Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 AM

536 posts, read 844,460 times

Advertisements

That a fun thread!

Does anyone remember Pieroni's in Boston? It was near Jordan Marsh, I think on Washington St. We liked their hot turkey sandwiches.

We used to like. . . not sure of the exact name but it might have been Rob Lee's Dynasty, for Chinese food--in Chinatown near the Wash. St shopping.

We would go on drives on the weekend, and I fondly remember having lunch at the White Rabbit, a tearoom I think in Wareham. They always served buttered toast instead of plain bread, a holdover from their early life as a tea-room. I think there is still a retaurant on the site, but it closed years ago. The Toll House is where our family went for special celebrations--that or Hugo's lighthouse (Cohasset?) or Jimmy's Harborside.

My sister and I fondly remember the pub-style restaurant on an upper floor in Filene's--incredible Bloody Marys with celery used as the stirrer.

I went to high school in Brockton, and there was a wonderful diner near the Avon line, the other side of the street from the drive-in. But I don't remember the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Elsie's in Harvard Square

Old 09-18-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post

No one else remembers Aku-Aku in Kenmore Square and by Alewife? C'mon, admit it!

The Alewife one was our go to for dine out Chinese!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 AM

16 posts, read 85,931 times
Default Jimmy's vs. Anthony's

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Jimmy's Harborside in Boston. imho much better than Anthony's Pier 4.
Hubby and I dined at a table next to Diana Ross and her Swedish husband there several years ago. The diners had more class and never made a fuss over them; and left them alone even though it was always crowded. And always interesting people at the bar.

Also remember the Tin Man Diner at the Otis rotary; my mis=spent youth was often weekends on Cape Cod. Used to sit in the curved area in the back and had great breakfasts there any time of the year.
The "age old" question about Pier 4 vs. Harborside. They both served great food. Jimmy had some secret items which were not on the menu but if you knew about them you could impress guests. But, I gotta tell ya, Anthony really made diners welcome. If you had a party and called Mr. Athanas in advance, he would make a big fuss over you and see that you got a table facing the harbor. Bottom line: it was (hopefully, still is) hard to beat dining in Boston. I'm originally from NYC and Boston has everything NY has, just not as much.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehman View Post
Does anyone remember Finally Michael's in Framingham. I had my first Manhattan there with my parent's. Great steaks as I recall
"Finally Michael's," that's a place to remember. Back in the 60's and 70's Framingham folks enjoyed "Anthony's Steakhouse" at the corner of Worcester Rd and Temple St. After Anthony Abu retired, Michael Gillen redecorated the venue in 1979 with full bookcases at dining stations. Michael finally had his own store. In addition to steaks, cooked to perfection, "Finally Michael's" offered a superb wine list with Escargot presented in the shell, Steak Diane and Veal Oscar. You would also be welcome to take a book home if you saw one you wanted to read. Mr. Gillen had interests in several other restaurant properties in downtown Boston and elsewhere. You may remember "Gill's Grill" on route 9 in Westboro. I believe he over-extended and closed shop in 1999. A good 20-year run. Alas, the location is now the site of a CVS.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog267 View Post
Bottom line: it was (hopefully, still is) hard to beat dining in Boston. I'm originally from NYC and Boston has everything NY has, just not as much.

It's closed and torn down. New development being built on site. That area has really changed. The restaurant had really slid in quality the past couple of decades to, it wasn't what it used to be.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antos View Post
I remeber Joe & Nemos hot dogs in Downtown Boston. A quick dog after going thru Filene's basement & Jordan Marsh's basement. Woolworth's actually had a food counter too.
I worked out of an office at the corner of Summer and Kingston, above a Brighams. Great place for lunch. Didn't even have to go outside. Shopped at the "Basement" store, Kennedy's and J-M. Across the street was Joe & Nemos and, just a few doors further down on Summer was Rosoff's. Lunch at Rosoff's was $0.99. Waiters wore white towels on their arms. Rosoff's closed and became Blackfriars. We all know what happened there. Whitey is alleged to have been involved. Steve Flemmi's girlfriend was a hostess at Blackfriars and Steve, allegedly, told her not to show up at work the next day. Other good places for lunch were 99's (the original $0.99 lunch), Pete's and the Laboratory Kitchen at the foot of Summer St. 99's owner, rightfully I believe, felt the suburban market was better. He closed the in-town stores to concentrate on the suburbs and those stores are still doing well. Jimmy's vs Anthony's? Well, it was hard to beat the popovers, lobster Savannah and baked Alaska. Anthony drove a Jag and in 1974 was voted, by the American Restaurant Ass'n., Restauranteur of the Year.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever1950 View Post
yes, and they also had "Michael's Grand Cru on Rt. 1 in Peabody where Bertucci's is now. The owner, turned this location to his son,David Gillen and re-named it: "Finally David's"! This location was the EMERSON steak House before Michael's Grand Cru!
Yup! Same Gillen's as Finally Michael's at Framingham. They ran good shops.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Mondo's...Haymarket Sq...a unique place.

The Café Budapest and The Wursthaus. Unique owners.

No more Locke-Ober nor Elsies. What is Boston coming to.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 09-18-2013 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM

Default Framingham Area

Some may remember a few other choice restaurants in the Framingham area; "Beacon Terrace," Eddie Andelman's "Sea and Surf," (Eddie also had an in-town store near the teapot) and, who could forget Vaughn Monroe's "The Meadows." Shouldn't mention it because it's still there but remember having a hot dog at Clancy's in Natick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts