Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 06:20 PM

17 posts, read 16,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Driving from any of those towns is no picnic either and you get the privilege of paying tolls on the Mass Pike.
Why would you drive when there's the commuter rail? It takes me an hour door to door to south station. If you are driving to back bay parking is easily $400/mo and driving anywhere in ma is no picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 06:22 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieZ View Post
Why would you drive when there's the commuter rail? It takes me an hour door to door to south station. If you are driving to back bay parking is easily $400/mo and driving anywhere in ma is no picnic.
Correct. My point is telling someone not to live on the South Shore because of traffic driving to Boston and then pitching Metrowest as a better alternative makes no sense.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:53 AM

48 posts, read 54,787 times
Hi,
I live in Stoughton and take the commuter rail to Back Bay Station, a couple blocks from the Pru. We just moved there last June and they have beautiful neighorhoods. I am very happy with our choice.
Stoughton is a 20 min drive (no traffic) to Boston, 35-40 min train ride.
It is within a 5 mile radius of every store that you can think of (Mall, Marshalls, Home Depot, Costco, Market Basket, TJ Maxx - literally every commercial store.)
We are getting a new High School
We neighbor two wealthier towns that can offer a lot as well.

A lot of the houses in neighborhoods have very decent property.
The center of town is not as desireable but i *hear* that is something that groups are working hard to beautify and bring more business to.

I notice that the main streets of Stoughton are off putting, but then you take a turn onto residential streets and the houses and neighborhoods are beautiful. It's weird.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:04 AM

317 posts, read 431,141 times
You can sometimes get into a small 2 bedroom condo in Natick for < or about $300k. Check out what is listed in Natick Village (its a conglomerate of various apartments and condos - PM me if you would like help locating it). It's small, and very much apartment like, but its certainly very feasible with young children I would think.

The reasons I suggest this are: 1) It is very close to a commuter rail that would have a stop at Back Bay station (short walk to the Pru from there). There is a cost factor (passes are about $260 per month), but will get you there in 25-40 minutes depending on what time you catch the train. 2) Natick offers a wide range of housing prices to upgrade into as you move forward, and 3) Natick is an excellent school district, so even if you don't move by the time your oldest begins school, you are in a good district, and can move within the district to a larger home.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodybody View Post
You can sometimes get into a small 2 bedroom condo in Natick for < or about $300k. Check out what is listed in Natick Village (its a conglomerate of various apartments and condos - PM me if you would like help locating it). It's small, and very much apartment like, but its certainly very feasible with young children I would think.
It's actually 3 separate condo associations. One is Natick Village. The other two are Natick Green and Deerfield Forest. There's also an apartment complex back there, but the name escapes me.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:09 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
I think they could still get into something small in Dedham. That's where I'd go with their criteria.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:13 PM

12 posts, read 6,494 times
Hingam is nice, Weymouth is ok some parts nicer than others. Commuter rail now goes right through too. Kind of a commute. Quincy is super close but you would need to research locations as some areas are much nicer than others. Braintree is nicer and both have quick access to the trains or would be the best car commute. Framingham is awful. Stoughton is nice but further than the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts