Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 PM

317 posts, read 743,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
If anyone is familiar with Quincy...anyone remember Eddie's Diner. Now that was the place to go in the middle of the night. The food was bad but the sights were great! It is now a bank.
I always went to Eddies Diner after the bars closed. It was always a good time. There was another down on Quincy Ave that everyone went to after hours but I forget the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM

317 posts, read 743,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRich View Post
also to note--- Finnian's in Quincy closed 3 months ago....my mom used to take me there....very good food!!!
They had a Finnian's in Dedham right off the Xway back in 1992 I took my ex to dinner and told her I wanted a divorce.....I could have done that in a different setting looking back.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 AM

16 posts, read 85,259 times
Default Jacob wirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Oh, gosh, my dad loved Locke-Ober and that silly painting in the bar.
The seafood salad there was outstanding. Sad to hear it is no more. Is Jake Wirth still around? He loved that place, too.
Jacob Wirth's is still there. A great place for lunch or dinner. I'm getting hungry.

Oh, RE: that silly painting in the bar, it was for "men only." Locke-Ober was a landmark case back in the days when feminists were demanding their rights to dine at the "mens' bar" and enjoy the painting.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:06 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,635,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Creedon View Post
Darn.
there was one I think that was the name on the corner of Arch Street in Boston. I liked it but some of my friends didn't. I think lots of the homeless would visit there when it was cold and they were always kind to them.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 PM

there was a red coach Grill in Braintree which I did really like near the Mall. The Bookie places I think way back then the cops also would use them and look the other way.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
I know no one remembers the White Rabbit. We used to always stop there on the way to the Cape for lunch. I used to save the blue and white paper place mats that had rabbits all over them.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:15 PM

I bet the Barnside now is long gone there food was good but lines were long I would go there on my way to Braintree from Cape Cod.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carharsch View Post
I remember Baileys-my friends and I used to cut through R.H. Stearns department store on Tremont St., down a long corridor, directly into Baileys. The hot fudge sundaes were to die for-the warm fudge sauce and warm marshmallow toppings were so
liberally applied that they ran down the sides of the parfait glasses and puddled on the plate.
I still miss Jack and Marion's Jewish Deli in Coolidge Corner, Brookline. The sandwiches were piled so high with pastrami, corned beef, etc. there was plenty to take home.
Great choice for Baileys and it was so good I also was at Jack and Marions a few times and they had ads on WMEX I think good olde Jerry Williams would say to visit them. Ghilchrist had the best datenut bread with cream cheese and macaroons were so good!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM

102 posts, read 446,867 times
Default Lum's is Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phouchg View Post
Any favorite places to eat that are now lost in the midst of antiquity?

I can think of Riley's Roast Beef in South Lawrence. Arby's has nothing on these huge roast beef sandwiches and thick shakes!

Anybody else remember Lum's? It was a chain, and I mostly recall the one in Salem, NH. There were tiffany lamps over each table, and the hamburgers had "Ollie Sauce" which was like spicy thousand island dressing.

How about York's Steak House? There was one at Methuen Mall and (I think) one near Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers. As a kid I loved having my own tray and picking out my dessert from the cafeteria line. The faux medieval decor was great, too.

Finally, anybody else remember Ruggles Pizza? There was one in Downtown Crossing and one in Harvard Square (probably more locations). They had pizzas with cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella. Loved them.

Alas, these are all no more...what do you remember of long gone restaurants in and around Mass.???
Good news, there are two Lum's located in Seekonk, Mass.! Turns out some locals, forever in love with Lum's, decided to bring it back — and successfully did so by purchasing the rights to the recipes and the Lum’s name. Here is more on the Seekonk Lum's: Lum's Family Restaurants Make a Comeback in Seekonk, Mass. | New England Cheap Travel - Budget Travel - Thrifty New England Traveler

Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM

536 posts, read 839,035 times
Hi, in newengland, I posted earlier in this thread on the White Rabbit in Wareham. I guess it is a tiny bar now under a different name, but the building still stands.

We liked to stop there on Sunday drives. On E-Bay once I saw an old placemat from the WR from the 1930s; I guess back in the day it was a tea-room. I liked the toasted bread they served.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts