress from older casement windows can be expensive.
That's a lot cheaper than when someone sues you because there's an electrical fire in your rental because you don't have GFCI outlets and someone dies because they couldn't get out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts