Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington?
Belmont 37 48.05%
Lexington 40 51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,331,642 times

Advertisements

Lexington schools seem to be extreme pressure cookers. It even made a New York Times article last year. Not sure Belmont is much better but no thanks i'll pass on both!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/e...h-school-.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 04:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
Belmont for me. More suburban-like, while parts of Lexington border on rural. Belmont also has better access to Cambridge and Boston via bus and commuter rail, which are lacking from Lexington.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:23 PM

16,678 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Is Belmont High going down?

https://www.boston.com/news/educatio...gazine-ranking

Old 09-05-2018, 06:31 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Is Belmont High going down?
Belmont High is excellent. Rankings lists aren't worth the click.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:05 AM

134 posts, read 218,818 times
That Boston Magazine list is strange - from what I understand it uses Z score approach than aggregate the component score, but they did not disclosure the percentage weight of each component. For Belmont (or more glaringly Boston Latin) to rank this low with such a high score in MCAS and SAT, the list must have put a lot of weight in small class size and student to teacher ratio (thus school like Dover and Wayland ranks really well).

Ultimately, ranking is a final output of a specific methodology, if you don't agree with the methodology, you should not be bothered by the ranking.

Short answer - Belmont High is fine.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post
That Boston Magazine list is strange - from what I understand it uses Z score approach than aggregate the component score, but they did not disclosure the percentage weight of each component. For Belmont (or more glaringly Boston Latin) to rank this low with such a high score in MCAS and SAT, the list must have put a lot of weight in small class size and student to teacher ratio (thus school like Dover and Wayland ranks really well).

Ultimately, ranking is a final output of a specific methodology, if you don't agree with the methodology, you should not be bothered by the ranking.

Cool. Good to know.

Are both of you familiar with Belmont High?

Old 09-15-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claiz View Post

Hasn't there recently been a lot of administration turnover?

Old 09-15-2018, 01:22 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
I'd like to add that Belmont's Belmont Hill neighborhood has more prestige than anything in Lexington. Also, forget public schools, go private if you can afford it.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,908,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'd like to add that Belmont's Belmont Hill neighborhood has more prestige than anything in Lexington. Also, forget public schools, go private if you can afford it.
I think the brand of Belmont Hill is held in higher regard largely because of the school. But the reality is, to me, the matrix of neighborhoods immediately north of downtown Lexington are just as prestigious. East of Hancock all along Meridian.. I’d say it’s flirting with Chestnut Hill, Wellesley Hills, the Concord Academy area, Western/Wedmegere Winchester, and Belmont Hill as far as affluence and prestige. And, downtown Lexington is only bested by Winchester and Wellesley among that list IMO. Lack of train, though, is likely the biggest pitfalls of that neighborhood and Lexington as a whole.

I still voted Belmont.

Edit: For those that aren’t as familiar with Lexington, here is a great example of the homes in that specific area I referenced- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-14408?view=qv

Old 09-16-2018, 08:14 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I think the brand of Belmont Hill is held in higher regard largely because of the school. But the reality is, to me, the matrix of neighborhoods immediately north of downtown Lexington are just as prestigious. East of Hancock all along Meridian.. I’d say it’s flirting with Chestnut Hill, Wellesley Hills, the Concord Academy area, Western/Wedmegere Winchester, and Belmont Hill as far as affluence and prestige. And, downtown Lexington is only bested by Winchester and Wellesley among that list IMO. Lack of train, though, is likely the biggest pitfalls of that neighborhood and Lexington as a whole.

I still voted Belmont.

Edit: For those that aren’t as familiar with Lexington, here is a great example of the homes in that specific area I referenced- https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-14408?view=qv
If you can afford that house, you can afford to live anywhere.

Personally, I find Lexington overpriced. We originally looked there, but unless you could walk to the Lexington Town Center, you may as well be in Chelmsford. It's not that close to downtown, there is no train, walkability is just so-so. Belmont is significantly more convenient. And if I were paying in the $5 Million range, I'd be in Newton or Brookline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts